Topics

SimCity

• FreezeRay - September 1, 2012 11:05 a.m.

The always online aspect of this just kills it for me. Am I the only person who still pops SC4 in from time to time? How long do you think the SimCity servers are going to be up. Is there going to be the option of playing this in 10 years? I doubt it. and that is the main issue with always on, no-single player games.
  • Travia220 - November 29, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Well.. I'd give it 4-5 Years at most.. then the servers will be coming down.
  • robotdickens - September 1, 2012 12:41 p.m.

Always online is a major cripple. If they make an option to go offline, then that would be good. I can deal with it always being online ie. you're online and your stats are posted or kind of like Steam's online where you can still play games but you can't talk to friends.
  • unessential - September 19, 2012 2:27 a.m.

I was actually really excited about this. Seriously though the constantly online thing has really killed my excitement. I don't have any friends I'm aware of who are ever going to spend the amount of time (or any) playing Sim City that I do. Similarly if I wanted to compare my high score with an actual friend I could just show them it on my pc! I think I have read elsewhere that you can still play single player regions but you still have to be constantly online. This irritates me, it means its a form of DRM I don't appreciate but at the same time I have limited Bandwidth on my internet - these are the same issues which killed off Spore (with so much potential) a few years ago. What worries me most though is if the game is dependant on online servers how will we continue to play once EA decides it is no longer profitable? I still play Sim City 4 today, for the price I would expect the new game to have a similar lifespan.
  • minimaxi - September 27, 2012 4:47 p.m.

I totally forgot about this reboot, thanks for reminding me! but always online? idk I'll see about that.
  • LordZarlon - November 29, 2012 6:07 p.m.

HEY! You know what's new? Having to be constantly online! What a great feature. And in four years when the player base has dissipated, EA can shut down the servers and you'll never see your cities again. You know what I did the other day. I loaded up my GOG.com version of SimCity 2000 and then loaded some saved cities I made years ago. Just as fun now as it was then. Screw EA and their stupid DRM. I will not play this game!
  • LordZarlon - November 29, 2012 6:11 p.m.

Guess what Coop? The online element may not technically be DRM but what we are trying to say is that we want a new traditional SimCity. We are not getting that. All of these old franchises are coming back but as MMO's. WE DON'T WANT THAT!
  • NOGIRLSIWANNAJETPACK - November 29, 2012 6:21 p.m.

I still can't read these kind of articles
  • Travia220 - November 29, 2012 9:33 p.m.

I'm not sure how the Always Online helps enrich the game? How does it give it infinite replayability? Because all of a sudden you are competing with people? That's the dumbest thing I've read all day. Sim City 4 can be played an unlimited amounts of times and get a different play each time. Add some mods into that.. Yea.. Exactly. I hate when websites blindly try to pawn something off as a "Great" Feature when all it will be is a hindrance in this case. Not every game needs social features. If it takes "Social" Features for people to continue playing a game then PC Gaming is doomed.
  • jasoncarter - November 29, 2012 11:27 p.m.

Simcity, is no longer simcity. EA go away and take your online only crap with you. There is no good in this. If you want online multiplayer fine, but there is no way in hell I am paying for a game that can be played single player but requires an internet connection always. This is not the simcity that many others such as myself grew up on. I want simcity, a fun building city game, not a social event. If I wanted that I would go outside or hell, go to my job.
  • Viron - November 30, 2012 4:28 p.m.

For all this talk about how terrible this DRM is I really can't see any problem with it other than the potentially few times you don't have Internet, but you have electricity. And even then it really doesn't matter, you can always do something else. "Ohhh but you have to play with other people, I wanna play by myself!" Well I believe that's an option that they've mentioned before, I could be wrong, but with the potential for greifing that really seems like something they'd do. "But DRM is bad, companies like EA shouldn't force it on people!" So what, they should just let people steal their shit and not try to stop them? I also like how the company is to blame for people stealing their shit. "I didn't blame the company, I just want them to use less intrusive DRM." Well they've tried, and it appears it did not work to their satisfaction so they will keep trying until they can make it so only those fueled by corporate hate are the only one who are willing to go out of there way to pirate. Really, if you are SO INTENSELY DISSATISFIED with this, then how about voicing your opinion to Maxis or EA, instead of a place where they are likely never to see it? Because to be honest I doubt Mr. Cooper or Mr. Taljonick have the power to change it. Unless they lead a secret double life and are on the board of directors for EA.
  • zarbul-lubraz - March 7, 2013 8:28 p.m.

So, can you see the problem with it now? ;) http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57573053-1/simcity-launch-a-complete-disaster/