We Recommend

• Redeater - May 17, 2012 8:54 p.m.

"Bulletstorm might just be the best game for bros ever made." No, it isn't. The problem with Bulletstorm was it was too smart for its own good. I'm guessing the people who loved the "bro" aspect of Bulletstorm were the same people who love Tarentino movies not because of the snappy dialog and clever parody but because they are super violent.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2012 9:42 p.m.

I agree to an extent... Though I hope the "smart for it's own good" comment was referred at the gameplay rather than the story >>; I loved that game, though I do think the story, while not bad per se, was taking itself way too seriously and was pretty at odds with the jokes and the action.
  • doominatorx6 - May 17, 2012 9:59 p.m.

Taking itself seriously? This is a game thats "dialogue" rivaled Kane and Lynch. The only difference being that they replaced the word "fuck" with "dick." And that's just flat-out immature, not smart. The gameplay was good though. The dialogue, as I mentioned, was biblically bad. Sushi dick.
  • BladedFalcon - May 18, 2012 5:18 a.m.

Um... What did you think I meant with the story being at odds and clashing with the jokes? Yes, the dialogue was immature, and in the context of the story, pretty bad. But that's because the story itself was trying to present itself as serious. The tone of the gameplay and jokes was akin to saints row the third, but the story was trying to be more like GTA IV. That's what I was trying to say. That was my biggest complaint with the game though. The gameplay itself was fun and refreshing that the dissonant story didn't really matter.
  • Fox_Mulder - May 20, 2012 1:22 p.m.

I loved Bulletstorm because of it's somewhat innovative gameplay. That and the incredibly twisted ways of killin' fools.
  • Redeater - May 18, 2012 12:42 a.m.

Well at least someone other than myself and the GR editor who awarded it a 10 liked this game. I'm way too tired to try to explain but I will say that Bulletstorm was pretty much the antithesis of Gears of War. -Gorgeous colourful beach locations -Brand new gameplay mechanics -A story that....well the story didn't matter and that is what made it great.(Plus no locust queen)
  • BladedFalcon - May 18, 2012 5:21 a.m.

Yeah, I agree completely. I mean, in term of shooting mechanics alone, bulletstorm is easily my favorite FPS of this entire generation. I think the main reason why a lot of people didn't give it a chance, was because they judged it prematurely. That, and i am convinced that the tone of the story didn't help. Had they presented the game in the trailer like Saints Row the Third did, I am sure the game would have been far more successful and popular.
  • Channel4 - May 18, 2012 5:32 a.m.

Bulletstorm is not the 'antithesis' to Gears Of War and certainly wasn't an intelligent game. Ask almost anyone why they play Gears Of War and the answer will be that it has a chainsaw bayonet that lets you violently divide enemies into chunks of meat and the satisfying pop sound when you get a sniper headshot (being the best looking games on consoles until Uncharted 2 came out clearly helped as well). Bulletstorm took the ultraviolent and creative deaths and made an ultraviolent and creative FPS out of it. Bulletstorm is Gears Of War SP without the boring bits. Thats not to say Bulletstorm is bad, it's very good imo as is Gears Of War. But I can't seriously call either of them 'smart' with a straight face, can you?
  • Redeater - May 18, 2012 7:26 a.m.

Ok read over the entire paragraph you just posted a couple times. By your own admission you say that it took the best parts of GOW and improved on them without the "boring bits". I don't think you understood what I meant by calling it smart or the antithesis of GOW. You know what? Fuck this. I'm not going to explain this to someone who probably won't even read this. If you can't clearly see the difference between GOW and Bulletstorm I certainly am not going to be able to convince you. Bulletstorm was a fun game that was very aware of exactly what it was. I hope at some point they make a sequel. Done.
  • Channel4 - May 18, 2012 7:45 a.m.

