• august-hahn - March 26, 2012 9:27 p.m.

The math on this is stupid-simple. If you haven't played the game, don't comment about the ending shouldn't change. That's like saying fans shouldn't ask for changes NOT to be made in the Star Wars films without ever seeing one. This article made a lot of salient points but managed to destroy its own premise three sentences in. GamesRadar, you can do better than this.
  • GeekofGames51 - March 26, 2012 8:06 p.m.

I've read a lot of comments on here, some of the good and some of them bad, but I want to avoid the comments and talk about the article itself, specifically what is wrong with it. First of all, David makes it clear that he has no idea what the gamers are raging about and yet believes it all to be petty and childish. I haven't played ANY of the Mass Effect games, yet I know all about the stories of the games, I know extensively what is wrong with the ending, and I understand the betrayal many people feel over it. Over the years, BioWare has earned our trust by creating these stellar games full of immersion and player-driven story, only to throw it out the window with the final ten minutes of what was an overall good game. This is nothing but childish, this is a serious matter for gamers and BioWare alike. Second, David compares this sense of betrayal to that of the Star Wars series, specifically The Phantom Menace, and how fans didn't leave that series in the dust because of it. Let me point out that a lot of fans DID leave that series behind post-Phantom Menace (check the box office numbers), but beyond that, Star Wars and Mass Effect, despite having similar stories in theory, are extremely different in their control by the fans. A lot of Star Wars fans did complain about Jar Jar, forcing George Lucas to dropping his role from a planned main character in the prequel trilogy to almost never appearing at all in the later movies. With Mass Effect, we're given choices like these all the time, which character do we want to be the love interest, which one do we want to see a lot less of, which action is best for the characters to take, et cetera. As said before, Mass Effect is very player-driven in how its story will proceed, unlike Star Wars which is made up by a man with a very creative mind. Third, David points out one key element that would be thrown for a loop if BioWare were to give in to the fans reaction and give them the ending we want, creative integrity. He believes that, if things go the way the "fanboys" want it to go, all hope is lost for any other creative team making something they want to make without the consumers butting in. This, once again, shows the misunderstanding of the author on the issue on hand; we're NOT forcing BioWare to give us any specific ending, the exact opposite actually. BioWare is free to make up any ending they want, most of us expected Shepard to die at the end, for we all knew this was the end of Shepard's story. However, with all of the plot holes, the inability of the player to make their own decision (beyond different color explosions), and the ripped off feeling we get from BioWare for throwing away all of our previous experiences with the series for the end, we can't just forgive and forget. I know someone will probably disagree with what I'm saying, but this is just my opinion on the article. As for my opinion overall, I honestly think BioWare has something planned, something planned from the beginning as the world's largest trolling. Seriously, look at half of their twitter feed from post-release, they sound like they're keeping some heavy secrets. Also, the indoctrination theory (if you haven't heard of it, there is a guy called AngryJoe that can explain it all to you) is a very feasible, and admittedly clever, reason for all the holes in the ending. If BioWare does pull out of this gracefully, not so much giving into the demands but showing how impressive they can recover, then their trust will be earned back in full.
  • Setlok17 - March 27, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Well said good sir lol
  • lilbuddha - March 27, 2012 6:46 p.m.

Great post. I fear that bioware is going to be pissing off consumers even more than the ending did by trying to sell the "real" endings as DLC. And then this thing that I've been clamoring against will finally slide down the slippery slope and I'll just say with a sigh "told ya so". ...That's when I'll devote 1,000 hours to mastering Dwarf Fortress.... ...and after that 1,000 hours i'll probably have a decent grasp on the game and be able to make my first "good" fort....
  • happydude007 - March 26, 2012 8 p.m.

