Google+

85 comments

  • NotSteve - July 27, 2011 1:57 a.m.

    Yes, Jim, I agree I was part of the problem, and I'm okay with that. However, isn't the Battle Network series proof that Capcom tried to whore out Mega Man already? I feel like we're all missing that. And to be fair, as a Mega Man fan from back in the day, I think I'm good. With all the other stuff that exists, new and old, I don't really need another MM game to be happy. See you in Valhalla, Blue Bomber... I'll buy you a pint.
  • ensabahnur - July 27, 2011 1:52 a.m.

    All i want is a proper new megaman x - 2d side scroller with all the powerups reminiscent of megaman x, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6 (never played x7 and x8) been hoping they release on xbla or psn
  • BurntToShreds - July 27, 2011 1:49 a.m.

    I've said this several times before: Mega Man Legends was a niche series, with a niche audience, and it was going to be released onto the 3DS, which is not doing very good. They weighed these variables, and decided that they wouldn't get a return on their investment. This is important; you can't just throw money into a game these days, because that could lead to financial ruin.
  • Teh_Ty - July 27, 2011 1:21 a.m.

    Well, if you think about it, Mega Man legends 3 started off because of fan support, kept going because of fan support, and died because of fan support. Capcom has been living off of fan support, seeing how it was the reason that MvC3, SFIV, SSFIV, the consolization of AE, and now, Street Fighter cross Tekken, UMvC3 (though, this is more of a cashgrab), and the comeback of Darkstalkers, after the slide at comicon that just flat out said "DARKSTALKERS ARE NOT DEAD". MML3 started off of fan support, and they were happy, but capcom had to keep it alive off that same fan-support so they started the dev blogs and progress report and everything, which was just low in general. Besides that, megaman sales have been down, and this most likely wouldn't be a smart or safe investment. The only reason people are obsessing about it is because it's gone.
  • BrunDeign - July 27, 2011 1:01 a.m.

    I have to agree with Mr. Sterling on this. I've been saying it since I heard Legends 3 was cancelled - Megaman stands very little chance of coming back in any meaningful way. Sure a cameo here, a role on a fighting game roster (maybe the next Smash Bros.) there, but in reality I don't see them making an actual Megaman game anymore. It sucks because I REALLY wanted to play Legends 3 too. And no Mr. Sterling not just because it got the axe.
  • WonsAuto - July 27, 2011 12:39 a.m.

    @EnragedTortoise1 -- There have been at least twice as many Mega Man games than Sonic games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man
  • ClusterShart - July 27, 2011 12:37 a.m.

    So long as we get more from The Protomen, Mega Man won't be forgotten anytime soon.
  • Usgo - July 27, 2011 12:31 a.m.

    Im sorry is megaman 2 still around. How about everyone just play that.
  • FOZ - July 27, 2011 12:21 a.m.

    Megaman ISN'T dying with dignity now. He hasn't even been given a chance. How is it that the same company that made Onimusha 3, Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil 4 couldn't make even one good 3d Megaman last gen? Because they don't care. The only people keeping Megaman alive had been Inti Creates, who made the Megaman Zero games as well as Megaman 9 and 10. The Battle Network games weren't bad, but it was too obvious they were just a cash cow drawing on the Megaman name. Now that Capcom was finally giving Megaman a chance with actually new games, rather than the same thing, what do they do? Cancel them. He's not "dying with dignity," Megaman is just being plain cut-off entirely. Nor was there any hint that MML3 would be a "bad game" as you so fear. Seriously, there were all of TWO Megaman games coming out this year, both of them new concepts. It is CAPCOM'S job to make games, not the fans. The fans can try to contribute, but when Capcom refused to release even the prototype, fans really had nothing to go on. I don't see how they can contribute from there, and Capcom is making it sound like the project was entirely on them, the people with no access to any actual assets. Why should anyone trust what Capcom says? These (and Inafune, but he's not there now) are the people who dissolved one of the best, most consistent development teams (Clover), driving out two of their best directors (Mikami and Kamiya), and aside from fighting games, has done practically NOTHING right this generation. Even that is slipping, announcing a new version of MvC3 FIVE MONTHS after the original came out. If they make up some flimsy excuse about how "not enough people were interested," I don't see any compelling reason I should believe any of it.
  • kingsmikefan - July 27, 2011 12:20 a.m.

    Even when confronted with a logical, intelligent editorial, gamers still bitch and say stupid shit. Let go of your fucking nostalgia.
  • shawksta - July 27, 2011 12:16 a.m.

    I agree,i got over megaman not being in UMVC3,Zero and Tron need the spotlight, except the last part. Megaman Legends 3 should end the cliffhanger in legends 2 THEN megaman can rest in peace but it would be great for a bit of nostalgia but in the right Timing so its not a "cash grab" you said.
  • Nodoudt - July 27, 2011 12:15 a.m.

    While one can begrudgingly admit that Mister Sterling has a valid point, I still think that releasing Legends 3 would have been enough to satisfy my ten-year hunger for it. Then I would happily let the series run it's course, but I suppose we can't all have our way.
  • meh - July 27, 2011 12:14 a.m.

    Okay, so if my knowledge of this is correct, megaman was killed by capcom, and put on the cross by servebots. Then he was taken away by nostalgic man-children and put in a gaming vault, and on third day after he died he will rise again, and then... Apocalypse.
  • garnsr - July 27, 2011 12:09 a.m.

    I have no problem with being given the chance to play the old games on new systems, a la the Mega Man collections. But they don't really seem to have anywhere to go that's really new for Mega Man, so as long as we can still play the ones we loved we should be happy.
  • newwavebossanova - July 26, 2011 11:59 p.m.

    The only differences with Legends is that 1) it hasn't been whored out like the rest of the franchise and 2) it's the only one with a story worth a damn and that story ended on a cliffhanger. I think Legends (along with Shenmue) should come back for just one final game to end that cliffhanger and let the series be done.
  • Zeos - July 26, 2011 11:55 p.m.

    Megaman Legends 3 was cancelled!? This is news to me. :(
  • Spacegrass - July 26, 2011 11:54 p.m.

    This article makes a very good point. I was really into Mega Man games when I was young, but I haven't played one since X3 and wasn't aware they were still making them; if Capcom had put some effort into marketing the series, it might not have ended like this. Still, it's better to die with dignity than to become a joke.
  • Pepsuber88 - July 26, 2011 11:50 p.m.

    While I agree that Megaman games are no longer that mainstream, and that the profit Capcom makes out of them is not what it used to be, they should've at least added him in ultimate marvel vs capcom, as a farewell. long live megaman!
  • nemesisuprising - July 26, 2011 11:44 p.m.

    jim sterling is my hero, he was one of the first and best supporters of deadly premonition, and I bought it because of his article on it, oh and its a shame that it got the axe, but yeah, it was a necessary evil, RIP mega man
  • FunkyPickle - July 26, 2011 11:43 p.m.

    The last few Sonic games have actually been pretty great, to be honest. Still won't make up for that certain 2006 Sonic game, though.

Showing 61-80 of 85 comments

Join the Discussion
Add a comment (HTML tags are not allowed.)
Characters remaining: 5000

OR…

Connect with Facebook

Log in using Facebook to share comments, games, status update and other activity easily with your Facebook feed.