• HeadSquidZombie - March 16, 2011 7:52 p.m.

@HeadSquidZombie If you’re actually going to read this, I suggest you read my other comment first. Anyway, I forgot to say how imaginative Majora’s Mask is. The whole 72 hours till doomsday idea and the story itself were really creative and original. Having 3 days to save the world is a little strange at first, but once you start playing it makes sense, and you see just how creative it is. It also came with a few perks. Termina had a banker (beggar?) and that meant you could amass a small fortune in rupees without worrying about how much your wallet could hold. Majora’s Mask also has tons of side quests, even more than Ocarina of Time. You fight aliens, play in a Zora band, bet on puppy races, enter a photography contest, reunite lovers, race beavers, catch a thief, give toilet paper to someone (some thing?) in need, and much, much more. Remember in Twilight Princess when you escorted the dying Zora Prince? That was a salute to a side quest in Majora’s Mask. (Except instead of a prince, it was a shipment of milk.) Ok, I’m done ranting now.
  • HeadSquidZombie - March 15, 2011 8:01 p.m.

Why does everyone hate Majora’s Mask? It really isn’t as bad as everyone says it is. It’s a good Zelda game, not the best one, but definitely still worth playing. I really don’t think you (and quite a few other people) have even played it. You could have used examples from it in your article, such as “And what other game but Majora’s Mask do you get to play as a Zora, Deku Scrub, and a Goron?” I’m pretty sure you would’ve mentioned that if you had actually played it. And I’m positive you wouldn’t have called the happy mask shop owner in Ocarina of Time creepy if you had met him in Majora’s Mask. MM is definitely the weirdest of all the Zelda games. It’s about as creepy as Wind Waker is cute. Majora’s Mask is a victim of bad timing. It came out just 2 years after OOT, and that’s a really hard act to follow, let alone compete with. MM got a reputation for not being as good as OOT (which is true) so people passed it on by. Nintendo also had bad timing for trying something new. MM was only the second 3D Zelda game, and fans were not ready for such a strange Zelda. The main reason MM was labeled as a bad game is the same reason it’s so unique: the lack of Ganon, Princess Zelda, and Hyrule. Instead they had a skull kid possessed by a mask, an evil apocalyptic moon, and a useless fairy with PMS. Because the “normal” Zelda game attributes were missing, MM kind of felt like a giant side quest. Oh wait, that’s exactly what it was meant to be. Go figure. Wow, I really didn’t mean this to be so long. I just don’t understand why everyone hates on Majora’s Mask just because it’s different from all the others. It’s still a good game. And putting MM in the same category as Zelda II??? That’s a sure sign you’ve never played it. You should at least play the game before pronouncing your judgment on it. You of all people should know that. Anyway, excellent article (except for the Majora’s Mask comment) I whole heartedly agree. : ]
  • zanthox - March 9, 2011 6:55 p.m.

All praise to Jim (yet again) for showing how foolish it is to jump on the typical gamer hate wagon.
  • TheVoid - March 9, 2011 5:51 a.m.

