Topics

Great Debate

• Gabezilla84 - August 30, 2012 10:16 p.m.

This is kind of a tough one for me, because I feel like I contradict myself in this argument. I like to consider myself a video game purist and would rather play games as they were originally presented, (NES Contra is still pure goodness) but that doesn't mean I'm opposed to the HD remake. It's like the Star Wars argument, because while I prefer the original, untouched special editions pre-"Greedo shooting at Han first," I'm still fine with both. I think there's room for both to be honest, because I'm a guy who still likes to break out the old PS1 games, or Sonic's Genesis Collection, from time to time and still have fun. I also like to hook up the N64 and play Perfect Dark still, but the HD remake on X-Box Live Arcade looks and plays fantastic. I just don't like to get rid of the past. I'll probably get the Halo Anniversary someday, but that doesn't mean I'll get rid of my old X-Box copy. It comes down to sentimentality. I guess what it boils down to is that I would like to have access to both, but still prefer backwards compatibility. I still buy older games, after all. I like to have my cake and eat it too. Bravo to both Tom and Hollander for presenting great and compelling arguments! I enjoyed this article very much. Keep up the good work!
  • Chronicus_Pr1me - August 30, 2012 9:40 p.m.

HD remakes are my choice as well. Hooking up my old PS2 on my HDTV makes last gen games look very blurry. Also, I buy them for one reason: Trophy/Achievement support. The current gen has gotten me so accustomed to unlocking these digital acknowledgements that I can no longer enjoy games with out them. It just seems like a waste of time if they aren't included or aren't helping me build up my gamerscore. Also, I never got to experience some of the gems last gen had because my tastes in games have changed. So it's nice to go back and play the ones i never did (MGS,DMC)but also know that i'm improving the outcome of my gamerscore.
  • Chronicus_Pr1me - August 30, 2012 9:43 p.m.

On the other hand, if the next generation of consoles have backward compatibility as well as trophy achievement support, I'm game. Especially since the HDTV support will be a non-issue.
  • larkan - August 30, 2012 8:56 p.m.

Most HD remakes are garbage, they simply upscale the resolution on the characters and call it a day. Very few companies go the extra mile to make them feel worth picking up, but Konami has done a great job with the MGS series. Capcom definitely sucks the proverbial dick on the other end of that spectrum though, the RE 4 and Code Veronica remakes were terrible. And let's not get into the DMC HD set, that was god awful.
  • FierceVoltage - August 30, 2012 8:53 p.m.

I voted for Tom, not because I think HD remakes are bad, but I'd rather have backwards compatibility in order to play ALL old games as opposed to a select few that get an HD update. If both could co-exist that would be great, but it seems Holland is set on only HD remakes surviving. So I voted for Tom.
  • garnsr - August 30, 2012 8:41 p.m.

How many people have an original Xbox that still works? Going back even farther into disc-based systems you get fewer systems that still work, unlike cartridge-based systems that can still play your games (after you blow into them.) So even if you have the original games there's a good chance that your old system isn't working anymore. The argument that comparing your Gamerscore with other people in a biggest dick contest is the only reason for getting Achievements or trophies is crazy. As Coop said, getting something in return for collecting hundreds of pointless things is incentive, and they give you the chance to play the game in ways that you wouldn't if they didn't have a description telling you about a different way of doing things. Replaying HD versions that give you something new is great fun. If I'm paying for a new game on a current-gen system I'd rather have an HD version than a port, though. Sony taking away BC then releasing the same-old PS2 versions for download is a little annoying, but I guess it's better than nothing for people who haven't played the PS2 games that aren't getting HD versions.
  • CurryIsGood - August 30, 2012 7:12 p.m.

I like buying 3 ps2 games at once
  • talleyXIV - August 30, 2012 6:50 p.m.

HD remakes are mostly money grubbing. Case and point, Resident Evil 4... that game needed no makeover at all as it still looks fine, yet they sold it for $20. When in all reality you could pick up a real copy for like $5-15. By the way: trophies and achievements are silly things that mean nothing. If people really need those as incentive to play a great game, they are shallow assholes.
  • brickman409 - August 30, 2012 7:25 p.m.

some times that's not always the case, pikmin 2 for gamecube costs about $40 for an opened/used copy. Nintendo re released it not to long ago for wii for half that, only $20 with widescreen support and updated controls.
  • garnsr - August 30, 2012 8:48 p.m.

You mean "case in point." You can't pick up a better looking version of the game for $5-15, though the pricing of new, downloadable versions of games is a little wacky.
  • ObliqueZombie - August 30, 2012 6:41 p.m.

