• FinderKeeper - January 27, 2012 2:03 p.m.

Nescafé. Oops, copyright infringement... ;-) How about the Nintendo Universe? It can still be abbreviated, but at least the "U" can stand for something. "Ultra" and "Ultimate" are OK, but Universe describes their goal of being a console for both the old school core platform gamers and the family-oriented casual gamers.
  • D0CCON - January 27, 2012 2:01 p.m.

So it is possible that we could have a future system that is called nothing more than "Nintendo."
  • Dadyo238 - January 27, 2012 1:31 p.m.

Since the Revolution(great name in my opinion) became the ridiculous Wii, you can only expect the Wii U to turn into something even crazier. I've got it! The WiiNr. Captcha: some latesoc Sometimes it feels like Captcha can tell the future. I've got the message; the WiiNr will have some delays.
  • GameManiac - January 27, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Its only a name. If they retain "Wii U", I could care less. What matters is that I know its a new system, and I'll likely buy it on day 1, just like my 3DS.
  • andy-spivey - January 27, 2012 2:52 p.m.

For me, I need at least 2 games worth playing, for example pikmin 3 and a Mario title, to assure a purchase. But, I think Nintendo has some stellar 3rd party titles in the lineup, so they won't rely solely on 1st party (not that they had to before, but less so than their competitors)
  • EnigmaSpirit - January 27, 2012 1:15 p.m.

I remember reading the article speculating that it would just be called "The Nintendo," then having my head explode as they said it would be called WiiU.
  • wingsdjy - January 27, 2012 1:06 p.m.

nPad
  • ZhugeLiang - January 27, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Now presenting, the Nintendo Super Gamecube 64 Wii Entertainment System
  • Rowdie - January 27, 2012 11:47 a.m.

Super Wii.
  • bboyd - January 27, 2012 11:35 a.m.

How about, I don't know, Wii 2? Because no! That's exactly what people look for when searching for successors. *rolls eyes*
  • badgraphix1 - January 27, 2012 12:18 p.m.

This presents almost all the problems that the Wii U name does.
  • bboyd - January 27, 2012 12:24 p.m.

Hardly. A "2" says: this is a successor. It has more power, new games, and is for all intents and purposes, the seuqel. Wii U just says to the uninformed buyer: Hey, this is a really expensive add on. Just a tablet thingy, what is this again?
  • gopikmin - January 28, 2012 5:47 a.m.

how is that any different from the 3ds. 3 also implies successor as well as 3d. Sucessor isn't enough, reinvention is. To achieve full reinvention, they would need to drop the wii from the name.
  • InFeRnOg - January 27, 2012 11:34 a.m.

Nintendo still has core gamers that care about it?
  • paul212 - January 27, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Super duper high definition nintendo entertainment system. SDHDNES!
  • revrock - January 27, 2012 10:58 a.m.

"Nintendo Future"
  • lordgodalming - January 27, 2012 10:43 a.m.

New Japanese Name: Nintendo Fami-Swan Super-Mega-Color HD Home Wiiblet System New American Name: Nintendo 3 Wii S. *dusts off hands* Now no one will be confused. Problem solved.
  • comaqi - January 27, 2012 10:16 a.m.

What about Dolphin. Not just the name but the whole theme. It'll even be shaped like a dolphin.
  • gopikmin - January 27, 2012 10:15 a.m.

i think they should change the color of the console. That would really help in differentiating between them. I can see someone accidentally turning on the wii when they wanted the wii u with the current colors
  • Squander - January 27, 2012 10:11 a.m.

no, srsly I think "Nintendo HD" might fit for several reasons: -) the name combines old and new -) it is easy for Nintendo to brand their games: Super Mario HD, Mario Kart HD, Zelda HD, Kirby HD....etc -) as for us Europeans, the whole "high-definition" story has ultimately reached and accepted by every consumer. 2011 was a crucial year in which nearly all TV stations switched towards an HD broadcast. -) It took several years, now everone can afford a slick HD-TV some things that speak against are: -) "HD" is anything but new, sounds kinda dusty and over-used -) Nintendo HD doesnt promote the unique controller which is definitely the USP of that console