• ObviouslyCheesy - August 9, 2012 5:50 a.m.

No cockpit view? That's pure sacrilege in my book. You people at Codemasters aren't making some open world game in which just part of the game is revolved around driving. Your whole game is revolved around driving and making that the most engaging thing there is. Part of this is the inclusion of a cockpit view of some sorts. It may not be used in multiplayer a lot but in singleplayer I can almost guarantee it's a more different story. I feel as though this is the beginning of the end with just about every developer dropping basic features that were present in their previous games/installments. Some of those basic things may not be ''must haves'' but they do give games more variety, immersion and thus more appeal and depth. Games aren't just about the ''must haves''. Those only make the game good. It's about the inclusion of ''should haves'' combined with the ''must haves'' that make games exceptional.
  • AuthorityFigure - August 9, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Great Racing Is Demonstrated
  • FauxFurry - August 8, 2012 8:44 p.m.

I always wondered what became of the A through W,Y and Z Boxes. The D-Box was being saved for the racing game revolution. Rather than pushing for photo-realism to spur innovation,developers should try to find uses for every other one of the alphabet boxes.
  • ThatGamerDude - August 8, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Yes, it begins...
  • shashank-duggi - August 8, 2012 10:27 a.m.

Funny how they had four years, no pressures and dead lines and yet decided not to add the cockpit view :\
  • GR_JustinTowell - August 8, 2012 12:11 p.m.

If memory serves, I believe they said 10-15% of all performance was being used up on a feature that barely anyone used. They're sad to lose it, you're sad to lose it, I'm sad to lose it... but it makes perfect sense. That kind of overhead is ludicrous to pursue if hardly anyone's using it!
  • Cmxavier - August 8, 2012 4:48 p.m.

I think they should check it again, at least all the racing gamers i know uses the cockpit view. Or maybe it's because i like sim more.
  • jackon680 - August 8, 2012 10:25 a.m.

It sucks that there's no cockpit cam, i really liked it. it made the game feel more realistic than it already was.
  • MidianGTX - August 8, 2012 10:07 a.m.

I like numbers. How many cars/tracks are we getting?
  • LSZ - August 8, 2012 9:46 a.m.

My Driving Force GT wheel has been gathering some dust since lately since I haven't gone back to GT5 in a while. This is the game that will pull me back in. I want.
  • RareHero - August 8, 2012 8:14 a.m.

Justin, how would you compare the physics in Grid 2 to the first game's? My biggest problem with the early Ego engine was that the cars felt very disconnected from the road surface, almost as if they were pivoting on some sort of central axis. Realism aside, it just didn't feel natural. Codemasters has come a long way and I think they addressed that with the recent Dirt titles and F1, but it's been a long time since we've seen any sports car racing from them. I have to be honest, I am pretty dissappointed about the lack of interior cam, but the loss won't be too great as long as Codies gets the bumper and chase cams perfect. No shaking, no drama, make it simple and static, so it doesn't interfere with my driving. Don't pull the chase cam too far away from the back of the car. Then I won't mind. Aside from that, I am very excited for Grid 2. The market for this sort of racing game is shrinking: Turn 10 is playing it safe every two years and refusing to innovate, while Kaz lost his mind somewhere between the release of Tourist Trophy and GT PSP. Grid 2 needs to be brilliant.
  • GR_JustinTowell - August 8, 2012 9:08 a.m.

The first game's physics were a bit too unrealistic for my liking. You could throw the cars into crazy corners and they would make a fuss but usually stick. Here, they're just as fun to drive and easy to get into a powerslide, but in a more natural-feeling way. And I skidded off into the wall at Chicago by playing like I would have in the original. That said, the California demo is very, very realistic. Helped by the wheel and pedals set-up of course, but the feeling of having actual tyres underneath you and of teetering on the edge of control is sublime. You'll love it, don't worry :)
  • ObviouslyCheesy - August 9, 2012 5:20 a.m.

It's like I'm reading back part of a comment I made on another website. It's the part about the cars pivoting on some sort of central axis. This seems to be a typical Codemasters thing. You get used to it after a while but it's still weird looking. In games like even GTAIV the handling of cars feels a lot more lifelike.
  • FoxdenRacing - August 8, 2012 7:56 a.m.

Looks beautiful, and hopefully revitalizes the concept of the 'arcade racer'. I just hope it doesn't have one of those forsaken "online passes"; stunts like that are a dealbreaker for me. I am not a criminal, and I refuse to be treated like one as a paying customer.
  • webbiker - August 8, 2012 6:34 a.m.

Now make a motorcycle game with similar ingredients. Current gen has zero decent ones.
  • bass88 - August 8, 2012 4:39 a.m.

Very excited for this. Just curious Mr. Towell, did they mention that the PS3 version would be technically identical to the XBox360 version or is it still too early to say anything about that?
  • GR_JustinTowell - August 8, 2012 8:49 a.m.

They sure did - because I asked them! Check out http://bit.ly/QfkBbk
  • bass88 - August 8, 2012 10:21 a.m.

Cheers. After reading it alarm bells are ringing in my head. I think PS3 owners are getting sidelined again. Hope I'm wrong though.
  • GR_JustinTowell - August 8, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Really? I would expect AA to take a slight hit, but that's unfounded conjecture, just what usually happens with multiplat. I honestly couldn't say... though they didn't look at all worried when I asked them. Fingers crossed - my wireless Xbox wheel's playing up again and I'd love a decent PS3 racer for my Logitech GT Driving Force wheel :D