Topics

editorial

• archnite - August 29, 2013 6:22 a.m.

I seriously thought it was April 1st for a second.
  • kaleb-mayhew - August 29, 2013 2:33 p.m.

As did I,as did I...
  • kpnut - August 29, 2013 3:25 a.m.

I like the idea of it. I've never been a fan of 3D so a non 3D version that still plays 3DS games and is cheaper is something I like. But that design is fail, if they had've kept the clam shell it would've (probably) been a winner as it is now it's just ugly.
  • artcellrox - August 29, 2013 1:10 a.m.

>kids twerking to their One Direction CD COOP! YOU'RE KILLIN' ME HERE! Honestly though, the $50 cheaper is a very solid sounding deal for me, considering our exchange rate is now USD$1 = almost 80 Bangladeshi Taka. And we're a poor country as it is! But yes, the design, and now that I realize it, the name is pretty stupid. I honestly think a simple 3DS Lite would have sufficed.
  • dangomushi - August 28, 2013 10:51 p.m.

This stuff is simple for people like us to understand, but parents and grandparents will lose their minds whilst buying gifts for their kids. I used to work in the electronics department at a Target store and shoppers just could not grasp the concept of the 3DS playing 3DS and DS games while the DS could not play 3DS games. This 2DS business will really complicate things. Games will need to have "playable on 2DS and 3DS" on the spine now. I don't know if this is still the case, but DS lite, DSi, and DSi XL were still being widely sold a year ago and people had a hard enough time accepting that those were essentially the same platform. Thanks, Hollander, for making me LOL with a mouth full of strawberries as I read your remark about kids twerking to their One Direction CD.
  • RavensPoet - August 28, 2013 10:36 p.m.

If they could have shrunk it down to..... say the size of a Gameboy pocket, I would be really impressed with it. Otherwise, as others have said, I just don't get it
  • shawksta - August 28, 2013 9:46 p.m.

Apparently there's massive negativity, even in the actual video with dislikes overpowering the Likes. It seems they just dont understand that it wasnt made for THEM. But frankly it is stupid, maybe Nintendo will re-consider
  • BladedFalcon - August 29, 2013 6:38 a.m.

The "It wasn't made for THEM" Argument doesn't really fly either though, since this new design isn't at all kid friendly when you think about it. It's way easier to scratch the screens now, and unless it's carried in bagpacks, there's no way kids can put it in their pockets... And carrying it in bagpacks makes it REALLY easy to be scratched by stuff inside. How exactly is this kid friendly? Or, in the words of Polygon's Justin McElroy: "Ricky, why are you crying?" "Mom, the 3DS fell into my pocket again!" "There's gotta be a better way!" [Nintendo 2DS logo,fade to black]
  • shawksta - August 29, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Hah okay that one was good XD Either way, the fact that Nintendo is releasing it alongside Pokemon X and Y is clearly shown for the reason as being cheap and such but jeez the design is just a massive throw off.
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - August 28, 2013 9:44 p.m.

Removing the clamshell design for kids was actually brilliant. I know 5 kids under the age of eight that have absolutely destroyed the hinges on their DS's. Source; I have three brothers and I work with kids
  • BladedFalcon - August 29, 2013 6:40 a.m.

And now you can have fun telling us stories of kids who destroyed or scratched their screens because they keeps putting the thing in weird places. Or how they keep breaking because they can't put it in pockets and it keeps falling off their bagpacks! :D
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - September 3, 2013 1:01 a.m.

Nah
  • ~LanceR. - August 28, 2013 9:10 p.m.

I kind of like the design; but I can see a lot of problems with this, such as ergonomics and portability.. Looks like a great collectors item though.
  • C.King - August 28, 2013 8:56 p.m.

number 1 problemo i thinking is how would u streetpass? that's like the real main feature, can you put this thing in ur pocket and go? what about the awesomely convenient sleep mode when closing?
  • larkan - August 28, 2013 8:36 p.m.

Horrible design, great idea though. They should've released this in a clamshell without 3D period and saved everyone money and time.
  • larkan - August 28, 2013 8:42 p.m.

On an additional side note, they released this next to a WiiU price drop, which they said wasn't happening anytime soon. It looks like Nintendo is learning from one mistake, and making another huge one at the same time. We all know Nintendo isn't going bankrupt anytime soon, but seeing things like this just make me wonder what they're smoking, and where I can get some.
  • C.King - August 28, 2013 9:03 p.m.

they might've made it flat so they could stuff the tech in it for simpler cheaper assembly also i think since it a flat slab i guess that how they came up with 2ds, i got no problem with the name makes sense to me. but seems much less convenient as a portable console unless u lug a purse around but wait... u can't close it so no sleep mode? so battery would die uber quick and no sleep mode? it's like those things u don't see a problem until u seriously start thinking about it.... at 1st thinking meh not for me but now the best parts gone?
  • talleyXIV - August 28, 2013 7:41 p.m.

Am I crazy for thinking it isn't that bad? I mean it's bad but it isn't like blown mind bad.
  • wadesmit - August 28, 2013 10:48 p.m.

I don't know, I really like silly things so this is pretty awesome to me.
  • JAZ9030 - August 28, 2013 7:11 p.m.

This new design is great for kids. Once they drop it a couple of times it becomes the most expensive door wedge money can buy, or a paper weight but no one really uses one. Maybe we just have to give design a chance?