Ehh..OK, here goes: I've played every Zelda game since (and including) the original, with the exception of the portables. And while I will continue to buy and play them for their exceptional level design and ironclad pacing, I did find myself somewhat bored with Twilight Princess. Not that it was a bad game, but rather it did feel like I had played it all before. Now I'm not arguing the series' rich history - in fact I fell in love with the recently posted painting that represents just about every familiar face across the series (which unfortunately I can't find for reference thanks to GR's lousy search functionality) - nor am I debating Nintendo's decision to make every game a reboot of sorts. Perhaps then it's the sneaking suspicion that the engine driving each game behind the scenes hasn't changed much since Ocarina. Even Wind Waker, while cleverly masked behind a total shift in artistic direction, managed to still "feel" almost exactly the same as every other 3D Zelda in terms of control, menu navigation, etc. Not to mention each character throughout this stretch of games being audibly repesented by a single sound rather than actual speech (i.e. an NPC only offering a "grunt" noise despite the spoken "text" going on at length). Or the "we can't avoid being cute even when we try to be dark" aesthetics. But I don't think that's it exactly. I certainly don't think solid voice acting will change my tune. And the menu navigation never seemed cumbersome so I can't really blame it either. So maybe then it has more to do with the fact that these aspects haven't been redressed in any way for quite some time on top of the fact that from a 10,000 foot view, yes, these games all seem pretty much the same on paper in terms of what is expected of the player. Maybe that's why I was so blown away by Majora's Mask - possibly my favorite in the series. The dungeons were in full swing in terms of puzzle complexity and combat difficulty. The "Groundhog Day" premise was completely refreshing, especially with more-sophisticated-than-usual NPC routines in play that made the side quests so rewarding. And the stakes were damn high - a moon rapidly approaching landfall that would spell certain doom for the entire planet - in itself a HUGE step up from "an age of darkness ruled by Ganon". If you failed in Majora's Mask, everyone dies, period. Further, the "main bad guy" in Majora's Mask wasn't Ganon but rather an innocent kid possessed by an evil mask - this keyed up an emotional response in me that completely overpowered the done-and-done-again "here comes bad guy Ganon - commence trembling now" reaction-fishing. In fact those that played (and beat) Majora's Mask may remember entering the final boss fight, only to find the (albeit initial) landscape to be a beautiful field of grass with a gorgeous blue sky punctuated by a single tree, underneath which sat your misguided foe. For me, that moment was more memorable that the umpteen ruins that have set the stage for my multiple clashs with Ganon. And then there's Zelda 2, which was a huge departure from the original, which I applauded wildly (even to this day, it being the only NES game I've purchased for Wii's virtual console). It may not have cemented itself in terms of "classic status" as much as the original, but here again we see the template for the original reworked for Link to the Past (not that I'm goign to torch that masterpiece) and many of the portable games that followed, while Zelda 2 remains a fresh and unique experience. Now I'm not going to argue that the Zelda series across the board tends to have more heart than most everything else out there - Nintendo has, at the very least, never lost sight of that, and for that alone I am hats off and glass raised high. But I would say that the series has been cut from the same cloth on so many levels by now that I'm starting to wonder how much "cloth" is left before it loses all sense of wonder and excitement. For example, while Twilight Princess delivered an undeniably great Zelda adventure, I found myself "going through the motions" more than being awe-struck/captivated by my surroundings and challenges. I realized that those that haven't played a Zelda game before (or in a while) would walk away with a much fonder experience than myself with Twilight Princess, perhaps because my over-familiarization with the series seemed to reveal it's inner struggle to step out of the confines it had placed around itself for fear of breaking that same-old-same-old that fans seem to never grow tired of. Sure, it's the little things that make each Zelda experience memorable, that I will not deny. But I also think it's the little things that are starting to make the series feel like it's running in place. Personally I think it's time that the big N introduces the next Majora's Mask or Zelda 2, unfortunately I don't think Skyward Sword is going to be that game.
  • jamesslater - March 8, 2011 9:09 p.m.

I agree: great article! (Is that *the* Jim Sterling? If so, may I say that I visit Destructoid regularly and it often makes me smile, and it's nice to see you getting about, and keep up the good work...um, that's it. :-) )
  • philipshaw - March 8, 2011 8:32 p.m.

I can see your point but I don't think the new game looks that compelling (although I haven't played it)
  • Ravenbom - March 8, 2011 5:32 p.m.

They're all mostly the same. The only difference is that they come out every couple of years so we don't get overwhelmed, Activision style. In fact, it's when they don't feel the same that you think there's something wrong, like Majora's Mask. Water Temples always seem to cause immense rage.
  • soranamineforever - March 8, 2011 5:04 p.m.

I have to agree; its like buying a box of jelly donuts. Fundamentally, they're the same thing, and every time you eat one, the same end result happens (you're stomach is filled), but each donut contains its own distinct flavor that makes it special. And I love my Zelda even more than I love my donuts. In terms of mainstream titles, I have enjoyed each and every one, and hell, I don't expect Skyward Sword to be any different. Its strange that in a year filled with Uncharted, Batman, Portal, and Dragon Age, I can so easily say that Skyward Sword is the obvious Game of the Year.
  • Lionzest7 - March 8, 2011 3:27 p.m.

