• Kijib - May 7, 2014 2:56 p.m.

I'm afraid to invest in any one RPG in fear that it will make me sick of playing any other RPG ever again, like I wanna play the Tales of series and Persona 3 and 4 but it's so much investment!!
  • winner2 - May 7, 2014 3:44 p.m.

Play Persona 4. By the time you're done with it you won't care that you spent so much to get it.
  • Kijib - May 7, 2014 6:01 p.m.

i have to play 3 first
  • Child Of Death - May 7, 2014 2:11 p.m.

Sports games should never be defended. Same game every year and is nothing compared to the true gaming experiences.
  • ZeroZmm - May 7, 2014 5:26 p.m.

And I like how the article says they are some of the most polished games out there. God damn..after 30 games in a row I would hope that at least there's some polish..
  • pl4y4h - May 7, 2014 1:43 p.m.

Sports games and racing sims bore me to tears. I don't want to know how to control a realistic car, I want to slam, crash, boost, drift, draft, and jam my way to a finish line lined with explosions and/or cop car wreckage
  • GoldenEagle1476 - May 7, 2014 12:37 p.m.

As someone who hates fighting games but is a huge chess nerd, it kind of offends me that the two were used in comparison.
  • Cyberninja - May 7, 2014 1:23 p.m.

I enjoy both and the fighting games = chess is pretty accurate. both have very simple intros and are very deep in the end
  • Child Of Death - May 7, 2014 2:12 p.m.

And you have to constantly anticipate your enemies moves in both
  • GoldenEagle1476 - May 8, 2014 3:21 p.m.

This I understand, and being able to read your opponent makes sense. However, I do feel there's a difference in having to memorize dozens of different combos for multiple characters, than knowing good strategic tactics. I think this comparison would have been better for RTSs or MOBAs.
  • michael-lumsden - May 7, 2014 12:33 p.m.

What about RTS? Ahh i bet no body in the world dislikes RTS
  • Child Of Death - May 7, 2014 2:06 p.m.

I dislike them but I know why people like them
  • MidianGTX - May 7, 2014 12:26 p.m.

I loathe MMOs, and I've probably put around 300 hours into them at least. Never again, not until somebody shakes the genre up and adds something new, and I mean ACTUALLY shakes it up.
  • winner2 - May 7, 2014 12:14 p.m.

MOBAS, racing, and sports games, I'll never understand them. I don't play most competitive games, and games so focused on realism bore the shit out of me.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - May 7, 2014 12:09 p.m.

NITPICK: Its Metal Gear Solid 4 where you can camo next to statues, not MGS5 :-) Good read.
  • BladedFalcon - May 7, 2014 11:43 a.m.

I have zero interest in genres like Racing, Sports, MMOs and MOBAs. But it's not really hate, at most I'm just annoyed when they take the spotlight over other things I'd prefer, but I understand why they exist and why they are popular, they just simply don't appeal to me. And the reasons why aren't irrational either. I've never been interested nor found the appeal in racing or most sports games, furthermore, I like games for their escapism value, to be able to do or see things I can't do/see in real life, so the appeal of simulations or racing and sports games attempting more and more to look and feel more like the real thing is lost on me. Lastly... Both of these genres almost never have memorable characters or story, things that are often what drives me to play or finish a game... So they really have nothing that would appeal to me, so even if they are well done, smart games in their own right, they are that in things that I couldn't find any more boring to my tastes. As for MMOs and MOBAs, the same aspect of lack of a narrative applies. And yes, I know there ARE characters and flavor text and world building, but never as focused as it is in single player games. But most importantly, by their nature, both genres are necessarily multiplayer only affairs, and that also does not appeal to me in the slightest. So yeah, there's plenty of genres I dislike, but there's always a good reason behind it, and I always avoid heaping hate or talking shit about specific games in those genres because I simply don't care about them, or haven't even played them.
  • Vonter - May 7, 2014 12:03 p.m.

I'm with you there, although for different reasons. I usually associate simulation as an excuse to limit the types of things that can be done in a game. Also sports games copy pasted each year and will be that until EA isn't the only developer with the rights of names and teams, so there is little incentive to try a game that hasn't changed significantly. MMOs and MOBAs take too much time, if those were more accessible when I was a kid I maybe will still play them now, but just knowing the time it takes to progress and in some cases the lack of closure those games have is unappealing to me. A game doesn't need a story to be good, but I think a good premise or goal it's always a good hook to jump into a new gaming world.
  • BladedFalcon - May 7, 2014 12:09 p.m.

I never said a game needed a story to be good, but it definitely is something I look for in a game. Even then, like you said if it offers a interesting new mechanic or way to play, I'll give it a shot, though again, with no plot or end game objective, I usually end up being bored of such games fairly soon.
  • Vonter - May 7, 2014 2:08 p.m.

"Both of these genres almost never have memorable characters or story, things that are often what drives me to play or finish a game... So they really have nothing that would appeal to me." I just thought that's what you mean with this statement. But yeah, games that just keep going without an end goal are harder to get into for me and simulation games and MMOs usually not have end goals or takes a LOT of time to get to those. I suppose the Mario Sports titles appeal most be the both because of having Nintendo characters and also because they have mechanics that are rarely done better in other non simulation sport games.
  • MidianGTX - May 7, 2014 12:28 p.m.

With respect, and in regards to racing games, it's the fact they're close to real life that makes the escapism that much more valuable to me. I'd absolutely love the chance to drive expensive cars at breakneck speeds in different locales around the world, but I can't. If the games were too stylized then it wouldn't be catering to that specific craving of mine.
  • BladedFalcon - May 7, 2014 1:02 p.m.

That's perfectly fine and understandable ^^ Like you said, you have that craving, and that passion, and i don't. In this case neither of us is wrong, it's simply a difference in tastes (:
  • Vonter - May 7, 2014 2:03 p.m.

Yeah I think there's added value when you know about the subject, I mean I'm not into sports, or racing or the like. For me it's more about going all out when making a videogame. I think the last "realistic" racing game I gave a chance to was Split Second because of how ludicrous it was, same before with Burnout and it's exaggerated crashes. As a person not into the real sports events I don't find appealing something that tries to be the game variant of that.