• johnconnor - March 10, 2012 11:29 a.m.

You talked about my mother. Yeah she was strong. But playing a female in mass effect. No thanks you... I don't think female can really be warrior sorry. They are weak, have female problems, and their emotion are random. In Mass effect 1 i played the worst human in the galaxy, the nightmare of both bad and good guys. Could the hero be a female ? Hell no. Am i sexist ? No. But everyone had a place in this world, and female have none in war, despite what feminists wants to make believe. And for the homosexual sex in the game, as it has been said, no gamers and nobody at all asked for it, except maybe the homosexual association dedicated to spread their sickness. Evil Shepard
  • essiy - March 10, 2012 9:27 p.m.

You've got to be kidding me. You can't be for real, I mean, nobody's this stupid... right? You say you're not sexist and yet you say that women can't fight in wars. It's people like you that drag the gaming community into this stereotype of being homophobic womanizers. I've met tons of strong women who could easily kick a man's ass. I know you're a troll and you probably touch yourself over the thought that SentientSquidMachine, kingsmikefan and I responded to your pathetic views. If you have such a problem with it, either don't play the damn game or ignore it. But please, for the sake of humanity shut your stupid mouth.
  • johnconnor - March 11, 2012 11:21 a.m.

I'm not touching anything, you and the others one are nobody lol. You certainly met strong women that could kick YOUR ass because you're weak and pathetic but that's not the case of all the other males on earth. Don't apply your handicap to everyone. You want me to shut up because i talked about the taboo of america. The homos here are like the sacred cows for india. Your worship their coolness lol. Thanks God i'm not american cause i could be like you, a big sheep barking at anybody saying that women are weak and homos disgusting.
  • pinoklin - March 11, 2012 2:49 p.m.

i´m not american either, and i can tell you sir, you must be retarded, i mean how can somebody be this stupid in the world?.... so mr homophobic, sexist dbag...please learn to respect women, they are definitely strong. i mean if a woman (your mom) was strong enough to take care of such a jerk like you, then sir you have rpoved the point that women are strong. btw, most ppl who hate on gays......have gay feelings inside of them, just sayin.
  • essiy - March 11, 2012 2:52 p.m.

I'm assuming this isn't directed towards me. You replied to my comment, but thank you for the support. Much appreciated. *Tips hat*.
  • johnconnor - March 12, 2012 12:14 p.m.

Learn the meaning of words moron. You call me stupid but you just throw words that you think are accurates. But are not. I'm not afraid of homos. I don't care about them as long as they don't invade my video games. I'm not sexist, i respect women, but i think they have a role as we have ours. You don't agree with me, i don't care stupid gay supporters. Only gays say that people who hate gays have gay feelings. But as the other moron that's what they taught you and you repeat it like a savant monkey lol. Why do you call me name, do you have absolutely no arguments ? It's not because i think outside YOUR box that i'm stupid. For me you're the retard who doesn't even understand the real meaning of words you use. It's always a real pleasure to talk with the mind controlled.
  • essiy - March 12, 2012 2:26 p.m.

*Accurate, not "accurates" So, who's the moron? Remind me. Obviously I don't agree with your pathetic one sides, bullshit views, I have a brain dumbass. I'd say the same, it's hilarious watching you squirm, the mind controlled are fun to watch, they usually like to think they're smarter, like watching a chimp eat it's shit and wonder why a human doesn't do the same thing. You don't respect women, that's obvious enough. I'm an English major, don't say I don't know the meaning of words when you can't spell. Looks like you're hiding your secret desires of me, please, if you must talk to me, have some decency or keep your boner in your pants.
  • Anderjak - March 11, 2012 3:01 a.m.

Uh, actually, you are sexist. And a failure at history, as there've been quite a number of really exemplary female warriors and fighters throughout history -- whose stories are rarely told because of people with your sort of mentality.
  • johnconnor - March 11, 2012 11:15 a.m.

Hmm... whose stories are rarely told... but you... you heard about them. Hmm ... of course. Interesting...(??) OK next fool !
  • essiy - March 11, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Oi, again, learn to spell and use grammar. No wonder you're this mentally deficient, you haven't received proper education have you? That explains your lack of historical knowledge. Have you ever heard of Joan of arc? How about the women that fought during the french revolution? No? I thought so. Read your books. You might learn something. And no, Barney books don't count. You can read those on your own time, like before bed time when Mommy and Daddy tuck you into bed. Never thought I'd sink so low as to say this, but: U MAD BRO?
  • johnconnor - March 12, 2012 12:19 p.m.

