• Roentgen - March 23, 2012 10:56 a.m.

For me it's not even the half-arsed way they ended it. It's not the glaring plot holes, the sudden entire change of character of Shepard and it's most certainly not the unhappy ending. What frustrated me at the end was that it did not come down to the consequence of your actions throughout the three games, it came down to "Here's 3 choices, color-coded to indicate Paragon, Neutral and Renegade. Pick which ending you want!" After three fantastic and engaging games, nothing mattered in the end except that you pick which ending you want from the list, none of your decisions had any weight at all. As much as it would be a slippery slope of its own, I really hope the "ending" in the game was an elaborate indoctrination sequence and that the true ending will be released in (hopefully free) DLC form.
  • BladedFalcon - March 23, 2012 10:53 a.m.

"I HAVE NO IDEA OR KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUBJECT I'M GOING TO TALK ABOUT, BUT I'M SURE MY OPINION'S RIGHT REGARDLESS" Jesus Houghton, you've stooped to a level reserved only for the most closed-minded, conceited, stupid of fanboys...
  • KnowYourPokemon - March 23, 2012 11:43 a.m.

On a side note I'm sure he could get a job with Fox News now...
  • OD-Apache - March 23, 2012 11:48 a.m.

It stopped being funny with all of this negativity these last couple days. I thought we we're the ones whining, but all the naysayers just resort to yelling at us from atop their high horses about artistic integrity and what not. We're just trying to make sense of all this, we may have quite a few extremists who yell back, but so does every other section of society.
  • Desann - March 23, 2012 10:51 a.m.

Yeah really, if you don't know what the ending is, you really don't know that all this hoopla is justified. The games are all so incredibly well-written and carefully crafted up to that point, but the quality of the storytelling suddenly plummets so far and so fast, people's heads are still spinning. Well, if you read into it, and not take any of it at face value, and give it the context of the indoctrination theory, that whole sequence is suddenly back up to par with the rest of the game, and actually pretty awesome. The only problem with viewing it that way is that the curtain falls before the story ends! Before the final battle and the climax of the franchise. They hit the breaks and stopped the show at the worst possible time. If it was always their plan to finish this story in DLC, it would be another slap in the face to be asked to pay for it. ...I won't pretend that I won't buy it, though. I wouldn't for any other game, but this franchise is the greatest. Sure, the ending as it stands and taken at face value is one of the worst I've ever seen, but I just ADORE these games still. I'm going back through the game a second time, and I plan to play through it at least once more before loading up the first one and doing it all again. Mass Effect is definitely my favorite franchise of all time. Better than any movie or TV show or anything I've ever played or seen. As its presented, the ending is terrible, and the lowest point in the series, but it didn't kill the love I have for it.
  • yanks5531 - March 23, 2012 10:49 a.m.

It would be nice if this guy actually played the game before going on a two page rant about how wrong the community and diehards are.
  • snipes101 - March 23, 2012 10:45 a.m.

(Light Spoilers) I dont want Bioware to make my decisions more relevant, I dont want Bioware to make the ending a happy one, I dont want Bioware to make an ending I envisioned (that who take mass effect back campaign is utter shit and everyone involved are a bunch of arrogant pricks), I dont even want Shepard to live. What I want is a damn ending. I can see your argument and I think if Bioware is going to change something, the community should have nothing to do with it. But, dude, they did not end the game. It ends on what is essentially a cliff hanger. Plot holes, contradictions, none of it is good. Then, after the credits, to be slapped in the face with a "buy DLC!" message just put the icing on the screw you cake they made for us. Yes, the experience as a whole is great. I plan on playing through the game again. The problem lies in the fact that the whole thing comes off as lazy. I dont care what Bioware promised gamers, I didnt even follow the game pre launch because I wanted it to be a surprise. I want them to admit they screwed up or at least try to explain their "ending" a little more.
  • john-a-tron3000 - March 23, 2012 10:41 a.m.

I dont agree with bashing the employees, they have worked hard to give us these fantastic games. So it just does not make sense that any one involved would allow their game, that they have spent years working on end with absolutely no closure. its like watching the last lord of the rings without the epilogue. Or return of the jedi without the final show down. People who say they are ashamed need to think. If you buy a car with something missing and the makers say they will sell it to you at a later date, you would complain. If u pay to see a film u expect to see the whole film, not beginning, middle, half an end then the rest when it comes out on dvd. Look at metal gear solid 4 they got the ending right no dlc required, does that not say something. We have a right to complain when companies such as EA and Activision milk as much money from us as possible. What happened to giving the customer as much content as possible. I remember unlocking secret characters within the game by doing something, not by handing over more money. I dont remember dlc been needed for any ps2 or ps1 games. We need to stand together and stop this before its too late and we end up paying at the end of every level just to get to the next. Also if you haven't PLAYED the game AND SEEN the ending then you dont have the right to comment. Thanks
  • xMagnumMGx - March 23, 2012 10:40 a.m.

I agree with this 100% The creation and existence of any game is left in the hands of the creators, writers, concept artist and anyone else involved. While this article is his opinion and none your comments will make him rewrite this article, sit back and look at the increase in user self entitlement. Did these gamers contribute to the over all design? No. Did these gamers help story board? No. Did these gamers help build a fictional universe for people to explore? No. Did they purchase the game? Yes. Okay then they have 100% say in the outcome of the game. I believe that if Bioware backs down and rewrite everything they did for the ended it is going to be a massive punch in the face of the gaming industry all because of opinionated gamers who don't like an ending. Was the experience worth the trip? Opinion based. Was the ending to your liking? Opinion based. Hell while we are at it lets complain to Ken Levin and irrational games to remake Bioshock because the ending sucked. Let's complain to Rockstar to remake GTIV because the ending was lackluster. Do not pressure game designers into rethinking what they themselves put hundreds of hours creating for your enjoyment. It will be a massive step back in creating new and original games. Grow up people and quit venting you idiotic ideals on game designers who already have a hard enough time creating a game that people will find playable.
  • HeavyTank - March 23, 2012 10:48 a.m.

wat.
  • ParagonT - March 23, 2012 4:47 p.m.

