• HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - January 7, 2011 6:52 p.m.

Fantastic article. Although Activision has all of that Blizzard WOW money coming in to keep it afloat in addition to Call of Duty funds. It is very sad seeing a talented developer like Raven being forced to slum it and pump out map packs for a game instead of making it's own game. Could be worse though, they could be getting shut down or put on a Bond game (same thing). Seems like Call of Duty or nothing for Activision's developers these days.
  • DLSemen - January 7, 2011 6:11 p.m.

Somewhere in LA, Dan Amrich is crying a little.
  • Sharkbot - January 7, 2011 6:10 p.m.

I hope they boot-up cross platform Halo with activision, i would love to smash fanboys on my PC.
  • burywhite - January 7, 2011 5:55 p.m.

Wow is so old, what has been six years now? It's old tech and roosterdip is totally correct, it will fall off eventually. Earlier I was just discussing running IP's into the ground with a friend. It's amazing how this article just popped up. Awesome commentary, I just hope someone important is listening over there at activision.
  • roosterdip - January 7, 2011 5:38 p.m.

its funny because just 4 or 5 years ago i was swearing off EA and now ATVI. As others have said and your article is on point, there is still time to do it right before it falls off the map. Personally I hope it falls off the map. I hope everything IW says is correct and they win their lawsuit. I can't stand this casual, pick up and play, style that a lot of games are moving toward [see killzone 3]. Now if EA could just learn to properly support their servers. remember also that, even with Cataclysm and other new upgrades, WoW is only on top due to lack of competition. You have to expact that someone is going to eventually take away some of that share. Maybe Elder Scrolls online will finally come out. maybe something else, who knows. it's only a matter of time.
  • Lionzest7 - January 7, 2011 5:27 p.m.

You're asking activision to stop its market philosphy. It's the same with anything that has happened in any part of human civilization. You're asking for them to stop making what they're good at and to start devoting attention to other titles. Any part of human history may suggest most large organizers, parties, countries, companies, are all too stubborn to adapt before their downfall. (Ford on his model T, Sears, Japan, etc etc) Activision knows their money franchise, they know how to get people pumping out the big bucks for call of duty rehash. At least for now, they will probably have to get knocked down a few notches before they figure out to switch it up. People still support this sequel machine, and it will continue to do well until people step back and realize it isn't a unique experience anymore. FPS is what they're good at, and I'd say at the moment all they're good at. Kotick and his buddies don't care about innovation, uniqueness, or style. They care about $$$, so this shortsightedness will continue until $$$ stops coming in. Honestly I hate CoD. I think it's pretty much a good franchise that turned into what eventual sequels turn into, more of the same. What makes CoD unique as an FPS anymore is beyond me, why anyone still buys a new title surprises me. My friend told me it was the setpieces and storyline that enticed him, but modern warfare 2, WaW, and Blops have all failed to grasp him. Needless to say he pirated all three of those titles. Name can only last so long, just like square enix is in trouble, activision may yet feel the burn of their confidence.
  • Woodsey - January 7, 2011 5:23 p.m.

@ GRDavid But Activision still has 70 % of it's profits coming from WoW, even Kotick's said that - even without Call of Duty they'd still be up there.
  • Spacegrass - January 7, 2011 5:21 p.m.

Bobby Kotick is a profoundly ugly man. Reading about how evil Activision is almost makes me feel bad about enjoying Black Ops as much as I do.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - January 7, 2011 5:06 p.m.

Pruman: That's true, but the Activision/Vivendi merger actually left Vivendi with the slight majority share, and aside from that, Activision and Blizzard as publishers remain separate entities and Blizzard itself still operates autonomously.
  • TruckThunders - January 7, 2011 5 p.m.

Had to comment just because of the main image for the article. LOL. Also, Activision would stop making COD games if people stopped buying them. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. Oh well
  • Pruman - January 7, 2011 4:56 p.m.

This article ignores a critical point - the company is named Activision BLIZZARD, and Blizzard runs a little MMORPG called World of Warcraft that has been a license to print obscene amounts of money since it came out. Assuming all of its 11 million subscribers are paying the $15 monthly fee, that is $165,000,000 that Activision earns EVERY MONTH, or damn near 2 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR, just by keeping the game running (even assuming it takes 50% of that revenue to do it, they are still making some sick bank). I think this more than anything explains the company's behavior. No matter what happens to their other games, they have WoW backstopping their idiocy. It's just like the Fed and the "too big to fail" banks - no matter how many foolish and short-sighted decisions they make, The Ben Bernank will always bail them out.
  • chukky N17 - January 7, 2011 4:55 p.m.

Not like EA is that perfect, but this is the road they too were headed down before they created "EA Partners". If Activision has any brains at all, they'd create this type of creative nurturing program for their said talented developers.
  • ChrissyBottle - January 7, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Great article Dave, i sincerely hope West and Zampella take Kotick and Friends to the cleaners in May.
  • makinmagic4 - January 7, 2011 4:47 p.m.

To me they need to get some new IP's which will sell like CoD. I've tried out nearly all of CoD games and to me they are all just competing against each other, especially the recent games. CoD:4 (Infinity Ward) = CoD:World At War (TreyArch) CoD:WAW (TreyArch) = CoD:Modern Warfare 2 (Infinity Ward) CoD:MW2 (Infinity Ward) = CoD:Black Ops (TreyArch) They're all "good" games however they seem to be trying to be better than the previous game which i can't blame them, however just adding a few game modes..etc basically is making the game similar to the previous game. There is about 7-8 Call Of Duty titles (which i can think of) and to me its getting like the Fifa's, just churn a game out each year. In future il look at purchasing COD titles but ive had my fair share of them now. The only good single player COD title (my opinion) was Call Of Duty 2. The only good multiplayer COD title (my opinion) was Call Of Duty 4.
  • Bloodstorm - January 7, 2011 4:34 p.m.

The solution: Somebody needs to take out Bobby Kotick!
  • Baron164 - January 7, 2011 4:32 p.m.

I grabbed COD4 a week or two after release, Modern Warfare 2 day one, World at War just this past summer. I still haven't gotten Black Ops. They have been putting less time into the Single Player and more of their time into the multiplayer which I don't play at all. And if Modern Warfare 3 is going to come out this year I may not get it because of Infinity Ward getting gutted. All though I'm sure I'm in the minority here. Pretty soon it'll just be a multiplayer only game and then I can just completely ignore it. Until then I'll wait till I can pick up Black Ups for $15 used somewhere.
  • Ryan1991 - January 7, 2011 4:28 p.m.

My biggest beef with Acti was the fact they never got behind Singularity. Such a fantastic game. Even if it did make me cack my pants.
  • kor2disturbed - January 7, 2011 4:24 p.m.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy the next call of duty game, anytime a new one comes out I'm there, but it is starting to wear out it's welcome. It's been the same thing since COD 4 which is why I think we need to get that future warfare project in motion. (: