• CerebralAssassination - March 29, 2012 11:13 a.m.

nice article. totally agree
  • CerebralAssassination - March 29, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Not really lol. I was having trouble posting so I used the dummy post above to see what the problem was. Anyways, to everyone supporting David, take a look at 2 of his "high-horse" articles. I tried posting the links but something kept going wrong. One is about David urging gamers to stand united against the flaws of a game (Skyrim PS3 version) instead of fighting amongst each other. The second has him urging people to not blindly support a game company (Bethesda) and simply accept or ignore the flawed games it produces (again Skyrim PS3 version). By now, it should be clear that David is either just trying to incite a flame war and generate a lot of hits on his article (just like the Dark Souls vs Skyrim article in IGN) or is just a hypocritical douchebag. You decide. Or not. Keep on blindly supporting him. Just thought I'd point out the obvious.
  • ThePrivateer - March 29, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Pretty sure Dave's the worst thing about Gamesradar. He posts absurd sensationalist articles that are pure opinion. Remember his "Why Gears of War 3 is the Spider-Man 3 of videogames" article? That pissed me off to no end. He acts like his opinions are fact. I'm fine with his High Horse articles, because that's what they're for. But nearly ALL of his need to be High Horse. To be honest, the UK branch is really bringing the site down with too many "funny" articles that add nothing.
  • CerebralAssassination - March 30, 2012 2:45 a.m.

I know what you mean and I agree completely. I mean, it's one thing to give your opinion but its a completely different thing to act like your opinion is fact and insulting everyone else who thinks differently. What's even worse in Dave's case is how he refuses to be informed about the matter and just says things like this. Anyways, I'm still unable to post the links for some reason so I'll just post the headings of the 2 article I mentioned above: 1. High Horse: Broken PS3 Skyrim was inevitable, is inexcusable, and is probably your fault 2. High Horse: When is a gaming community not a community? When it's a selfish, self-destructive mess Pretty sure anyone will be able to find them using the site's search feature or google. Enjoy. Or not
  • fantasy242 - March 29, 2012 7:09 a.m.

Prince of persia 4 had an epilogue ending if I remember right for xbox and that ending wasn't as nearly as bad as me3 ending. Anyone who's emerged themselves into a story over the course of five years, put countless hours and spent above 200$ would certainly not be okay with how it ended. Reasons why they should make a dlc that will give the fans a true sense of closure. a) plot holes are more than obvious. They scream in your face if you truly paid attention to the lore. Where were those deep long dialogues that explain everything? Tie everything into place? b) the endings have been ripped from another game( for a company that has been known for its original concept in games( example Jade Empire) this is most disappointing) c) false advertising and promises."Take earth back" yeah sure. d) lack of proper space battle( people spend all the time gathering allies and in the end nothing is shown of that huge space armada players brought up to earth) e)they said they'd show tali's face. Instead we got a re-done image. Where is originality in this?
  • miles-weaver - March 29, 2012 6:23 a.m.

Is it too much to ask that the writer of an article about the ending of a three game series has at least experienced the ending of the series that he's talking about? I understand that the issue of Bioware changing the ending of a creative work has implications far outside of just the Mass Effect universe, but I don't think you have a place to comment on the response to the ending until you've experience said ending. Also, I don't remember anyone heralding the death of the creative medium when George Lucas spent a decade changing Star Wars after he'd completed it. Nor do I remember the hysteria being quite as defeaning when the producers of I Am Legend decided to change the entire ending and theme of the film because test audiences didn't 'get' or like the original ending (the one the book had). That was a direct case of an audience changing the ending of a film - a finished film in its test screening phase. The nature of the creative medium didn't implode because of this. Endings get changed sometimes. This will be the first time that a fan outcry has caused a producer to potentially change the ending sure, but it isn't going to lead to the end of the world. Mass Effect 3 is the culmination of a critically acclaimed, three game story. Publishers are not going to change the ending to a one off game whenever there is a fan outcry, the Mass Effect thing is an unusual and very different style of circumstance.
  • james-collar - April 2, 2012 11:20 a.m.

Thing is, George Lucas decided to change his work years later. On his own, and for that fact MANY fans hate it. Our mantra is, HAN SHOT FIRST. But, it's his right to change it, as he's the man behind Star Wars. But, for us as fans to demand he change it so that Luke saves his father and Anakin walks Leia down the isle when she marries Han Solo and then they all live happily ever after... We don't have that right, and I'm sorry, neither do we have the right to make similar demands of Bioware with Mass Effect 3.
  • ThePrivateer - March 28, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Dave, does this mean you think DICE is losing their integrity by responding to fan feedback and patching Battlefield 3 to change it and make it better?
  • jxspyder - March 28, 2012 10:33 p.m.