No you're right, I don't understand what you mean because you haven't explained anything. In what way is it 'smart' where Gears Of War is not? I didn't say it is the same as Gears Of War or that it took the best parts of GOW. I said it took the reason that most people play GOW and made a (very good) game purely about that i.e creative and satisfying ultraviolence. And I agree, Bulletstorm is a fun game that is very aware of what it is, even the game knows it is not smart, it is content with just being fun, a bit like Timesplitters if you will. Which is the whole point of the game, I know GRs review said it was an 'important and smart' game but imo that review missed the point of the game and tried to make it something that it is not.
  • BladedFalcon - May 18, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Except that Bulletstorm DOES have smart gameplay, and here is why: -In a Gears of War game, the gameplay consists in killing people... that's it. However you do it makes no real difference, all if have to do is clear the section of all the enemies around. And really, whether you kill all the enemies using cover based shooting with a machine gun, head-shooting them, or chainsawing them, there is no real difference, or extra reward for killing someone gruesomely apart from the graphical animation (and perhaps some arbitrary trophy). Any drone that can aim and shoot can do that. -In bullet-storm, by contrast. Yes, your core objective is to kill everyone in a section, and yes, you could simply try to kill everyone by using normal shooting, but doing so is not only missing the point of the game-play, but the game also punishes you, or rewards you less for taking this approach. The reason why Bulletstorm's game-play is smart, or at least smarter than GoW'S gameplay, or most FPS for that matter. It's because it challenges you to not just kill everyone in the room, but to do so creatively, and making the best of the environment around you and the weapons you are carrying. Unlike other shooters, the game actually REWARDS you by killing in more outlandish, potentially more difficult ways. Both by giving you more currency necessary to get the best weapons and skills in the game, and by making you feel that you are not only killing everyone in the room: You are owning them completely by destroying them more and beyond the simple bullet using. So, in case it's not clear, the reason why Bulletstorm's game-play is smart, it because mindlessly shooting everything in sight is not nearly good enough. The game encourages you to devise a strategy in order to create maximum carnage. You have to think which enemies are easier to kill with environmental kills, which you can lure into a group so you can get a combo kill, and which enemies are worth using your special ammo and attacks on to in order to create more points. Again, like I said before, i am not saying the entire game is flawless, or that the story is smart or anything. But the gameplay itself? it IS pretty fucking brilliant and smart, because it did try something different and succeeded, and it was something that encouraged you to use your brain to do more than just walking in a corridor and popping shots out of cover.
  • Redeater - May 19, 2012 12:04 p.m.

Alright I will say it since he clearly won't reply (I don't believe for a second he didn't see this great summary). Well done. I couldn't have come this close to explaining the reasons if I tried. I believe he just rage quit!
  • BladedFalcon - May 20, 2012 6:09 p.m.

I appreciate it, thanks ^^ I mean, this hasn't been the first time I've had to defend Bulletstorm. Because, well, frankly, it IS a game easy to hate on at first glance. It looks crude, immature, and from the trailers, you've never think it had deep, fun and DIFFERENT gameplay. But it does, and clearly so which is why I have no real problems defending it. And well, I do like saying it's smart gameplay, not only because it is, but because I'd wish more shooters took this approach, instead of the tired GoW or CoD formula. That, or get back to old school shooters that demanded actual resource management and exploration.
  • RedHarlow - May 17, 2012 8:53 p.m.

Chaining together a bunch of neck-breaks with HUNK in RE4 Mercenaries mode was always badass. Especially when the chainsaw lady was running at you, at you shot her once in the head and then broke her neck.
  • archnite - May 17, 2012 8:43 p.m.

I instantly thought of the Deus Ex: Human Revolution glitch in which you run up and immediately punch Amir foregoing the entire boss fight in favor of cyborg-broness.
  • forestfire55 - May 17, 2012 8:38 p.m.

In fallout, shooting someone in the head in VATS and watching there whole body explode... epic
  • TerminX - May 17, 2012 7:22 p.m.

What, no E3 2011 "Fistbuuuuump!" ? For shame.
  • pinoklin - May 17, 2012 6:24 p.m.

well once i was playing halo 3 against a friend and i was holding a plasma sword and he had a rocket launcher, i ran straight up to him and as he fired a rocket at me i jumped that bastard and landed with a slice to da face!!!
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2012 6:17 p.m.

Is that.... Is that Spiderman fist-bumping Obama? o.O That really happened in a comic?? XD And pretty awesome list. Good to see you guys included Vaquish's explosive punch, definitely fist-pump worthy. Though really, most of that game is fist pump worthy.
  • archnite - May 17, 2012 8:45 p.m.

Yes Obama fisted Spiderman
  • Redeater - May 17, 2012 9:02 p.m.

LOL!!! You know someone is going to start up a band with that name.
  • patbateman17 - May 18, 2012 6:34 a.m.

Pretty sure that's in the new movie :) which also doubles as Obama's re-election campaign spot. Spidey is losing to Lizard when Brobama steps in and Hulks out, saving the day. I'm pretty sure Spidey is a Democrat. Either that, or it was far less realistic to shoehorn the Mittster in there. On that note, what ever happened to black Spidey? Didn't they pass the mantle earlier this year?