Topics

Best of GR

• JarkayColt - October 1, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Hmm, some interesting information! But there is a subcategory of mechanics on this list that falls under "exploits". I wouldn't count "exploits" as playing the game "right". For example, a person who does not Wavedash is not playing Melee wrong as it's essentially a glitch (there's a reason why you can't do it in Brawl). Same with the Superslide in OoT and the Yellow Devil trick. However, making use of the T-Block, defeating Phanto, EV training or learning the Pac Man ghost's patrolling quirks seem like a normal part of the game. You know what I mean?
  • C.King - October 1, 2013 6:16 p.m.

with you on wave dashing. but i not sure about ev training being intended with how little the actual games actually talk about it, but it's absolutely necessary competitively. a story mode run team has absolutely no chance against a "properly trained" team. but "train" ... idk you're a trainer but i got no clue what was intended by the great creator! what were arceus's intentions?!
  • JarkayColt - October 2, 2013 3:41 a.m.

Of course EV training is intended; it's a mechanic that's programmed purposefully by the developers, unlike the examples I gave above that are more like glitches. Even though you usually need to keep notes outside the game to fully maximise your EVs, every generation they keep adding more ways to make it easier for people, as if they WANT you to know about it. There are certain methods that the game explicitly states will increase or decrease Base Stats, for example: vitamins like Protein, the training facilities on Join Avenue, the Power Items/Macho Brace, Pokérus, the EV-reducing Berries/haircuts etc. NPCs will also state that Trained Pokémon are stronger than Wild Pokémon of an identical species and level, which should be a decent hint. Even somebody who doesn't fully understand EVs could get an edge over untrained Pokémon just by making use of those things. It's obvious that Game Freak keep trying to make training as a whole easier and more transparent. For example, as of HG/SS, the Pokémon Status screen shows you which two stats your Nature increases and decreases. The Stats Judge will now let you know if you have multiple stats with a perfect IV. Basically, all the tools are in the game to get the most out of Pokémon Training already. Also, X&Y will graphically represent EVs earned on a graph, which basically is the silver platter. IMO, the UNintentional "exploit" related to Pokémon Training is people who abuse the sRNG to get Pokémon with perfect stats or that are Shiny, or both, because that definitely requires playing the game in a way that wasn't intended and uses calculations generated by an external program. The legitimate method to achieve the same result is to breed Pokémon with the IVs you want that also trigger the Masuda Method. If you do it right, once you generate a Shiny (which should take around 1000 Eggs, although recently I've been trying myself and have gotten through well over 1-or-2000 with no luck yet, although I have gotten one after just 40 once) there's a good chance it will have at least two 31s. Alternatively, chain Pokémon with the PokéRadar in DPPt with a Pokémon with Synchronise that has the Nature you want, catch a truckload of them once you reach a chain of 40 and cross your fingers. However, I've battled many people on Random Matchup with whole teams of Shinies that almost certainly have perfects or near-perfects across the board, so they're either hacked or sRNG-abused. Getting one decent Shiny is hard enough, but SIX?
  • C.King - October 2, 2013 7:50 a.m.

i know what you mean but those methods don't isolate the stat u wanna boost is what i mean, ur gonna have to look up areas with a number of pokemon with a ev yield of just one stat if you want to maximize a certain 2 different stats dude i gotta laugh at this now because i was confused as heck where all these shinies from, they really taking the worth out of being shiny. hopefully they'll fix it up next gen but they'd probably just breed the hacked pokemon and get atleast 3 perfect ivs. so... they could only lessen their bs if anything. thx for the tip about synchronise, i've been just hatching loads of eggs for those or using ever stone
  • JarkayColt - October 2, 2013 10:16 a.m.

Well, sure, it's hard to maximise a certain stat error-free without planning ahead what exactly you're going to battle. But you don't NEED to maximise the stat; if you aren't a competitive battler, you can still "casually" earn EVs by using Vitamins or by KOing a bunch of Starly to up your Speed; people will understand that it's having an effect, just not to what extent. But yeah, playing B2W2 online recently I have noticed an AWFUL lot of people using Shinies, and I'm pretty sure most of them have been sRNG abused. The problem is that these Pokémon are still generated within the game (just with some very deft manipulation) and are therefore not flagged as being a hacked Pokémon. It'll be very hard to route the exploits out. It does seriously undermine the time and effort people might put in to receive a "legit" Shiny using, say, the Masuda Method. I'm currently breeding an English and Japanese Pokémon with a 31 Attack and 31 Speed IV, and I have the Shiny Charm, but still nothing yet! Using Synchronise with the PokéRadar in DPPt makes it a lot easier to find a Shiny (about 1/200 max chance per Radar-reset as opposed to Masuda's 1/1000-ish) but you can't control its stats so well. Considering Synchronise's success rate, getting a 'usable' Shiny Pokémon with ONE IV at 31 using this method has a chance of about 1/64, ignoring the 1/200 chance of finding it in the first place. I caught 10 Shiny Ponyta the other day and they all sucked. Considering the abysmal chances, how on earth can people have a full team of usable Shinies? >_>
  • C.King - October 2, 2013 11:52 a.m.