I honestly could not see how they could've made the RPG element more in depth this time. You couldn't really go planet scavenging in ME3 since you more than likely exploited the entire galaxy of resources in ME2. Not to mention you have Reapers on your ass at every turn. The story could only be pushed so far overall. In terms of execution, however, the whole experience felt rushed as it wasn't as elaborate as ME2 (maybe DLC will change it). I was pissed off how they quickly did away with some characters from ME2. ME2 was like the movie the seven samurai. It's characters and their stories is what defined the game. The buildup to the suicide mission and payoff makes ME2 game and ending rewarding and incredible. You want the characters to live and survive. ME3 lacks any of this. I felt Bioware threw away some of the characters from ME2, and rushed to end the stories of others too quickly. On top of that, your selection of characters was severely limited compared to ME2. I didn't care as much about some of the characters in ME3, nor did I feel the urgency of the last act as I feel the final act was rushed as well. The best ending makes sense to end this game. But the lack of understanding and knowing what the hell all our decisions in the past 10 years spanning 3 discs meant is an absolute atrocity. For the repsect of players who haven't finished it, I won't spoil it. But after a certain sequence occurs in near the end, I could not understand what and who happened to be where and why. This needs to be fixed. Bioware and EA need to do the fans justice and give a free DLC with a more appropriate ending. If they decide to charge us (which they will likely do), then it will more than likely be the last bioware game I pick up. I'll still buy the DLC, b/c like all of the ME fans who have dedicated almost 10 yrs to this series spanning 3 games, we love the characters that were developed in ME1 to see a proper ending to everyone's story. Spolier websites to ease the pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbghjn7_Byc The Best article to sum up the ending... http://uninhibitedandunrepentant.tumblr.com/post/19344938387/mind-holy-fuck
  • SoullessEcho - March 26, 2012 7:34 p.m.

Definition of fanboy. 1.a person willing to defend and promote the object of his affection regardless of fact and objectivity. This encompasses everything from technological items like PC's and game consoles to gearheads and fishing fanatics. Nintendo fanboy: Wii is better than PS3 and X360! Gearhead: Greddy exhaust is way better than Dynomax! Fisherman: Fly fishing rods by St. Croix are the best! Golfer: If it's not a Calloway, its not a club! 2.An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc. Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions. Known for using the phrase "Object of affection = Best Ever" However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it. Troll the internet to spread the gospel. Insult/chastise others for using public forums to express an objective opinion, no matter how constructive or, respectful it may be. (Go ahead and admit that it's a good game/movie/etc. This fact and anything else will be promptly ignored in favor of cherry picking the negative, and beating you over the head with it. Tend to resort to petty annoyance replies when backed against the wall. Usually grammar attacks and non-replies. "Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever!" "Ocarina of Time is the best game ever!" "Linux is the best OS ever!" "Xbox is the best console ever!" "Dragonball Z is the best show ever!" The only fanboys I have encountered regarding this subject are the writers of op-ed pieces who have never played the game yet still feel the need to defend the corporate entities that developed,published and sold said game. By definition people complaining about the ending are anything but fanboys.
  • CancerMan - March 26, 2012 7:28 p.m.

I've been thinking about for a while now and I think I'm okay with the ending as is. Was it a fantastic ending to a beloved franchise? No. Was it a perfectly satisfying conclusion? No. It was however thought provoking, and much less cliche than "Sheperd saves the universe unscathed and gets a bj from [insert love interest]". Besides Houghton's right when he says any revisions Bioware makes to the ending will be completely hollow, as fans are essentially asking for fan-fiction to overwrite the real thing.
  • Jaulen - March 27, 2012 8:22 p.m.

Much less cliche? The dues ex machina trope has been around since the Greeks. That's like being SUPER cliche.
  • VHSdream - March 26, 2012 3:55 p.m.

So much butthurt from one article... Lulz.
  • Rainbow-Carnage - March 26, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Wow, I think this might be Gamesradar's second most commented article (first most commented is the Talkradar 150 article)
  • Chappy87 - March 26, 2012 3:06 p.m.

The frustration grows for so many of us because we're being lambasted by people who haven't played the game. Who haven't experienced the ending. For me, I'm not demanding they change the ending. I'd love it if I could play an alternative ending (and yes, call me childish but I'd love the happy hero end!), but it doesn't mean the current one can't remain. It does however need something done to clarify the baffling holes in the plot. I don't think anyone can really appreciate the bewilderment unless you've experienced it. You spend 50+ hours developing your own unique character, being allowed to make every major decision in the story over 3 games, then just when you think this fantastic finale awaits you... everything just grinds to a halt, none of your decisions matter, and the character in front of you is no longer the one you have created but instead the Lvl 1 drone you began with way back at the start. I don't hate Bioware, and I think the series is a major achievement for the gaming industry in general. They've created a game where you genuinely feel the main character is yours, not just the same Chris Redfield/Tommy Vercetti/Solid Snake that everyone else is playing as. You become attached to this character, his friends, his galaxy, and you feel robbed when it all ends in such a poor, confusing fashion. The negative reaction to the ending is as much a victory for Bioware as a positive reaction- they've created something that people have really become attached to in a way that most games haven't been able to. And it's that reason why I feel they need to address this issue in one way or another. I just can't believe, given all they have achieved with this series, that the creators can be truly happy signing off the way they have. There's nothing wrong with being creative, there's nothing wrong with having a bittersweet ending, but there is something wrong with making a mess of it and leaving so many disappointed. They only had to look at Red Dead Redemption to see that it could be done- and done well. With RDR the ending fitted, it made sense. ME3's ending simply doesn't work, doesn't make sense, and leaves people scratching their heads. For those that haven't played it: imagine if in Star Wars, after Han and Chewie have left, that they didn't come back. No mention again until right at the end, where you see them crash land the Falcon in Times Square. And that's it. No further explanation. Tell me you'd be happy with that ending?
  • mikehoncho - March 26, 2012 2:55 p.m.