Sounds like a group of people on an internet that decided that zeldas are all the same. They aren't and they probably never played the capcom zeldas before. Just because they use an identical plotline and similar linearity to the others, nothing else really follows suit.
  • rabidpotatochip - March 8, 2011 3:16 p.m.

Great article, I was nodding in agreement through most of it. After reading this article though, I think Link is kind of like The Doctor from Doctor Who. He's never quite the same character and his companion (Zelda) is always just a bit different but the feel of it is almost exactly the same each time. It's like having vanilla ice cream but adding a different topping again and again so there's still that layer of familiarity under something so different. Ah, this makes me want to play OoT again.
  • Odis - March 8, 2011 2:41 p.m.

This article touched me on so many levels (don't be sick yo), and I can seriously say that I got goosebumps after this. And I totally agree with you. When you play a good game, you feel the love the creators put in the game, and that is part of what makes it fun. The Legend of Zelda series do just that, every time (again again, let us not mention the CD-i games, which while I have never played, look horrendous... And maybe the side scrolling one. Never played it, so I don't know...)
  • humpiedumpie - March 8, 2011 1:08 p.m.

Nice article, Zelda is still my favourite gaming franchise, been playing it since i was a kid and i still play Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask once a year. Fantastic games, that do use a lot of the same elements, but are all different is so many ways
  • jmcgrotty - March 8, 2011 12:10 p.m.

You completely overthought this topic. The problem is that players are always chasing a game as good as the original, and it hasn't been made yet. So, the repitition is actually along the lines of "Nope, another one didn't measure up"
  • gamebrain8505 - March 8, 2011 12:06 p.m.

The zelda vibe is a drug better than every other one, but it isn't harmfull in any way, over time, it even gets reinforced by nostalgia, and that's the ultimate zelda vibe right there, the feeling a place isn't just a location in a game, it's an actual place in your heart, and every game, every location, every character manages to occupy a different place in your heart
  • Unoriginal - March 8, 2011 10:49 a.m.

Hats off to you Mr. Sterling *Applause*
  • ToninhodeZoete - March 8, 2011 9:52 a.m.

@ Triplzer0 I can't seem to find the way to quote someone. But you don't always fight Ganon at the end. There are other main antagonists you fight at the end. Like Vaati, Zant, Bellum to name a few. I'm SO looking forward to this game. Hearing the Select File/Fairy Fountain music in the Zelda Music article got me in the mood for a new epic adventure. http://www.gamesradar.com/f/the-10-best-zelda-songs-ever/a-200803041031924088/p-5 Hearing that tells me to make sure I have enough beverages and food within reach. Send everyone out of the house and get comfortable. The first time I played OoT, I played from 8 pm till 8 am. The time just went by SO fast. It was pure magic, as with every other Zelda. As with Wind Waker at the time, I had my doubts with the art style of Skyward Sword. But every time I find that I was wrong in doubting Nintendo to blow me away. Each Zelda is something special. I massively enjoy all kinds of games on all consoles but this franchise is the best of what videogaming has to offer. Peace
  • Hai-Shi - March 8, 2011 9:42 a.m.

Yes, it does get kinda old...don't get me wrong, I've always loved the franchise from the day I first got my hands on that shiny golden cartrige of the first Zelda. But the dungeons & temples in fact do get boring. I'd love something fresh withing the games. Like a completely new setting. There was some fake concepual artwork circling around the internet showing a very dark, futuristic version of Link's universe. This would be just awsome! Or a completely new entourage of enemies. Also, i wouldn't mind if the characters finally started speaking. The mumbling sounds get quite annoying and take away much of the potential (same problem with Okami btw.). HiDef wouldn't hurt the series either...imagine a dark cell shaded Zelda in full HD! Wouldn't that be awesome? Maybe on the next console. But cut the crap with 3D, no one needs that blurry experience anyway...
  • speno93 - March 8, 2011 8:14 a.m.

i totally agree with this, its like with the two DS Zelda's ,which iloved both, there both similar in style and play, But the story, gameplay and all the other little differences make each of them wonderful additions to the canon.
  • Thequestion 121 - March 8, 2011 7:12 a.m.

Great article. I've always been a fan of the series and I don't think that it hasn't gotten stale.
  • austincharlesbond - March 8, 2011 6:37 a.m.

Majora's Mask is my favourite Zelda