• Imgema - August 24, 2010 7:13 p.m.

Usually, i hate it when games are short. But there is one game that changed all that for me. That game is Portal. I don't know if it would be better if it was longer but i think it was exactly as long as it should.
  • thebigtarget1 - August 24, 2010 7:07 p.m.

thats stupid. Just play an hour a day for the next year. If its a hundred hour game it will last you 100 days. thats pretty good, thats a game well bought. why buy a game and say you want it to be shorter. thats just less play time. dont be a douche just spread it out more. the wife and kids dont care what game you r playing, as long as you dont play to much!
  • Defguru7777 - August 24, 2010 6:40 p.m.

I want to finish the games that I buy, but a lot of times other games come out and derail that. I believe, though, that I will finish them eventually.
  • thekeith82 - August 24, 2010 6:39 p.m.

For me, I would expect 15-20 hours from a linear, story driven game. As for sandboxes, as long as I have plenty to do I'm happy. I think I usually average about 50 hours on most sandbox games (more on some. Fallout 3 took me about 150, I'm still playing Oblivion well past that). I do make a point of finishing at least the story mode on everything I buy, but I won't always do replays or scorewhoring if I didn't enjoy it all that much. At the really crazy end of the scale, I put in over 2,000 (yes, two thousand) hours on Pokemon Pearl, and I have already put in over 350 on Soul Silver, but that's mainly because I can sit and play on the DS while my wife watches crappy TV.
  • OrionOnyx - August 24, 2010 6:13 p.m.

I love long games! I hate beating a game and then being bored of it because there is nothing left to do.
  • Crofto - August 24, 2010 5:53 p.m.

Just find myself agreeing with you as usual David. RE4 is actually an example I often think of with regard to game-length; if the time is used well then more gametime is the best all round.
  • Outlander - August 24, 2010 5:49 p.m.

I really liked this article and I think you expressed my opinion quite accurately. My favorite game of all time is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, I've had it for years and I've finished all the main quests but there is so much more to do and it's never gotten old. Point being it's an incredibly long game but I've never stopped and thought. Man, I wish I had less content here! As opposed to Halo trilogy which you could finish all three games in a weekend. All of them felt perfectly fine in length to me. [Except for levels him the flood they seemed to go on! how I hate those bastards.} So, I agree with you. It really has to do with the game and the individual gamer. It's a case by case basis and I DO NOT think all games should be epics like Elder Scrolls OR Short fun games like Portal. It's a healthy balance that keeps things fresh and interesting.
  • ragingearth - August 24, 2010 5:47 p.m.

When I was younger, I hardly finished a game. Now, that I am older and wiser, I like to see a game through to it's conclusion. Some games I might lose interest in, so I'll put in another one until said game peaks my interest again. It's not the fact that games are long (Dragon Quest 8, thanks a lot!!), it's the content or story that cause some people to lose interest.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 24, 2010 5:38 p.m.

@Batman: Depends on the game. Remember to add in replay value, multiplayer [both online and local], and general futzing around factor into the amount of time you get out of a game. I paid $25 for MegaMan 2 this past spring, something I can beat in under 40 minutes...but for as often as I play that game [I've easily gotten 100 hours out of it since that purchase, and close to 5 times that over my entire life], the price is more than fair. I try to spend less than $1/hour for games, though the best ones I can get full price and still see a $0.25/hr...or less...price to play. That said, I do feel games are overhyped and overpriced, especially once you start getting into the 'good for a single afternoon shovelware' stuff. $40 is my sweet spot for price...if it's a game I'm looking forward to, if I see it for that I'll snag it. It has to be utterly epic, something I hotly anticipate, and/or a special edition to command more than that from my wallet.
  • SweatyCrease - August 24, 2010 5:31 p.m.

If gamers get bored halfway through a game, then that is a failure on the developers part.
  • Giinjii - August 24, 2010 5:28 p.m.

Great article, most I read about length in games come off a"I'm being analytical so I can seem smart among my peers" which always ends with "Games are too long because their stories are stupid anyway so whats the point?" But you touched on exactly with my issue with length is. The length in Red Dead drags through the middle but I wish the last few missions never ended. But I don't think over two hours is a problem if your ambitious enough, look at Bayonetta, one minute your throwing trucks at a colossol baby face, and the next your bitch slapping a demon boat to keep it in line.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 24, 2010 5:27 p.m.

I tend to play 2 or 3 games on rotation, to avoid the inevitable 'burnout' that too many games nowadays have. Start off with Tenchu Z. Get frustrated? Put it down, pick up Borderlands. Too grind-y? Put it down, pick up Forza 3 for a while. Hit a brick wall? Back to Tenchu. When one game's done, swap a new one into the rotation. It works well. The 'right length' really depends on the genre as much as anything else. A 10-hour RPG is just as painful as a 100-hour FPS. Do what you need to do to tell the story, don't drag it out...but don't chintz out on the gamers, either. As one of those 'grown up gamers', I don't want the quality of games dumbed down for me. Don't make it so totally inconvenient that I can't play when I can [several hours between save points, for example], but don't cut corners or make it insultingly easy so that I can fit it into my schedule. Gaming is my primary hobby, I'll find a way to get through it, though it might take time.
  • Batman - August 24, 2010 5:24 p.m.

There's no such thing as a game that is too long. I will take a 50 hour game over some 8-10 hour game any day of the week. Why should I pay 59.99(+ tax lol) for some game I'm gonna beat in under 10 hours you would have to be a moron.
  • Dredgon - August 24, 2010 5:01 p.m.

I love long games, they make the purchase all the better. And DLC lengthens the games even more. RPG's are my favorites and I have poured a hundred plus hours total playing Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1 & 2, and Dragon Age! RPG's are supposed to be long, and time flies when you're playing them. You never feel like they are too short or too long, you basically make the length by choosing what missions/quests to do. I also don't like it when people are "bored" of a game after a few hours, they really have no idea how to balance different genres. Overall, I think 10-20 hours is good for a "standard" game like an FPS, and RPG's and open-world games take that to the next level with 50+ hours. I hope developers keep on doing what they are doing, and even though I don't have as much time as I used to, I always beat a game and usually try to get every achievement if I enjoy the game and it isn't tedious.
  • beemoh - August 24, 2010 4:47 p.m.

So long as there's a decent mix of both long and short games, I'm happy- I don't have the time to watch every single 26-episode, hour-long US drama epic, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them next to six-by-thirty British sitcoms and one-shot programmes.
  • oufour - August 24, 2010 4:34 p.m.

nope. the longer the better, get more bang for your buck.
  • 510BrotherPanda - August 24, 2010 3:26 p.m.

Good article, Houghty-T. You're right, it mostly depends on the individual. Something like Pokemon can really start to ddrag, but if you are in to the collection aspect, 300+ hours won't matter.
  • soccerclownking - August 24, 2010 3:06 p.m.

I've completed both GTA 4 and RDR to its entirety, and I tried to get 100% in Modern Warfare 2 but I gave up after I got to 92.7%
  • KishouTenpi - August 24, 2010 2:59 p.m.

for me it all depends on how engrossed in the game I get I can lose hours into the Persona games, yet when it comes to a shooter I can't be bothered to retry once... so for me it all depends on the game