• Linktoreality - July 27, 2011 7:09 a.m.

Trouble is, I was planning to buy this game once it came out- the fact that I didn't have time to play along with their little build up game was no proof otherwise. Then again, they're probably right- they might not have gotten enough sales to justify the game. Ah, well...
  • taterboob - July 27, 2011 6:51 a.m.

Sterling, you are kind of a hypocrite. I just sat through the episode of Jimquisition where you bitch about Ninendo of America not releasing Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower in North America. So, by your logic, the anger people have over not getting those is perfectly valid, but when fans are upset over this, they're "acting like children who don’t play with a toy but start crying as soon as it’s confiscated"? Sure, it's a little different because those three games are completed, and MML3 hadn't even finished production, but it still costs money to localize a game. This is just a thought, but I think Nintendo is not bringing those games here for the exact same reason that Capcom axed MML3. They didn't think that it was financially viable to take the risk. If they thought that bringing those games over would make them any money, they would do it in a heartbeat (they are a business, after all). I really don't think they're doing it just to be mean. Yet, there you are, calling them a "bunch of usless fucking cunts". Basically, Nintendo not wanting to lose money="boo, Nintendo", Capcom not wanting to lose money="stop being a bunch of babies, gamers". I'm not mad at Capcom because I want to be part of some "let's find an excuse to hate Capcom" group. I'm mad because I feel like I was suckered into wasting a bunch of money by them. MML3 was THE reason I bought a 3DS. Now that it's no more, there's almost nothing else even vaguely interesting in the forseeable future for it. Oh well, that's 250 bucks in Nintendo's pocket. Maybe that's money they can put toward localizing XB, LS and PT.
  • FauxFurry - July 27, 2011 6:15 a.m.

I kind of liked the idea of Mega Man Volnutt/Trigger being trapped up on Elysium (perhaps for the rest of Roll and Tron's lifespans)besides the fact that I am no fan of unlimited series or Capcom releasing more than one retro release in a single console generation as a throwback to a single generation(there is always the Mega Man Collection for anyone who wants to satisfy any 8-bit nostalgic longings) so this cancellation of both the Mega Man Legends 3 project and the entire series doesn't displease me any nor has it tarnished my image of Capcom. Their lack of anything in the way of compelling new IPs to off-set the deleterious effect of much of their talent jumping ship is far more concerning to me.
  • Crimmy - July 27, 2011 5:48 a.m.

At least finish ONE of the games. Please?
  • ObliqueZombie - July 27, 2011 5:45 a.m.

Good article, Jim! I agree with most everything. If it turned into a Sonic, I don't think I could ever support Capcom again. Mega Man is one of my favorite heroes of ALL TIME, and he's what I grew up with, so if they fucked him up, I'd write many, many angry letters. But, you can't exactly blame the fans for not supporting Mega Man Legends 3 the way the developers wanted. For one, it was gonna be a 3DS game, and I, personally, don't own one and probably won't for a long time. And two, they put way too much trust into people who have jobs, girlfriends, boyfriends, and other games to play. So really, not a whole of support could've been given. I would have LOVED to contribute when I heard about it so long ago, but I had school to get through and college to prepare for. On top of being with my wonderful girlfriend and playing the mountains of games on my plate, I didn't have time to contribute and think deeply about what I'd like to put in. And though I'm not currently playing any Mega Man games, it doesn't mean I wouldn't LOVE to. I have no means to play any, because they're all on the GBA, the DS, the Game Cube, the PS2, etc, and all I own is a PC and 360 (and PS3 and Wii, if you count my family). So to wrap it up, great article! Though are HD remakes and XBLA releases out of the question? I'd love to play me some Legends, Battle Network, and X.
  • DevonOO7 - July 27, 2011 5:43 a.m.

Next up: Sonic
  • NanoElite666 - July 27, 2011 5:10 a.m.

It has occurred to me that Mega Man is effectively dead to me. The only two series that I was ever interested in of his were the Zero series (which has since run its course and is done), and the Legends series (which has just been killed). I'll get over it at some point, it's just disappointing to see it go, since I loved the setting and characters it brought.
  • Yeager1122 - July 27, 2011 4:24 a.m.

Yeah ill just play the old games.
  • Robusken - July 27, 2011 4:13 a.m.

For good or for bad , his death is still something to be sad about. In a way yea I guess its a good thing that he didn't get whored out like sonic. Starforce isn't bad though, forget its even a megaman game and it's still pretty decent. Should not have had as much sequels though. It is pretty obviouse that Capcoms attention to the little blue guy has been decreased like crazy, can't blame them considering what has happened so far. What makes me sad is the potential Megaman could have had in new games, with the right direction I think a Megaman game could bring something new to the table.
  • Yaro - July 27, 2011 3:51 a.m.