Dear Mr. President, there are too many states these days. Please eliminate 3. I am not a crackpot.
  • Greg_Gamer - March 26, 2012 11:52 a.m.

Thank you, David, for voicing out so professionally what many of us think. And the comments here also prove the "self-importance" argument the text exemplifies. These fanboys failed to comprehend the argument of this article. It's not about the content of the ending, whether it does or does not answer questions, so on, so forth. It's about the attitude, the action. You are consuming an authoral product, and by that, you accept the author's ideas. It must sums up as "I liked it" or "I didn't like it", period. You are not entitled in changing something that isn't yours, you don't understand the creative processes, nor are you in the head of those who created it. You can't blame everything on the publishers, stating that BioWare is saint, it was not their fault. You purchase it you consume it, you draw your conclusions and move on. Imagine if everyone who didn't like the ending of Lord of the Rings wrote letters and organized protests to make the director re-film a "more plausible" ending, one which Frodo would lose the ring in Mordor... Or if people organized online plebiscits to make J.K. Rowling revive Snape and change Dumbledore's fate. It simply does not work. I utterly agree with this article in every stance. It doesn't matter if you have or have not played ME1, ME2 or ME3, because the point of this issue isn't about the specificities of a product, but rather the wholeness of the system. BioWare, please: don't give in to the fanboys.
  • ParagonT - March 26, 2012 12:50 p.m.

You really need to read through some of the comments and you might see the points that are being made. I just got back from class (so I'm seriously tired), so please, inform yourself so many of us do not have to repeat it. Thanks.
  • anthonymccann - March 26, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Imagine if people didn't like the end of Fallout 3 and due to the fans' reaction Bethesda went and rele.....oh, wait a minute....THAT HAPPENED and the industry as a whole didn't go down the shitter. Seriously dude, how about you try and see WHY people are upset rather than simply seeing that people are upset?
  • august-hahn - March 26, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Greg, you really aren't grasping what's happening here, are you? There's a good reason why no one protested J.K. Rowling's ending for Snape or the last scenes in Lord of the Rings. Those made sense. They may not have been the happiest possible endings but they were consistent and compliant with the story until that point. The ending controversy over ME3 is fundamentally different. I do not intend to spoiler here but if you have actually played the three games you should know exactly what I mean. The three ending possibilities are totally inconsistent with both the character of Shepard and with the game's own lore up to that point. In truth, I think the crux of your argument (if it can be called that) is you just enjoy calling other people 'fanboys'. I humbly submit that you posted a comment to a Video Game blog. Surprise; you're one of us too. :)
  • FatRat - March 29, 2012 7:29 p.m.

No no no you are completly missing the point, the quality and content of the endings is irrelivant here, you are perfectly entiteled to say "the ending to this story sucked" that is not the issue here. The problem is with people saying "the ending to this story sucked AND I DEMAND THAT IT BE CHANGED!" Sorry no you are not the Auther of this story Bioware is, they get to choose how it ends.
  • xlyesterdaylx - March 26, 2012 11:12 a.m.

I stopped caring what you had to say when you said you didn't even finish mass effect 1. Whose idea was it to let someone write an article about a game they didn't even experience.
  • MayorOfAmerica - March 26, 2012 11:29 a.m.

And yet you commented on it, therefore making the same mistake that David did. Writing about something you haven't experienced :-)
  • MayorOfAmerica - March 26, 2012 11:30 a.m.

Oops, sorry. Guess I'm the idiot now. Should've read your comment more clearly. Sorry about that.