I'll side with Hollander: I want HD remakes. I'm not necessarily a graphics whore--it doesn't make or break a game for me--but truly beautiful games are something I admire for my entire play-through; same goes for truly AWFUL looking games. Mainly, it gives me an opportunity to play games I may have missed in the past (read as: a lot more than I ever realized) without them looking like mud was smeared all over the screen. BUT. I think backwards compatibility is something of a must, for those who HAVE the game. It's horseshit to not be able to play old games, but as Hollander said, just don't get rid of your console. You'll get shit money for it anyway.
  • Imgema - August 30, 2012 10:01 p.m.

Even if you keep your old console you don't know how long it will be operational. And with consoles being more and more fragile as they become more powerful and shitty build quality being more and more common, the only thing that's left for you so you can play your old games is backwards compatibility. Sure you can still buy a used console from places like e-bay but you never know how pricy they will be or how good their condition is, etc. And i bet that working 360 consoles will probably become rare very fast after Microsoft stops producing them and they will cost as much as buying a next-gen console or more.
  • nintendo365 - August 30, 2012 6:21 p.m.

WHO THE FUCK WOULD PAY EXTRA??? The only HD remake I bought was for Perfect Dark, and thats just because I wanted to play online. I still break out the N64 and play PD, Goldeneye and even Donkey Kong 64! Why would you ever buy something just for better graphics. For all that Id just get a fucking rom.....
  • RonnyLive19881 - August 30, 2012 6:04 p.m.

Why why why would ANYONE support spending more money on recent games you already have?! WHY? Backwards capability is a must. Nintendo sees it. Their hand held units have always been able to play the generation directly beneath them's games and it looks like they are starting to do it with their consoles(Wii plays Gamecube games, Wii U will play Wii... come to think of it the older systems even had attachments released to play older games on, even handheld games). This way you can keep the games from your old console. For the new generation of gamers out there they bring games from their older generations to the Virtual Console, also works for the people that don't feel the need to collect all of their older hardware and would like it all on one system. It is genius Imo.
  • Fox_Mulder - August 30, 2012 5:42 p.m.

Haven't read yet, but for someone like me who sadly missed out on the great days of the PS2, HD remakes are the only way for me to play the classics. I could buy an old PS2 and track down the games I want to play on eBay, but that's too much trouble. I may save more money, but whatever. Also, the games bundled and in HD is nice too.
  • FierceVoltage - August 30, 2012 8:44 p.m.

How'd you miss on the days of PS2? I'm 17 and I played PS2 for years, you must be really young if 360 and PS3 were the first systems you played.
  • zombi3grim - August 30, 2012 5:20 p.m.

I voted for Cooper (again) because the way I see it, you can play your old games on your old consoles. The HDTV argument is a very valid point and its one I didnt really see Tom have a comeback for. I loved the backward compatability with the PS2, but again, that was before HDTV's went mainstream. Now, we need updated resolution and older games just dont have that. BTW, Tom, yes alot of people very much still like achievments and trophies. Its the main reason my wife games for one. For two, its not about the gamerscore itself, so much as just getting all the achievments or doing something in a game you wouldnt normally do just to get an achievment. Which does bring me to a great idea for the next debate. Do achievments and trophies matter anymore? To me and my wife, we love getting them, but I would be interested to see the other viewpoint and arguments with this.
  • bamit11 - August 30, 2012 5:40 p.m.

One thing about keeping your old console, is that a lot of times, they stop working. My Gamecube stopped working, and if I didn't have a Wii, I would never be able to play the Gamecube games again, unless I bought a new Gamecube or if they released HD remakes for all of my games. Also, I do love getting Achievements, but I don't want to pay an extra 10 or 20 dollars to do it.
  • StrayGator - August 30, 2012 5:15 p.m.

HDTV has 25% worldwide penetration. That includes US \ West EU \ Japan, sure, but also China (where consoles are more or less outlawed), Brazil (Where the Sega Genesis still reigns supreme), and who-knows-how many countries where HDTVs are luxury items. Hell, I live in israel and I don't even have a TV (HD or otherwise). My PS3 is hooked to my PC monitor. As for the debate: 1. PCs sort of have both out of the gate. Old games can always be run either natively or within virtual environments (DOSbox, etc.), when most games willl scale up nicely. 2. From a purely selfish standpoint, I'm all for HD remakes - Simply because I don't have a last-gen console, or 5th-gen, or whatever. I had a Famiclone as a child, and now a PS3. C'est Tout. With Remakes / "PS Classics" I can experience the Clanks, Colossuses and FinerFantasiez without attaching another (admittedly cheap)box to the TV I don't even have.
  • Scuffles - August 30, 2012 5:14 p.m.

What it is going to come down to is Money. What are they going to make more money off, Having a console that is backwards compatible, thus launching with an existing library of games and easing the transition for those with older consoles. or Having a console that isn't backwards compatible and reselling you the same game they sold you 4 years ago with some upscaled graphics and lame trophies. Spending time and resources on a new game or assigning a skeleton crew to polish an old game? Unless of course you are Konami then you do both because you lost your original game code but feel the need to milk that zombie horse.