I have certainly heard of Jeanne d'arc more than you moron. JEANNE d'ARC, not Joan of arc stupid english speaker. And i knew that she was the only example you had because you've seen a movie on it. French revolution ? Tu veux parler de la révolution maçonnique non ? Je parle français donc je connais certainement mieux que toi ces 2 sujets, imbécile heureux. No i'm not mad et toi mongol ?
  • essiy - March 12, 2012 2:30 p.m.

Or possibly, think of it this way, I know thinking's hard, but try, you can do it. She's called Joan of Arc here, it's a translation dickwad. So you're french eh, and here I thought that the country that brought us such fine food could produce something a tad bit smarter than you. You are mad, both in the emotion and the mental state. Why do you bother even trying to compete with a smarter species?
  • SentientSquidMachine - March 10, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Currently playing through ME3 right now (btw F***ing amazing) and the experience is made all the more visceral with femshep. She makes "Sheppard" so much more of a badass. You're kidding yourself if you think that the voice doesn't make a difference. I played 10 hours with male Sheppard during ME1, so I have perspective. The default FemShep skin sucks though.
  • rainn'sgaydar - March 10, 2012 10:06 a.m.

Having not played the games outside of 10-ish hours of the first game, this is a compelling argument for me to play as FemShep when I pick up Mass Effect 2 sometime in the future. Fantastic article!
  • JamesRadar - March 10, 2012 10 a.m.

I like the default male Shepard since he's just rendered the best. I remember making my own Shepard in ME1 and he looked like he had acne scars all over his face. I've played default man ever since.
  • RedHarlow - March 10, 2012 9:16 a.m.

Better voice actor, that's what it comes down to for me. Mark Meer sounds bored, his emotional range isn't very large. Jennifer Hale just puts more emotion and feeling into her performance.
  • profile0000 - March 10, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Look, when Bioware makes a game that has customization options, but then puts their version of the custom character on the box, that seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. I wanted my person to look like the guy in the box-art, so I picked default.
  • Sinosaur - March 10, 2012 7:13 a.m.

When I started up Mass Effect for the first time, I decided instantly that I didn't really like the look of standard Shepard, and so I went into customization and realized... hey, I apparently can't make a male Shepard that doesn't look awful. So I went to the female side, got something decent and... well, now when people talk about Mass Effect, I don't think about 'baldish space marine,' I think of my first Shepard (who is, incidentally, the toughest, most inspirational, and nicest person in the galaxy). Part of why I've kept going with female Shepard is that I've established MY Shepard, and I really do prefer the voice actor. But more than that, it's nice to see a lead female character who is just plain badass and awesome without running around half naked or having giant bouncy tits. That's really not something I get from other games as much as I would like. This has also thrown a bit of a kink in my old habit in these games as playing male first, playing good first (cuz I always play good first), then next playthrough playing female and evil (or at least jerkish). So, yeah, whenever I see standard male Shep? I think about punching reporters and being an asshat to everyone.
  • Canvas_Of_Flesh - March 10, 2012 5:22 a.m.

Yeah, I'm usually fairly good at picking up subtext, and I would have to admit that most of what you're picking up on is projected by yourself. That's not subtext provided by the game, that's called "using your imagination". There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that playing a female character in the game provides a better experience because of something that may not exist from person to person. I play that default male Shepard. Not because I'm sexist or unimaginative. It's because in Mass Effect 1 I couldn't create a character that didn't look like a retarded orangutan. Since then, I've just stuck with him because he's my Jack Shephard.
  • crswaites - March 10, 2012 7:22 a.m.

Just because it isn't necessarily intentional (and I would disagree with that, considering how many times a game's script get revised, and how up-to-the-last-minute they can revise it, and how many times and different ways the game gets played during the QA and focus testing parts) doesn't mean it's not subtext.
  • firelegendmush - March 10, 2012 3:03 a.m.

I think living in a world in which there are either no female-only establishments or there are those for either gender and in which women can't sue a man for whatever they want because "he's a man and therefore evil and a pervert". It still isn't really something I look for in a game. What does living in a futuristic society in which there are no stereotypes or discrimination based on sex do to improve the story? It adds no meaning. It just serves to piss off fewer militant feminists. As an RPG, the character's gender should be what the creator of the character thinks it should be. Also, while I haven't played ME1, I don't see how Shep being female would change the subtext of the encounter with Sha'ira, as apparantly it was meant to seem like prostitution so there would be a power imbalance regardless. Could someone explain that to me?
  • brizzie - March 10, 2012 2:17 a.m.

To influence our world as we know it, FemShep is the better alternative. However for just playing the game there is no "best" way since each way to play is equally rewarding and punishing.
  • Theevenger - March 10, 2012 12:30 a.m.

Seriously? You made an Aliens reference but ignored Ripley? Also, if you're looking for strong females in SF...Honor Harrington much?