There's this old cliche about apples and oranges, and the inherent dangers of comparing them. It applies here. Patching the game to better balance the weapons and classes is completely different than changing the game's story. Oddly enough, Bioware is also tweaking the multiplayer settings in order to better balance them. Guess that makes your point pretty much utterly worthless. Congrats.
  • ThePrivateer - March 29, 2012 4:32 p.m.

It's responding to fan feedback and changing the game. Same thing. Stop being a douche.
  • Ravenbom - March 28, 2012 11:33 a.m.

I agree they shouldn't change the ending but just as a counter-point they did already sell us on Arrival which is a pretty vital chunk of the Mass Effect story connecting ME2 and ME3.
  • Smeggs - March 27, 2012 11:43 p.m.

"Yes, let the hate flow through you..." I'm so tired of posting and reposting my points to people who say they've never even played the game, I'm just gonna make this short. If you don't know what you're speaking ON, then don't try to speak OF it. The minute you told us you say you've not even played past the first game, you lose ALL credibility in the arguement. There are way too many points that can be made about how horrendous the ending was and how Bioware basically flat-out lied to their fanbase multiple times (and evidence of this is plentiful) about the ending for a simple article post. Bioware made promises and did not uphold them. We want what was promised us, not some slapdash stain on the game. If Bioware isn't able to uphold their end of the bargain, then they shouldn't have made any fucking claims in the first place. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if they DON'T give the fans at least some closure, as the majority of those who cried foul want, then BIOWARE are the ones destroying the medium. Since when were you able to call, "ARTISTIC INTEGRITY" as a shield to defend terrible art? It's a disservice not only to the fanbase but to Bioware themselves if they truly leave this ending as is when compared to the rest of the writing in the series.
  • tharoo - March 27, 2012 9:18 p.m.

I've played mass effect 1 & 2 twice through and absolutely loved the story telling, an amazing experience. I just finished mass effect 3 and it was a crazy game and I thoroughly enjoyed the ending, sure I was very sad but bioware are great at what they do and I knew from the beginning that it was a trilogy and their had to be a solid ending. Loved it thank you, bioware
  • joe-hudkins - March 27, 2012 8:41 p.m.

Hey buddy, how about you finish the series before you make an argument? It tends to make you look credible and more informed about your comments and opinions. One thing I did take from your article is your name and to avoid any future ramblings you may make.
  • Jaulen - March 27, 2012 8:24 p.m.

So...we're supposed to take the opinions of someone who hasn't even finished the first game seriously? Thants akin to giving a review of a rock concert when you've only listed to the first 30 seconds of the band's first released album, three albums ago.
  • KimonoOwl - March 27, 2012 1:46 p.m.

I didn't like the ending, and this article has done nothing to make me think the ending shouldn't be altered, but what really gets me about it is this: 'Let me just point something out here. BioWare’s writers are the same people who have spent the last five years crafting the stories and universe that made Mass Effect’s fans so attached and passionate in the first place.' Really? So where was Drew Karpyshyn? You know the head writer for the 1st game, co-head writer for the 2nd and author of the 3 good books? The guy who basically created the universe? The one who quit and didn't work on mass effect 3? That one. People were so angry about the 4th book (written by William C. Dietz) that Bioware have said that all the many errors will be altered and removed from the next run of the book. And rightly so. Also, I'm pretty sure it isn't going to spell the end of books a medium.
  • viberunner - March 31, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Drew is a legend. The dialogue he wrote for Knights of the Old Republic stands as some of the best dialogue ever created, video game or otherwise. Sorely missed from Mass Effect 3 he's one of the reasons I'm tempted to get a PC and sub to The Old Republic MMO.
  • ThePrivateer - March 27, 2012 1:42 p.m.

I really wish Dave wasn't allowed to write articles anymore.
  • ZhugeLiang - March 27, 2012 9:51 a.m.

A lot of people are accusing Dave of bias... in his opinion article.
  • AnonymouZ - March 27, 2012 8:10 a.m.

Nah dude. I agree. They should not change it, so that we acknowledge the fact that Bioware doesn't give a shit about it's own IPs. And next time we don't get invested in their games... because we won't be buying them.
  • ShortFuse - March 27, 2012 2:42 a.m.

The implications this has to gaming as a whole are far greater than a throwaway comment on the ending of ME3... It's not so much about the ending (which is undeniably poor) but this sort of outrage is unprecedented and dangerous. Refer to Henrik Ibsen: "A minority may be right, and a majority is always wrong." Just to throw my two cents in I thought ME3 not only had a poor ending but was just an average game on the whole. Played through the whole series for some reason without ever really thinking it was particularly brilliant...
  • Lurchibald - March 27, 2012 8:53 a.m.

man... what a stupid quote... That's right people, since the majority of people think murder is wrong then it's really ok, because they are wrong about murder being wrong.... reminds me of a certain game ending... lol