• Fiirestorm21 - November 24, 2011 8:43 a.m.

And inevitably some PC gamer will say this has something to do with Ubi's anti PC stance and their draconian DRM schemes, but they're missing the point. I'm a PC gamer myself, so I hate to say it, but the audience we have of paying customers, at least for hardcore games outside of the mainstream (which is definitely where I Am Alive falls), is damned small. I mean, look at PC-exclusive The Witcher 2. Can you find me a more "PC gamer friendly" game with less DRM? Yet it sold a whopping 250,000. That's pathetic, especially for a AAA game. Ubisoft can probably take lower sales like that a little better considering I Am Alive won't be PC-exclusive like The Witcher 2, but still. People get butt-hurt, and we can argue about whether or not piracy results in actual "lost sales" or not, but at the end of the day the reality is that it's just business and that sometimes, regardless of the specific reasons, we aren't a large enough audience to be profitable.
  • bangurdead1101 - November 24, 2011 9:02 a.m.

I hate to say it but you're one of these people who fall into the "PC GAMING IS DIEING" crowd. as in you're Naive. PC gaming makes up 1/3 of the sales of either Xbox360 or PS3 which is by far not "small" that includes the Paying customers you're discounting. UBI has a well established history of pushing out shoddy PC products these past years that has more and more drove PC paying customers away from them as a company. I used to buy every single Tom Clancy game on the PC till they took the series and ran them into the ground, I used to buy them all on PC, I used to buy their Xbox360 and PS3 games but no longer as I cant support a company that treats one set of customers abhorrently. Ubisoft can scream till they're blue in the face that its "piracy" thats keeping them from producing quality PC products but the only truth is that they themselves are reducing their sales and blaming it on PC piracy.
  • Travia220 - November 24, 2011 10:47 a.m.

First off Witcher 2 sold about a million copies in it's first few months. So get your facts straight. It sold 250k Digital Copies in like it's first month or so. A million copies is pretty good for an exclusive title, it's also not a "AAA" game. IT doesn't have no where near the budget or advertising to make it one. Ubisoft is a garbage company who continues to push out incredibly bad console ports. They don't give a crap about PC Gamers, they haven't for a long time. They blame Piracy but piracy is pretty nasty on the consoles as well. Ubisoft has built a pretty awful reputation with PC Gamers so it's not surprise their games do bad here. Make quality products, treat your customers like people and you'll get profits. Treat us like second rate criminals and you fail.
  • The_Tingler - November 25, 2011 2:02 a.m.

Um, The Witcher 2 sold millions and will continue to do so - hell, I've got the Deluxe Edition and I'll buy it again if I see it on Steam for a good price. This is what you get when you treat your customers properly. It sold 250,000 on CD Projekt's own GOG.com alone. As for the rest of the rebuttal about Ubisoft's crappy DRM which stops people from playing their games legally but gives pirates the best trouble-free version, last-minute pointless delays, and regular PR nightmare comments like this guy's, I really can't be bothered. Go to a site that actually gives a s**t about the PC like Rock Paper Shotgun for the proper view.
  • larkan - November 25, 2011 2:44 a.m.

The Witcher 2 was a AAA title, but is not a mainstream game, that game is for people who either: Played the original Love semi complicated RPGS Heard from a friend So 250k sold on a game that most would consider their first big hit is pretty damn good. Their foot is in the door for future endeavors, and their next title will sell in the millions if done right. The ONLY reason consoles do as well as they do is due to the fact that a majority of their sales is from kids who have no right playing the games they do, as their parents don't, well, watch them. Take the consoles away from the 8-14 year old crowd and you'll see that consoles are on par with the PC crowd.
  • D0CCON - November 24, 2011 8:30 a.m.

I know there are plenty of people who would legitimately get this, but I'm wondering how many upset fans are maddened by how they won't be pirating this anymore and if they want it, they'll actually have to pay the developer. At least they aren't using DRM anymore, right guys?