• Divine Paladin - April 27, 2012 9:12 a.m.

You're overreacting WAY to much for something like this. Fans of Sony's have been begging for YEARS for a Smash Bros. clone, and when Sony delivers one, you're going to complain? Of course Sony's not the most original company out there, but let's face it, this game will sell millions, and Sony needs that money more than ever before. Saying that, while neglecting to note the other ripoffs that have come out recently is pathetic and almost an insult to me as a gamer. This is almost as bad as viciously attacking BioWare for the one mistake (let's not count Dragon Age II here) they made and in the same breath praising Activision for making such "amazing" games. Now, what makes it more saddening for me to read this article is that you also admit that Sony is usually the most groundbreaking out of the Big Three. Shouldn't such a high amount of uniqueness and creativity actually damage a company after a while? It makes sense on Sony's part to give in to trite concepts, because it costs quite a bit of money to be unique. The worst part, in my eyes, of your complaint is that you've immediately written off the game as a 100% clone. They've shown ONE trailer, and you're bashing it as if it were Call of Duty Black Ops 48. I'm going to at least wait to judge the game, as any gamer should, before I write it off as copypasted bullcrap.
  • Hobogonigal - April 27, 2012 9:50 a.m.

To be honest, I think you are also overreacting yourself. Mr Houghton has labelled all of his points and given his reasons which makes it his opinion. Your first paragraph doesn't really make much sense at all. While Sony sure does need money, they have clearly ripped off an idea from nintendo not for the first time (Playstation Move, Little Big Planet Karting etc.) The author is just simply pointing this out and showing examples which validate his claims. Why would the author even need to consider other non-sony rip-offs, when this article is dealing with the topic of this Sony Brawler. Its really essay/article 101, stick to the topic or else it just becomes way off track. Don;t see what Bioware or Activision have to do with this game. Your second paragraph also makes no sense as well as you state that by being original, this will 'damage' a company 'because it costs quite a bit of money'. Of course, this is why Nintendo and, dare I say, Apple are failing isn't it... oh wait hold on. Nintendo have had there first loss in decades and I'm sure its safe to say it won't happen again now that the 3DS is selling like mad. Apple... $108billion revenue last year isn't too bad is it? Lastly the author hasn't totally written it off as 100% clone, maybe 75%. I think the author is really using past evidence to support the fact that from the trailer, this game looks extremely like Super Smash Bros. The level design looks similar, attacks look similar, Super smash is similar to the final smash etc. Sure, there may be a wealth of original content in this Sony brawler but why have they not shown it in the trailer instead of something that looks like a rip-off. Then again, it might be great. Or even fantastic. Who knows? However we are all allowed to make predictions and state our opinions regarding a game and this is what the author has done. Don't quickly blame him for merely showing his stance.
  • Divine Paladin - April 27, 2012 7:07 p.m.

I have one thing to say in response: Trolololol. I literally went on a mindless rant because I hadn't done so in the entire Week of Hate. Thank you for taking the bait. (Looking at it again, I probably should've messed up some spelling and grammar more to make myself seem much more like a moron.) That being said, I still do actually wholly disagree with the author's point. I feel that his complaints aren't necessary in an underused genre that SHOULD be much larger (that being what I call the Smash Bros. genre; I don't personally consider the SSB games close enough to be called "Fighters" due to their major differences in gameplay and Party-Game feel). If these complaints had been about, say, MOH Warfighter, a complete and total CoD clone in a genre that doesn't need more of those, I'd agree. In a genre that has a sum of maybe a dozen games, though - and one that needs expansion - these kinds of complaints just seem dumb (for lack of a better word).
  • Hobogonigal - April 27, 2012 8:50 p.m.

Looks like we both took each others bait for the week of hate. I think mine was maybe a bit too elaborate really. Next time I'll just call someone a name and it would save me a lot of time. I still disagree with you though, you...um...n00b.
  • Divine Paladin - April 27, 2012 9:17 p.m.

This is why I enjoy the Week of Hate. Even unrelated articles can cause double-trolling, and that's just pretty unique.
  • Veedot - April 27, 2012 9:12 a.m.

Guess sonys just paying nintendo back for what they did in to them in the past... also DreamMix TV World Fighters,Jump Ultimate Stars, Battle Stadium D.O.N, and TMNT smash up
  • bazookatooth17 - April 27, 2012 9:12 a.m.

definitely one of the ones coveting smash bros. and i suppory this purely for the fact that i want a smash bros. esque party brawler without having to remove my manhood and buy nintendo
  • christian-shaffer - April 27, 2012 10:11 a.m.

Since when does buying Nintendo remove your manhood? I guess you forgot that a lot of us grew up on Nintendo seeing as it was here before Sony or Microsoft decided to get in the game. You don't have to buy a Wii in order to play Smash Bros. Get a Gamecube or an N64. It's not like you're shelling out a lot of cash for one of those consoles. I actually prefer Smash on GC as opposed to Wii, but that's my opinion. Let's not pretend buying Nintendo makes you any less of a man though. That's just ignorant.
  • bazookatooth17 - April 27, 2012 10:38 a.m.

I was referring to the Wii which most people that would post comments, me included, feel is way to childish. I grew up on nintendo and challenge anyone to battle me in Smash 64 however after gamecube nintendos quality of games plummeted, mario and zelda franchises aside. I would get a 64 but would rather spend that money buying games for the current generation.
  • Cyberninja - April 27, 2012 12:30 p.m.

If you think the wii is childish you haven't played madworld.
  • CombatWombat101 - April 27, 2012 12:55 p.m.

Yeah man, one whole game changes a system's public image entirely.
  • christian-shaffer - April 27, 2012 4:13 p.m.

I would agree with that. I have a Wii and the only games I got for it were Twilight Princess, Smash Bros, Mario Galaxy, and the Super Mario Bros Wii. I got probably about two weeks play out of it and I haven't touched it since. I appreciate the clarification.
  • alex-torres-gastelum - May 11, 2012 2:31 a.m.

"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence."- C.S. Lewis
  • J-Fid - April 27, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Is there something good that can come out of this? Well, Sakurai can look at this game and say, "Well we know what NOT to include in the next Smash Bros."