• talleyXIV - December 18, 2011 10:35 p.m.

Honestly it has to be Skyrim and I haven't even played it yet.... however I have played Portal 2. And as much as it blew my mind and how much fun it was... it still was only like 15 hours of gameplay between co-op and singleplayer. When a game like Skyrim has so much variety in gameplay styles and options and easily over 100 hours of gameplay, it has to win GOTY. So game of the year for insane innovation: Portal 2. True game of the year: Skyrim. Best of the same: Skyward Sword.
  • SerpentineZERO - December 24, 2011 10:21 a.m.

Length should never be a factor.
  • DoctorGordonFreeman - December 27, 2011 3:26 p.m.

True that
  • felkster - December 18, 2011 9:35 p.m.

Deus Ex: HR!!
  • FinderKeeper - December 18, 2011 9:33 p.m.

So when does the GOTY edition of Portal 2 come out? ;-)
  • Fox_Mulder - December 18, 2011 2:22 p.m.

But, but, The Old Republic hasn't even released yet!!!!!
  • GarySteinman - December 18, 2011 3:31 p.m.

We actually discussed that one at great length. Our take: Even though TOR technically is released in 2011, an MMO doesn't really warrant a proper and definitive review until a few weeks in, when it's been properly stress-tested and when the community emerges (which is essential to the MMO experience). In other words, there's no way to fully assess the game until early 2012. So we'll be including TOR in our nominees for all categories in 2012. Stay tuned for a ton of coverage of TOR surrounding the release, though!
  • LEGOMatrix - December 18, 2011 1:16 p.m.

Xenoblade Chronicles gave me the most enjoyment this year.
  • kiing8kong6 - December 18, 2011 1:03 p.m.

UNCHARTED TWO! SCREW YOU GUYS
  • pur3p0w3r - December 18, 2011 10:34 a.m.

Call of Duty?! Not even on the list?! I weep tears of undying joy!!
  • TheKennedyCurse - December 18, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Seriously? Portal 2? It's a fun game, but nowhere near your moneys-worth. I almost 100-percented it in a weekend.
  • LordZarlon - December 18, 2011 8:07 a.m.

I agree with Portal 2. I remember all of the excitement and glowing reviews you guys gave it back when it came out. In fact all of the gaming media outlets were talking about Portal 2 being a strong contender for game of the year. It was all this hype that actually made me take advantage of the Valve sale on Steam back in the spring. I hadn't played either Portal or Portal 2 until that sale and after hearing all of the hype I decided to jump on board. What a wonderful experience those games were. For the record, the hype surrounding them is well deserved.
  • Sinosaur - December 18, 2011 7:57 a.m.

Despite the fact that I've played a ton of excellent games since Portal 2 came out (good god, that was a rush of games), the fact that when we got to the end of the year and I went back to think about which of the games I'd played I'd even consider for the position, Portal 2 was pretty much the first title to pop up into my head and stay there says a lot. I played a lot of games I really loved this year, but almost all of them had some little flaws for me that just kept them from being a true game of the year. The only game that managed to stick with it was Arkham City, and even as I mildly pushed for it in my head, deep down I kept thinking Portal 2. That really shows some staying power. And to the people still saying Skyrim should have won: I have yet to play it (do still want to play it, but Oblivion kind of burned me), but when you have tons and tons of stories about bugs (some absolutely game breaking), you cannot just keep rewarding things like that. When Skyrim is actually done (and I'm not really that worried about the stupid little bugs, those can be fun), then maybe it would be enough to earn the top spot. Portal 2 actually was perfect; I can't think of anything I would do to change it, and that and the staying power of its story and characters really do say a lot about it. Congrats, Portal 2.
  • CaptCOMMANDO - December 18, 2011 6:39 a.m.

I agree with a comment down below. Monopoly had game of the year written all over it. I mean, have you ever beaten monopoly? Endless fun!
  • Felixthecat - December 18, 2011 3:32 a.m.

So you didn't pick Skyrim because it's riddled with bugs? What do you expect from a game that takes place in such a massive setting? Again, the lack of Deus Ex is sad. It's a stunning game.
  • ChaosEternal - December 18, 2011 1:12 p.m.

Agreed. Deus Ex: HR is personally now my favorite game of all time. ^.^
  • jackthemenace - December 18, 2011 1:52 a.m.

Wow. I honestly thought It'd end up being down to Either Arkham City or Skyrim, but, going back and playing it again, i remember just how amazing and immersive Portal 2 really IS. Good choice.
  • Nikku7 - December 17, 2011 11:26 p.m.

Portal 2 is the greatest Pixar movie of all video games. I can't think of very many other games that could capture that same incredible and unique feel.
  • Fox_Mulder - December 18, 2011 2:22 p.m.

Ratchet and Clank?
  • TwinHallow - December 17, 2011 10:59 p.m.

...and skyrim is a perrty black and white kinda game ppl either love it or hate it an skyward sword is great but i dont think its as popular and batman is great and i have never play portal 2 so idk but seems intresting that puzzle type game won