Topics

Great Debate

• BladedFalcon - August 30, 2012 5:05 p.m.

Tom Magrino really does look like Bradley Cooper, specially in that picture XD
  • Imgema - August 30, 2012 5:03 p.m.

Backwards compatibility for me. In fact, lately it has become even more important than it ever was. The reason is obviously the more fragile consoles. What will happen to someone's collection of 360 games when his console dies? Because it will eventually die and pretty soon i might add. Modern consoles are not like our old cartridge based ones that last for decades. Knowing that your collection of games will always be functional is great. I also support re-releases. I prefer these over the HD remakes because they are the same games like before, but you can play them on a new machine. Not that i don't like HD remakes. I enjoyed Earthworm Jim HD and Perfect Dark HD. I love Shadow of Colossus HD. But if i had to choose one i would rather choose Backwards compatibility.
  • Divine Paladin - August 30, 2012 4:54 p.m.

I feel like both debaters had pretty cocky/condescending standpoints. That being said, I think the real answer is both.
  • Shinn - August 30, 2012 4:46 p.m.

I spend thousands of dollars on games each generation, I'd like to be able to use them in the future. I supported the devs, it'd be nice if they could support me. At least for a while.
  • zombi3grim - August 30, 2012 5:03 p.m.

You can. Dont throw away your old console. Simple
  • Shinn - August 31, 2012 4:02 a.m.

I don't have any monitors with rca or scart inputs, and I don't own a television.
  • J-Fid - August 30, 2012 4:08 p.m.

An almost dead even vote only proves my point. We need both. I have plenty of Gamecube games that I still love to play. Rather than dig up my old Gamecube, I can just play them on the Wii. Of coarse, there are some games I missed the first time around and I can't find them anywhere (F-Zero GX where are you?). Bring these games back if only to give those another chance at buying it. Also, it can give old games new life. It may not be the most economical move, but oh well to that.
  • shawksta - August 30, 2012 3:37 p.m.

Good arguments but the feelings still mutual, atleast to me it is. Backwards Compatibility, HD remakes, Virtual Console, PS1 Classics, there all great ways to revisit old games.
  • BaraChat - August 30, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Like the girl in the Old El Paso commercial : "Why don't we have both?". I dislike the fact that modern consoles mostly don't have BC (my PS3 is old so it does, but by 360 doesn't and my Wii obviously has it). From a business standpoint it's easy to understand why they would prefer HD remakes instead of having gamers roam ebay for past gems. And I don't hate HD remakes, because I was able to try for very small prices, if not for free, some older games I had never played. In short, your first sentence was really spot-on : they should happily coexist.
  • Nifheilm - August 30, 2012 3:35 p.m.

i disagree on the point of HDTV penetration. Because you are assuming that games have a 100% penetration and therefore, just 25% HDTVs represent a minority. I would have no problem betting that the % of households with videogame consoles and the % that has HDTV, are pretty much the same.
  • GR_TomMagrino - August 30, 2012 4:02 p.m.

Spoken like a true 25 percenter.
  • Cyberninja - August 30, 2012 7:45 p.m.

Actually that isn't close to true, I still have an old T.V. from the 90's because it works so I keep it, and I play all my games on it including my ps3 games. I also have friends without HDTV's either.
  • ParagonT - August 30, 2012 3:11 p.m.

HDTV penetration is my favorite word of the day.
  • ABACADA6494 - August 30, 2012 3:29 p.m.

I just had to cover my mouth to stop myself from literally laughing out loud at that comment. I had a strange image in my head from that...
  • aireen-jah - November 26, 2012 1:32 p.m.

hahaha omg dirty mind