i'm sorry but 10 shiny ponyta?! you must be hardcore or rapidash must be your favorite or is it horse pokemon in general? i wouldn't mind hunting for a shiny shinx though but i can't use the radar for that can i? but i'd need to breed too or else i can't run ice fang. meh it so complicated i think i'll settle for my current one. shinies... so much (that could go) wrong with em eh? good luck man! you deserve that pokemon! hey wanna battle after we settle in with X&Y?
  • JarkayColt - October 2, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Yup, 10. My biggest haul in one sitting, lawls (well, I left it in sleep mode and kept coming back to it, but y'know what I mean). And yes, you guessed right, the Rapidash and Zebstrika lines are my favourites. In any case, any Pokémon in the tall grass in DPPt is fair game for the Poké Radar (not to brag but thanks to the Radar I've got flipping tonnes of Shinies, lawls, my highest chain is like over 100 as well.) I have a Shiny Shinx myself (very easy to do on Route 202, if your lead Pokémon has Static, so long as Zigzagoon isn't Swarming.) Ice Fang is pretty valuable though, so if you want it, you'd have to try the Masuda Method. And yeah, I'll battle with you when X & Y release! I didn't really make any proper teams in 5th Gen but I'm thinking of getting back into it (metagame got too shook up for me lol).
  • C.King - October 2, 2013 5:38 p.m.

oh icic looks like ice fang only thing in my way of that but i'll have to do some reading. i really love using ice fang with so many pseudo legends and landorus i got a pretty good team assembled (especially for triple/ rotation) but i think it'd be fun to update them first with the new moves and abilities coming, mega evolutions for your favorites sure is exciting. though it seems hard to imagine how a standard pokemon would fair against a mega( it sorta gonna be like the queen in chess) is some cases so i bet priority moves are gonna be essential
  • JarkayColt - October 3, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too, although I'm actually slightly worried about Mega Evolutions now. I was convinced "all" Pokémon would get them, but Masuda seemed to imply otherwise, saying that's its mostly based on popularity or something. So I dunno if any of my favourite Pokémon will get one. Or the ones that I use often (I really want to see a Mega Flygon or Mega Gallade.) I mean, if most of the Pokémon that get them are already OP like Garchomp and Blaziken, it just seems like a stupidly broken idea, and also limits the variety of Megas used on teams (you just KNOW everyone will be "forced" to use one to keep even footing.) ...Actually, taking your Queen analogy, what if it's more like the King, if they actually enforce a battle rule that states the criteria for a win is either routing the enemy team OR defeating their Mega Pokémon if they have one? Could be interesting.
  • C.King - October 3, 2013 7:40 p.m.

with 2 forms of charizard i still convinced all older pokemon would get one, it not even a full evolution but a slight re-imagining(look at average fan art and the off parts could make for the appearance) of each one to make everyone feel special, i can't imagining them favoring these already strong pokemon and let others dry out. i think mawhile makes a decent case that alot of megas coming. yep been thinking i'd have to keep a mega packing to fend off the others wouldn't it be nutty if megas were actually beta art rather than new designs? the king thing sorta makes sense... sounds like a handicap for the less tactical. actually let me rephrase, it is merciful in a way. when the mega is dead u can assume you'd be swept afterward and if u use ur mega last it a nice last resort to help push back when taken that far
  • codystovall - October 1, 2013 2:43 p.m.

CITIZEN SNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPSsssss!!!!
  • slimjim441 - October 1, 2013 12:52 p.m.

HA! Yellow Devil's pause glitch is for hosers. Real mean beat him like a man and grow beards afterwards.
  • Swedish_Chef - October 1, 2013 1:33 p.m.

You probably would grow a beard considering how damn long and repetitive that boss fight is.
  • slimjim441 - October 1, 2013 2:49 p.m.

It's not even two minutes long. And the beard comes from pure force of will.
  • Swedish_Chef - October 1, 2013 5:52 p.m.

I know it's not that long it just feels like it due to repetition and how much damage the devil takes to kill.
  • shawksta - October 1, 2013 12:51 p.m.

This was Great XD
  • Subgenre - October 1, 2013 12:34 p.m.

I'm pretty sure everybody who has ever played WC3 knows that you can build enemy buildings.
  • MolokoVeck - March 11, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Blaster Master for the original NES. Most of the bosses could be defeated by throwing a grenade at them and then pausing the game as soon as the grenade exploded. You would see the boss flashing which indicated that they were being continuously damaged. Unpause the game after a few minutes and the boss is toast. Cheap, but effective.
  • sandplasma - March 9, 2013 3:58 p.m.

She has her cooch oin top of an angel. I, as a Christian am outraged. Not really but someone should be... I think. Outrage I say.
  • n00b - March 9, 2013 2:33 p.m.

There was an achievement for dodge offseting in Bayonetta, they even mention it in a tutorial. Was it really not that clear? its practically required when trying to pure platinum infinite climax difficulty.
  • Brocyclopedia - March 8, 2013 7:26 a.m.

I doubt anyone who played Halo 2 online didn't know about the BXR
  • Darkhawk - March 8, 2013 5:44 a.m.

Everyone knew it by the time the game retire - oh actually it still hasn't yet - but speed-strafing in GoldenEye (N64) makes a world of difference. Instead of holding the analog to move forward, hold the Strafe (C-down) button and the analog in the opposite direction and you'll move a lot faster.
  • cchen04 - March 8, 2013 4:03 a.m.

Covenants, Dark Souls.
  • BladedFalcon - March 8, 2013 5:37 a.m.

They may not be well explained in-game, but they are in no way secret,hidden or unintended. (Most of them, at least)
  • middleclassfury - March 8, 2013 1:39 a.m.

Did you know that in MegaMan, defeating a boss gives you their powers??!! Well, aged 10, my mate and I didn't!! Together we got through to Dr Wily's castle using only the mega-blaster, and were then confused why we couldn't progress to the end-game boss. Let me put that into perspective - we defeated all levels, all 6 bosses, all 6 bosses again in the final level, AND that bloody rock monster WITH A PEA SHOOTER. You needed to hit Elec-man three times just to get rid of one segment of energy bar. We didn't have the instruction manual, and the internet didn't exist back then. @middleclassfury
  • Person5 - March 8, 2013 5 a.m.

Doesn't the game tell you "you got the [blank]!" after beating a boss though?