• LordZarlon - May 26, 2014 3:03 p.m.

Great video guys! I know that I really wouldn't want to go back to that time but, I had a lot of fun gaming in the Nineties.
  • KevK - April 27, 2014 6:23 p.m.

Man it's all coming back now. Ball mice. The wheels inside got really dirty really quickly and cleaning them was a real PITA. And Amiga joysticks which only had one fire button. Fighting games like the Amiga original Body Blows and Nintendos Street Fighter II (when it eventually came out for Amiga) meant annoying combinations of joystick movements were required for special moves. Sorry, all my issues are Amiga related but I smiled at and can relate to a lot of the original issues raised, especially the original Playstation. I remember seeing some Playstations which had to be upturned on their side and balanced resting on the open lid with the lid sensor held down by blue tack so that a disc could be played.
  • KevK - April 27, 2014 6:08 p.m.

These issues started for me in the 80's but continued into the 90's. Elaborating on the issue of multiple cd's with games, some games for Commodore Amiga often had 3 or 4 floppy disks with Secret Of Monkey Island 2 having 11, YES that's 11 floppy disks. If you didn't have an expensive additional external floppy drive or two for your single floppy drive Amiga that meant a LOT of disk swapping. Similair to the issue raised about cd's being easily scratched was an issue with the floppy disks of the Amiga generation of computers being susceptible to corruption by magnetic fields. This meant that putting your floppy disks near anything remotley magnetic or anything which generated a large or strong magnetic field or even your CRT television set could mean that when you inserted the disk you would get a disk read error sometimes during gameplay of a multiple disk game. I knew lots of people who suffered from disk corruption and who had no idea why the disk had become corrupted. Sometimes it just seemed to happen spontaneously but was obviously due to it being exposed to a magnetic field at some point. It also led to what would now be considered hilarious instances of people (including me) screaming NOOOOOO!! as your friend, while swapping a disk out, took the disk from the Amiga and placed it on top of the TV while he reached for another. TV's in those days could and often did, comfortably hold many ornaments, clocks and various clutter on top of them. Some were gargantuan even being as long as 2 feet (front to back) for big screen TV's which meant another issue from the days before TFT screens was that moving a TV was sometimes a two or three man job.
  • Divinusmortalis - April 25, 2014 1:54 p.m.

I made an account just for this occasion. I'm 26, soon to be 27 at the end of May. Now feels like a good time to share my childhood experiences with games. Not ALL details will be included, just ones relevant to the article with maybe a few exceptions at the very end of my post. Each entry is in correlation with the slide number. 2.Gameboy original, teal gameboy color with twisty light extension, gameboy advanced sp 4.Demo disk including first tony hawk stage from pizza hut 5.tetris passwords 6.missing at least two of four FF8 game CDs 8.watched a friend beat Legend of Zelda using a nintendo power guide 9. Yes it was my only cd player and I thought of it as cutting edge for gaming 10. blisters were to battle wounds as aches are to good workouts. "Man I played the hell out of [game]. Look at my damn blisters, it was intense!" 13. One time I wanted to finally own FF8 for myself after playing it on a demo. (see 4) Went to a game pawn and luckily there was a copy! I wasn't new to scratches so I checked the quality. Each CD had a horrendous amount of scratches. Showed the lady tending the store and she was just like "Oh, give it here" She walked me to a CD grinding wheel and before I knew it I watched in horror as my game was being grinded down! You could tell that the CD was buffered, but the scratches were gone and the game worked like a charm. As of right now I dont even know where they all are. 14. When I got a N64 for my birthday I got Mario and Turok. For years I would try my damnedest to beat turok without the memory card to no avail. I didn't want to inconvenience my mother any further by asking for the save pack. 19. I once had DBZ battle 22 whatever that I got from an online gaming specialty shop. Had to use a special adapter in the back of the PS1 and also use a crazy CD to put the playstation into a mode that would allow it to run a japanese game then swap it while the PS ran to make it work. 23. I didnt have a memory thing, but I remember having a rumble pak instead, for some reason. The only game I really appreciated it with was Starfox 64 Now on to the irrelevant. There's one vile thing I owned back in the day that made even the coolest person in the world look like a complete jackass, and that thing is the button mat you can plug into the Nintendo for the olympic game. You couldn't be on it or walk away from it without complete hilarity ensuing from friends and family. Lastly, the era of the gameshark. The only time I would ever cheat was using codes for Turok and used a gameshark CD for something I cant remember. Might have also had something to do with DBZ.
  • bogarth-rigor - April 14, 2014 2:19 a.m.

nice article man! I loved playing donkeykong, pitfall, asteroids, galaga on atari, until our dad kept the console locked for life. no use bustin it out, we only had one TV set he would surely find out. during battle city days, the owner of the console rules, he shoots our own eagle if he doesn't get the star that makes his tank big. (i could not afford a console that time and for a long time) using pc tools and sidekick, we used to modify our DOS disks so nobody can use it when borrowed and they can never find out we have games in our disks at school. i miss the 2d conquer - is about deploying, attacking, forces, making alies on a map of middle east, its a lot like risk. played it on a monochrome green screen with intel286 processor. also miss prince of persia 2d. then duke came then delta force and comandos then red alert, diablo, warcraft. now the last game i loved playing and singing was beatles rockband on my own xbox 360. hehe.
  • cyk0sis - April 6, 2014 7:40 a.m.

