We Recommend

• losthero15 - February 20, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Mario 3d land and mario kart 7 are huge parts of why the 3ds was able to pull out of its slump. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
  • Scoob - February 20, 2012 12:47 p.m.

In a period of 25 years through 5 system, there has been what? 8 games in the main series. 9 if you're counting Yoshi's Island. They are regularly genre defining games. How about Sony's top platformer: Ratchet and Clank? Has it really brought anything new between the 7 games in 10 years through 2 systems? Other IPs get so much more games than Mario, or Zelda for that matter. The difference is that these ones came out in the 80s, while most others are about 10 years old. Having said that, how will other developers be able to copy Nintendo if Nintendo shelves their best IPs?
  • GhostNappa2k10 - February 21, 2012 4:30 a.m.

There may be only 8/9 main games, but look at all the different spin-offs, and you can see why people believe Nintendo should give Mario a break. I, for one, think they should stop with all the damn spin-offs, as that is probably what's making people believe Mario needs a break. The core games have never stopped being excellent (even the under-rated Sunshine), but the spin-offs need a break.
  • SuperUberBear - February 20, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Put his face on and I shall pay lol...I don't mind being blindly loyal cus they're always high quality fun to play games.
  • R-ape - February 20, 2012 3:26 p.m.

As long as the games are good, there shouldn't be a reason to stop.
  • talleyXIV - February 20, 2012 3:48 p.m.

I might be the only person in the world that thinks that 3D Mario sucks in general. The last one I enjoyed was Super Mario Sunshine and I have played all of them. The level to level system is very repetitive and I think if you are going to do platformer, it should be 2D.
  • RonnyLive19881 - February 20, 2012 4:47 p.m.

And thus the Nintendo trolling continues... personally I CANT WAIT for Paper Mario 3DS and what ever other Mario titles pop up on the 3DS and Wii U! If it wasn't for Nintendo I would have given up gaming years ago... in fact I never would have started.
  • tod-pagle - February 20, 2012 5:07 p.m.

mario is the little wayne of video games.
  • IceBlueKirby - February 20, 2012 6:32 p.m.

I love core Mario games, I love most Mario Kart and sports games (except Golf), I love the first five Mario Party games, so...yeah, I love Mario games, and see no reason for them to stop making them. This isn't something I can consider from a financial standpoint or from an industry point of view. This is something that I can only see from my point of view, so if it appears I'm not analyzing this very well, then congratulations, you get a cookie, detective.
  • oshunanat - February 20, 2012 7:34 p.m.

I say a reluctant yes, but only because I feel that Nintendo depends so heavily on him that they rather just keep churning out another game with him in it, then trying to create a new IP with which to grab our attention.
  • Fiirestorm21 - February 20, 2012 8:11 p.m.

Yes, for two reasons: 1) Likely will force Nintendo invest in a new IP 2) Gives us plenty of time to miss Mario games, making an eventual return that much sweeter
  • shawksta - February 20, 2012 11:19 p.m.

But we BARELY have any Core Mario titles, Galaxy 2 is the ONLY exception, Its already bad enough we have to usually wait 4-5 years.
  • DecoyOctorok - February 20, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Absolutely not. The Super Mario Galaxies are hands down my favorite games from this console generation. Nintendo can make as many spin-offs as they want as long as the core titles are as fresh and creative as ever.
  • Arix - February 20, 2012 9:07 p.m.

Here's my take on the matter. It doesn't matter what face is put to a game - that doesn't change what the game is. If Super Mario Galaxy starred any other character, it would still be the same game. What matters isn't the face of the star character, what matters is how the game plays. Mario games continue to be both fun and innovative - whether or not they actually star Mario is irrelevant. So no, I don't think Ninty need to retire Mario at all.
  • Pinbot95 - February 20, 2012 9:10 p.m.

Keep Mario to platforming for a while and leave spin-offs alone for a while (with the exception of smash bros. of course). That's my opinion at least.
  • xarab4lyfex - February 20, 2012 9:45 p.m.

with the exception of galaxy 2, they've only released one main 3d platforming mario title per console. I doubt we're gonna see another mario platformer like 3D Land for a while. But this is where DLC can come in. If we had DLC and extra levels to play, I would gladly give nintendo my money and put the cd back in. Make it happen Nintendo. Oh and make Mario Sunshine 2 happen, please.
  • AuthorityFigure - February 21, 2012 12:03 a.m.

I think all of the NEW SMBs stunk, and the 3DS ones don't interest me either. If I was a shareholder, I would want Mario to come out at intervals that maximize sales - that is, not too often.
  • Hobogonigal - February 21, 2012 12:35 a.m.

How did they stink? I may be able to understand the multiplayer aspect of NSMB Wii but it was great on the DS. There was a massive gap between NSMB DS and the last mario 2D platformer and that is why they may have sold so many copies; because they did what you said and left an interval. Also SML3D is fantastic, its a shame you weren't interested...
  • Rub3z - February 21, 2012 3:19 p.m.

A true, core Mario game... like 3DLand or Galaxy... doesn't come out too often. Mostly one or two per console. I don't think people are getting sick of Mario. Look at Disney. Have people gotten sick of Mickey Mouse? How can a person, really, get "sick of" these characters? I think they're here to stay. People love them. It must be the overalls. With the big buttons. And the white gloves. And those shoes. They just never seem to go out of style.
  • psycho ninja 4 - February 21, 2012 12:06 a.m.

Honestly i've gotten sick of seeing mario. But the core gameplay is still fun after all this time. Nintendo could use a new franchise But Mario's practically there mascot.