They get paid to create games, they market their games, they deigned the games for a target audience, and they also made statements of what the game would be like before release, and they made a plot hole ridden ending. Your whole paragraph is invalid. They're a company, not artists. You can't even prove that it will set a bad precedent, your just assuming. If you think its logical, then i will assume that by not changing the ending they will set a horrible precedence. I would be more understanding, but you don't seem to grasp what the hubbub is about. Let alone your a little demeaning, so please enjoy your fill.
  • Ishwarll - March 23, 2012 10:37 a.m.

"The Matrix sequels were crap, but their crapness wasn’t the biggest tragedy. The biggest tragedy was that a concept so huge and open to almost infinite interpretations was tied to a single linear trilogy following a single narrative path." It's funny how this is what literally happened with the ME3 ending.
  • kylemulderick - March 23, 2012 10:33 a.m.

Finally, there is someone who understands what having Bioware is having to do is a cataclysmic mistake and will site precident for years to come. This means i can go and complain to Infinty Ward that the Modern Warfare story lines were laden with gaping plotholes and incositencies because to much time was spent making a new MP map. Did no one conisder any of what are being called plotholes to be seeds for future stories coming out via DLC? One of them may have you tasked with locating the Normandy and its crew and finding out why they bolted from the final battle? We all love this series and its characters. But Bioware loves them even more than all of us. These games were more than five years of their lives. They would never do anything they thought would be detrimental to their work. And was everyone seriously expecting a rainbows and puppy dog ending in the end? This was a freaking GALATIC scale war. A war that has NEVER been won by the galaxy. Everyone was praying that the Crucible would be some magic MacGuffin you could wave and make all the Reapers just disappear. And look at your Effective Military Stength bar towards the end. At best, you had a even chance of winning. 50-50. People were going to die, the outcome was going to be survivable at best. Bottom line, the game lived up to everything it should have for me and more. Bioware did a fantastic job all around. I just wish more people couldve been happy with it. Any change or victory in the finale now just feels hollow and undeserving. You think anyone landing on D-Day got to go running to commanding officers and cry that the Nazis werent playing fair and the rules need to be changed
  • HeavyTank - March 23, 2012 10:36 a.m.

If they made the ending like this just so they could release DLC to fix it then we have a whole other problem on our hands...
  • majorsuave - March 23, 2012 10:27 a.m.

"To do so would give the impression of admitting a lack of faith in its own world staff. It would give the impression of admitting that a crowd-sourced ending-by-committee dictated by a bunch of literal amateurs is more worthy than the work of its own creatives." This sums it all. You don't need any more arguments.
  • GreasySTEVE927 - March 23, 2012 10:23 a.m.

Sorry but you obviously don't know jack about this situation. First of all, you haven't completed any of the Mass Effect games. Secondly, you don't seem to know about the differences between the ending Bioware promised and the one they delivered. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10405204/1 This thread quotes some of the interviews that were done within a month of the game's release, after the game was finished. They detailed a cut and paste ending that would most certainly not be in ME3. That ending was then in ME3. The ending is poorly written, it abandons the themes of the series, and there are some serious plot holes in it. Why don't you wait until you've actually played it before you open your mouth?
  • Balaska - March 23, 2012 10:23 a.m.

Mr Houghton, you get it 100%. I have played ME 1,2 and 3 and seen pretty much all possible outcomes. Bioware did fine. Also, if you watch past the credits and actually listen to what is said, you will understand that there is more to Shepards story. Don't like it? Go get a degree in English, become a writer and join a games company, write the stories you want.
  • HeavyTank - March 23, 2012 10:32 a.m.

If you're saying that the ending's "fine" then I'm sorry, but you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in quality between Twilight and The Lord of the Rings. If you want I can illustrate why the ending is so terrible from a writer's point of view, but there are many, MANY posts on the Bioware forums that do that quite well. Hell, some fans even wrote alternate endings, and most of them are much better than the originals, something that destroys the already idiotic "let's see you do better" argument.
  • Bloodstorm - March 23, 2012 10:21 a.m.

You're points are meaningless as long as you have not beaten Mass Effect 3. You're just blowing smoke at this point. The ending is bad because basically one writer reached a point and said "dang, how the heck do we wrap this up?" and then the other said "forget about it, just through in a light show of varying colors and pretend the rest of the games never existed." This isn't outrage because it didn't end how we imagined it in our minds, it is outrage because it didn't end with any relevance to everything that had taken place before it. There were so many holes and inconsistencies in the end of the game that it was just unforgivable.
  • HeavyTank - March 23, 2012 10:18 a.m.

I didn't expect this from GR.An article that begins with "I don't know what I'm talking about, BUT..." is unacceptable for a gaming journalism site (or whatever you want to call it). And I read the article anyway, and it's still rubbish.So they created a wonderful universe, no doubt about that. But does that put them above criticism for messing up one of the most important parts of the game's script? No, no it doesn't, just like people don't excuse shitty performances from star athletes. On the contrary, exactly because they're so good they should've never made that mistake in the first place.