Here are mine... It starts out here: - Not being allowed a console as kid Which then turned into: - Having different config.sys and autoexec.bat files for every single game. - Switching between different settings for EMM386 and whatever the other memory manager was - Having some games not work on DOS 6.22, and having to switch down to 6.01 or 5. - Having no soundcard until I saved up for like 18 months, and then.. - Having no Gravis Ultrasound support and being stuck with Adlib, or even worse, the bleeper - Forgetting to set the environment variables for the Gravis or SoundBlaster - Not being able to get Soundblaster emulation working properly - Forgetting to load the mouse driver - Calibrating the damn joystick - Losing floppy disk X of Willy Beamish / Wing Commander / Space Quest 238462346 Those were the days! However I did learn to have a lot of patience with computers quite quickly.
  • raidramon0 - April 4, 2014 4:13 p.m.

What's scary about this list is that slide 6 actually happened to me. I scratched the front cover of Disc 1 of Final Fantasy 9 and I had to buy the game again just to replace the one disc.
  • Charlie123abc - April 2, 2014 3:32 a.m.

I remember me and my brothers called it "screen-perving" lol
  • simplethunder - April 1, 2014 12:07 p.m.

heh, /r/lewronggeneration would appreciate this.
  • Scoob - April 1, 2014 12:54 a.m.

If you really want an example to manual one: -Star Tropics. In the middle of the game, there was part where in order to get any further, you needed to enter a 3 digit code. This code was written on a letter included with the game, which needed to be dipped in water to see. I borrowed the game from a cousin and came to that part. I somehow just guessed it right, but if you didn't have that letter, and didn't want to guess it, game magazines at the time had it in their cheat code sections.
  • Turbojacket - March 31, 2014 noon

I sorely miss opening an N64 box. Flimsy as they were, it was just such a more exciting experience than biting off squeaky cellophane from a DVD case.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 31, 2014 4:29 a.m.

By the way, does anyone else miss a good manual? I used to love reading them on the way home from the shops before I played and Rockstar used to produce awesome ones like the Liberty City tourist guide one (GTA3) or Manhunt's "Starkweather video" catalogue style manual.
  • CitizenWolfie - March 31, 2014 4:27 a.m.

I remember all of this BS. Me and my bestie had a "no screen watching" rule right up to Timesplitters Future Perfect on PS2. But still for all the crap mentioned I loved gaming unconditionally back then. I'll take "having to blow on a cartridge" or double checking memory cards before playing over having to wait while day one patches install, locked content or mandatory game installs. I'm glad PS4 lets you play while updates etc install in the background.
  • Lindsaaayerin - March 30, 2014 6:14 p.m.

I love you and I love your Aerosmith reference!! I used my PS1 as a CD player often, lol.
  • alex-roy-bristol - March 29, 2014 6:04 p.m.

I was playing House of the Dead at the movie theater, and it made me wait for that drug psa to go away, and I turned to my girlfriend and said "Yeah, 'cause House of-the-freaking Dead was made by a bunch of sober people..." Man, I remember thinking my 4p link-cable was broken, but it turns out my twin and I where just too damn stupid to check the number of little embossed dots on the plug to see which player was which! Man, 90's games had the best problems...
  • RadgarLaser2 - March 29, 2014 1:11 p.m.

The only 2 problems I could relate to is having multiple gameboys and end boss fighting game difficulty especially for SNK games. As the other things I sort of just dealt with it. I would have to buy multiple memory cards for each of my brothers anyway because were always running out of storage space, I sent in for the free glove for the Mario Party game, and as surprising as people make it sound I keep all my boxes and CD cases in relatively good condition for all my games. Where else would I keep them when I'm done playing with them?
  • MidianGTX - March 29, 2014 12:16 p.m.

Regarding "Continue?" screens... it was highly annoying whenever the main action button didn't actually confirm, but instead sped up the countdown. Where's the logic behind that?
  • Target-Renegade - March 29, 2014 1:17 p.m.

hehehe man i can relate to that i lost several continues in dinosaurs and Cadillacs in that way lol
  • mendozatony - March 29, 2014 1:51 p.m.

So that the next person can mash the action button quickly to start his new game instead of waiting.
  • Slipperyjoe - March 28, 2014 4:07 p.m.

Wireless controllers where a master stroke