Topics

high horse

• FauxFurry - November 25, 2011 11:50 a.m.

It is somewhat sad that the community on the official website of a game sold partly on it containing a big,purple floppy weaponized dildo and farts in a jar tends to be alot more mature than most other online communities that I've seen out there and even when they aren't particularly civil, they are venting their rage and disappointment at THQ and the site's staff when they aren't timely with their responses on bug reports and such. There ought to be more denouncements of this kind of behavior by the gaming media. Better yet, there were no insults towards another group of game enthusiasts based upon their console/OS of choice oh-so cleverly hidden away in any images or text (unless one must figure out "nengies algorithms" to find them as ReCaptcha is suggesting might be the case). Good on you,David!
  • Scoob - November 25, 2011 11:30 a.m.

This pissing contest has been going on since the 90s. Why do we notice it now? It's much easier to voice your opinion these days. Back then, you didn't have comment boards like this. If you wanted some online forums, you were setting up your news reader for Usenet and filtering through the many topics available. You wanted to do some instant messaging? ICQ was the ticket, or AIM if you were on AOL. It wasn't as easy to logging into Facebook and having all the people you know in a bar on the side of the screen. Writing this response makes me miss the internet of 10 years ago. I loved how inventive it was back then. The internet now is Facebook, and then everything else. Now I'm going off on a tangent here, so I'll just leave it at that.
  • Replica616 - November 25, 2011 11:18 a.m.

This is a massive, massive problem, although far from the only one. Stereotyping and ageism (both ways, but mainly downwards) are also big issues, the later of which I have seen this site doing. If someone is not being a good gamer or a good person you immediately presume their a kid? If someone's a kid you immediately presume they're not a good gamer/person? While it sometimes isn't (and sometimes is) to that level, it's still as flawed in logic as this. Regardless, this is a big issue, even with the gaming media, and one that needs to be but probably never will be sorted. Thankfully, there is the occasional pocket of just nice people, but this is way too rare, and sometimes merely a façade. Oh look, I'm rambling again.
  • LordZarlon - November 25, 2011 10:45 a.m.

I agree with this article but, to be honest, I have seen the gaming press do the exact thing too. Back during the PS1/N64 days I read, in many magazines, these kind of inconsiderate and contemptible comments all the time. Oh, the N64 version of NBA Live '99 was terrible, that's your fault for buying it on the crappy N64. You should of bought it on the PS1. I actually saw this in print in the major magazines of the day. No criticism toward EA for releasing a crappy port but plenty of criticism toward Nintendo for releasing a cartridge system in the era of CD. My point is that I think the gaming press should be mindful of their attitudes as much as the consumers.
  • ParanoidAndroid - November 25, 2011 10:35 a.m.

It's stuff like this that makes me feel sad to be a part of this community. I feel like an old black man in the films, witnessing black on black crime. Except, you know, without all the oppression, and struggling for rights.
  • croatianmaniac232 - November 25, 2011 10:33 a.m.

Damn straight.
  • CitizenWolfie - November 25, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Really good article David, well said. I must say I did feel sorry for all the PS3 Skyrim fans who have been waiting for ages to play the game only to have that huge bug mentioned last week show up after so many hours (as well as the countless other problems). But it reminded me of something that happened last year when (gaming consumer group) Gamers' Voice tried to address Activision regarding Black Ops being practically unplayable online on the PS3. They genuinely seemed to have good intentions but over on your sister site (CVG) nearly all the comments were full of hate and jumping to Activision's defence. These were the same people who, in the build up to the Black Ops launch, were saying how Activision are the harbingers of gaming's demise. It's why I don't really bother with CVG anymore. I'll admit to being a dick at times about some games, but as I'm getting older I find myself trying to ignore all the rabid fanboyism and just enjoy what I've bought with my hard earned money. I don't think the whole MW3/BF3 war has helped lately. I've never seen so much venom from both sides - not even since Mario/Sonic in the 90's. People giving the same argument over and over about how CoD is the same game every year while championing EA. Because EA would never release yearly instalments right? It's OK to enjoy both games you know... Thankfully GamesRadar seems to have a better/more mature community of members and writers so keep up the good work. TL:DR - Gamers of the world, UNITE!
  • garnsr - November 25, 2011 10:02 a.m.

I wonder how many problems with games that get released come from trying to program for both systems? Having to try to cram a game onto one DVD for one system, while they can easily do it on one BluRay on the other seems to lead to problems. But then they use the smaller capacity system as the lead, then don't do as good a job as they should figuring out how to do a good job converting to the more powerful system that's not as easy to work with. If we only had one system or the other I think we'd see fewer problems with the games, not just cut out fanboyism.
  • Ensoul - November 25, 2011 9:41 a.m.

I wonder though if it happens in other areas besides games though? I mean take cars. I know some people are die hard Ford supports; they only buy the ford brand and would never put anything but Ford parts on their vehicle. I wonder if they were laughing and taunting their Toyota friends during the recall?
  • bamb0o-stick - November 25, 2011 12:17 p.m.

I wouldn't doubt that happening for a second. Same applies to cell phone users, there are iPhone/Apple loyalists and then there's everyone else (Android, PC etc). Faceless consumers just like to antagonize each other.
  • dragonjim - November 25, 2011 9:36 a.m.

I agree totally with this article
  • bilstar - November 25, 2011 10:28 a.m.

Me too. +1
  • V22Dreamcast - November 25, 2011 11:16 a.m.

• Colenuck - November 25, 2011 9:12 a.m.

Ive been told to go die in a fire in cod, I've been called useless and an idiot in LoL...unfortunately this is the reality of online games, the anonymity of the Internet breeds dicks! What I'd like to know is, when I avoid a player on xbox live, why do I end up being matched up with him down the line? If being blackballed by someone meant you were never matched with him on a team or as an opponent, sooner or later, he wouldn't have anyone to play with!
  • SideOfBeef - November 25, 2011 9:04 a.m.

I feel like a dick for saying this, but this article has already been done countless times in every medium I can think of, for years. Aren't there other injustices to write about?
  • BladedFalcon - November 25, 2011 1:25 p.m.

Yet it's something that keeps happening on a daily basis in this medium. So unless it somehow changes or is improved, I'd say it's a problem worth noting and bringing attention to it. Besides, what exactly are those other injustices you're talking about? this site is usually very quick on pointing those out when they come out, be it from the gaming media itself, or from other associations like say, PETA. So what exactly do you feel they have neglected to write about?
  • SideOfBeef - November 28, 2011 1:25 p.m.

No, I don't think this is worth it. I don't think it's worth a comedy site repeating the same article that's been written by every other video game publication of the last decade. Hell, I think I've read this article on this very site at least twice. It's boring.
  • bamb0o-stick - November 25, 2011 8:59 a.m.

I couldn't agree more with this article. The sad part about this is that this sort of behavior isn't only limited to the gaming community. I really feel that the Internet communities as a whole are full of whiny, immature douche-bags. It just bums me out that so few people are actually helpful or even empathetic towards another person in need of it. My sympathy goes out to those people who couldn't play Skyrim and BF3 to its fullest.
  • ParagonT - November 25, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Good sh1t. Nothing really needs added. I will note that I have been a totally cock at times, but I am for community cohesiveness.
  • sgloomy - November 25, 2011 8:45 a.m.

awesome article, while we are at it though, can we also address hate mails after a game? they are just annoying. if you won, great. if you lost, NO ONE CARES. stop complaining and stop trying to be an online bully, to someone who might be like 10 years older than you ( or in the really sad cases, someone who is 10 years younger)