I agree with Jim Sterling. I also like the way the article is written. His articles are always a breath a of shit storm air.=)
  • PimplesInYourAsstista - July 27, 2011 3:48 a.m.

@Patius Was he ever not? You're better then letting this flailing troll on your site, Gamesradar.
  • infestedandy - July 27, 2011 3:46 a.m.

A lot of people consider Mega Man 2 the best game in the entire series, but like Mr. Sterling says in the article, these are the people that really haven't played the rest of the games; they're going by whatever everyone else says. Getting mad that someone canceled a game when you weren't even going to buy it helps no one. I really wish we'd get more 2d sidescrollers akin to the Castlevania games, Shadow Complex, and even Mega Man. MM9 and 10 were great games and the music was even better - I just don't want to see this style of gaming vanish for eternity.
  • Patius - July 27, 2011 3:22 a.m.

Sterling has degraded in quality. He's now just a hateful, spiteful guy who tries to start stuff. This kind of crap is exactly why I stopped reading the crap he writes. He's a professional troll, and GR would be good to sever ties with him.
  • elpurplemonkey - July 27, 2011 3:20 a.m.

Mega Man died and I didn't even notice until this article. It's true though.
  • Treleus - July 27, 2011 3:19 a.m.

I'm honestly disappointed that MML3 got shitcanned because of how promising it looked. To expect the fans to build the game and then can it because it was "just 10,000" seems like a kick to the nuts. It isn't fair, but I suppose can't begrudge Capcom hedging their bets. I also can't begrudge the fans for being angry at Capcom, and not just for MML3, so I say it was more of what Capcom put into it and how that inevitably determined MML3's fate. As for the toy analogy, MML3 seemed more like a massive LEGO construction that was canceled because it didn't look complete enough by a certain date, and so all the effort and assets that went into it should be scrapped and buried. That's a shitty situation for anyone involved. I wouldn't say Mega Man's "never" been popular. 6 NES titles, 4 SNES titles, 5 Game Boy titles, several GBA titles, 3 PSX titles, 2 PS2 titles, and 1 GC title (among others I've failed to mention) in is pretty fucking popular in my book. I would say he's been MORE popular, though, back in the days when people read Nintendo Power, so you got me there. I guess you can say Mega Man never reached the popularity of a Mario or a Sonic, but he was easily a superstar in his heyday along with them. Not *as* popular, but he was pretty much an popular icon during the days of the NES and SNES. It's a real shame Capcom wasn't more adventurous and ambitious with the brand in the past. I would've loved to see a full-fledged anime or well-animated cartoon based off of the X series or the Classic series not done by Ruby-Spears, and I would especially love to see a 3D X game that wasn't garbage. The one thing I can attest to from this article is that sadly the Blue Bomber's popularity sharply started to wane after the SNES. That there was only like one commercial for Mega Man ever aired in the US should be a pretty good indication of that.
  • TheTrooper424 - July 27, 2011 3:06 a.m.

You disappoint me Jim.
  • Joshnix - July 27, 2011 2:58 a.m.

ugh. Jesus Christ, why does Jim Sterling always infect video game news websites I like
  • Thequestion 121 - July 27, 2011 2:54 a.m.

Wow, this really put the whole controversy into perspective...
  • Lurkero - July 27, 2011 2:39 a.m.

I agree with this article 100%. Megaman Legends is one of my top games and I replay it often. I had no excitement for Megaman Legends 3 because they chose the wrong system to release it on. I would have played a XBL, PSN, X360, or PS3 Megaman Legends remake, but I am not buying a $250 3DS for it. And to those who keep saying Megaman wasn't milked they need to take another look at the release list for Megaman games. While I did love the Megaman Zero and Megaman Battle Network series, I did not need a new game every year. I did not want Megaman Universe or Legends 3. It was obvious that Capcom had no idea what to do with Megaman this generation. Their ideas amounted to a nostalgia filled MM9 and MM10, and two games that would basically be made by the fans.
  • 510BrotherPanda - July 27, 2011 1:59 a.m.

Personally, I thought the first 1 or 2 Mega Man Battle Network games on the GBA were decent fun; I drew the line when they started wheeling out that B.S. they call StarForce. That s*** is like the Shadow the Hedgehog of the Mega Man series... Maybe it would have been better if Inafune took Mega with him when he left, and used him in his own projects? I'm not sure the current Capcom knows what to do with him... (I kinda wish Yuji Naka did the same to Sonic, even though I'm not a fan of the series.)