• shashank-duggi - August 8, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Funny how they had four years, no pressures and dead lines and yet decided not to add the cockpit view :\
  • GR_JustinTowell - August 8, 2012 12:11 p.m.

If memory serves, I believe they said 10-15% of all performance was being used up on a feature that barely anyone used. They're sad to lose it, you're sad to lose it, I'm sad to lose it... but it makes perfect sense. That kind of overhead is ludicrous to pursue if hardly anyone's using it!
  • Cmxavier - August 8, 2012 4:48 p.m.

I think they should check it again, at least all the racing gamers i know uses the cockpit view. Or maybe it's because i like sim more.
  • ThatGamerDude - August 8, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Yes, it begins...
  • FauxFurry - August 8, 2012 8:44 p.m.

I always wondered what became of the A through W,Y and Z Boxes. The D-Box was being saved for the racing game revolution. Rather than pushing for photo-realism to spur innovation,developers should try to find uses for every other one of the alphabet boxes.
  • AuthorityFigure - August 9, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Great Racing Is Demonstrated
  • ObviouslyCheesy - August 9, 2012 5:50 a.m.

No cockpit view? That's pure sacrilege in my book. You people at Codemasters aren't making some open world game in which just part of the game is revolved around driving. Your whole game is revolved around driving and making that the most engaging thing there is. Part of this is the inclusion of a cockpit view of some sorts. It may not be used in multiplayer a lot but in singleplayer I can almost guarantee it's a more different story. I feel as though this is the beginning of the end with just about every developer dropping basic features that were present in their previous games/installments. Some of those basic things may not be ''must haves'' but they do give games more variety, immersion and thus more appeal and depth. Games aren't just about the ''must haves''. Those only make the game good. It's about the inclusion of ''should haves'' combined with the ''must haves'' that make games exceptional.
  • Bobby Ewing - August 9, 2012 5:59 a.m.

Are we talking driver eye view or cockpit view here because those two are different things in my world, driver eye view is what is also called helmet cam view where u see the helmet and the visor and so on, and cockpit view is where u see the cockpit with the steering wheel and the hands and so on. Because if they decide to have just the chasing and bonnet view they can't call grid 2 a racing game because if they only has this two arcade game views the game will be totally destroyed compare to the first Grid and all other serious racing games. Codemasters are on deep water with this game if they decide to take a shortcut and leave out cockpit view,because leaving it out because of performance issue is BS, Codemasters have been a bit "lazy" with some features in racing games lately, stuff in F1 series like brake bias change from in car has not been implemented and they gave not released patches even though they messed up F1 2011 with the first patch and so on. Releasing Grid 2 without a proper racing view, that is cockpit view, is to take the first step to kill the Grid series ....over and out from Sweden
  • Jasway - August 9, 2012 7:55 a.m.

I think it's fantastic that they dropped cockpit wiew.. It's completely retarded to add a cockpit, and heres why: Our brain is used to muting out stuff including the cockpit of a car and the stem between the windows.. Our brains have no problem muting out our nose which covers around 30% of our FOV.. So if want "simulation'n'stuff" u might as well add the nose, and the FOV of the helmet... Throw in some greasy windows and the game is now completely ruined....
  • nigel-thornberry - August 9, 2012 6:06 a.m.

So justin, how American is this game from what i read and have seen in the trailer it all seems Based in America apart from the Yas Marina track also American cars what happend to the good old day of Toca when you had like 8 aussie tracks and a ton of european mixed with american tracks.
  • Patcha - August 9, 2012 6:27 a.m.

Strange... only 5% uses cockpit view? So them all are moaning, seeing how much people (me included) moaning for that missing! So you wanna save cars interiors to save calculations weight (surely consoles fault!)... so we'll have cars with dark/mirrored windows? And this is what you mean for doing stuffs properly? We'll drive "toy cars looking like" stuffs, and this is making stuffs properly? Bah... better you start developing cockpits for next patch, from now...
  • into the sound - August 9, 2012 7:33 a.m.

now i'm interested. i haven't picked up a racing game since Burnout Revenge & Gran Turismo 4
  • Cmxavier - August 9, 2012 8:36 a.m.

Sorry but i still can't believe the exclusion of the this kind of view, every time i think of it the Daytona song rings in my head. And don't get me wrong, i enjoy games like Toca 3 but we are not in 2006 anymore and even in those days a realistic cockpit view was possible. I agree with Bobby Ewing, it's "lazy" and also, a shame.
  • A9entOfChaos - August 9, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Justin Towell, please quit licking these guys balls. You come off as slobbering ball licking fool. No helmet Cam. Arcade racing (not simulated) are no no's for me. Forza 4 is the most important (and best racing game this generation). From what i have read this game will not even hold a candle to Forza's greatness. Or hell even GT 5's greatness.
  • Bobby Ewing - August 9, 2012 1:44 p.m.

Amen brother,Amen.....
  • boondocks50 - August 10, 2012 5:16 a.m.

Maybe no one USED the cock pit view back when Grid was in the spotlight 3 years ago but nowadays i dont know many people that dont use the cockpit view in racing games like Dirt, Forza, GT and NFS shift. Ive gotten so used it that if i try to play i third person view i suck. I hope they add it, even if its dlc.
  • vorazan - August 10, 2012 9:12 a.m.

Is there any sort of customization, beyond liveries? Performance, etc?
  • vorazan - August 10, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Also I used cockpit mode in every game it was available in, GRID included. GRID cockpit was awesome... and everyone I know that played GRID used it... so I don't know where they got this 95% number from.
  • Zero.G - August 10, 2012 2:19 p.m.

No cockpit view = FAIL. I had high hopes for this, but it is 100% no buy if I cannot race first person.
  • jedisamurai - August 10, 2012 8:40 p.m.

Why does it seem like the 5% is enjoying it's chance to complain right here right now? I've played more racing games than anyone I know, and I never really had a use for helmet or cockpit cam, because I mostly just found the interior distracting. I only ever used chase view and the view with nothing but the road and HUD gauges. Gird was one of the greatest racing games ever and certainly one of the most influential. Every game since including your over-rated Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 4 has been ripping off its features ever since it came out. And now the TRUE innovator is coming back. You go ahead an play your fancy-pants sims and turn your nose up. Meanwhile I'll play Grid 2 from the day it comes out, enjoy what will probably be the greatest racing game ever made! :D