• lovinmyps3 - August 12, 2009 11:38 p.m.

Nice article Brett! I enjoy VGM and this article brought back some memories.
  • somthing42 - August 13, 2009 2:02 a.m.

ooooooohhhhh someone beat me to it.
  • Hobojedi - August 13, 2009 2:16 a.m.

The pic for Doom 2 isn't from Doom 2, it's from the Ultimate Doom (ie Doom 1).. not to be picky or anything, just pointing that out. :}
  • Queepo50001 - August 13, 2009 5:19 a.m.

FF does have a few recurring themes (Battle of the Big Bridge). DQ normally has amazing but anemic soundtracks that are padded down by songs from earlier games. One thing that's cool is that the orchestra versions of the FF music has some micro-shoutouts to DQ's. For instance, the main theme of Final Fantasy actually has the (daaa) da-da-da-da da daaa from the Dragon Quest theme in the backgrround, and FF4's Theme of Love, in the 20020220 recording at least (I don't know about the others) actually has the opening notes of DQ5's theme of love in the background at about 3:45. And DQ4's soundtrack, though amazing, rips off two well known Christmas jingles in its town and Balloon themes. WTF?
  • waynski1457 - August 13, 2009 6:13 a.m.

Learn something new every day. I didn't know about the Myth egg in Halo 3 (the same egg is in Halo 1 though). Awesome article.
  • TheNinja - August 13, 2009 4:04 p.m.

i am 37th to care
  • Fizzmonkey - August 13, 2009 6:52 p.m.

me and my friend were messing around and found the easter egg on halo(too bad we weren't the first)
  • MechGyver - August 13, 2009 10 p.m.

@hazent I own your sweet ass.
  • IIIIIACEIIIII - August 13, 2009 11:52 p.m.

You forgot one, the Great Fairy music in LoZ and the map music for world 3 in SMB 3.
  • FinalGamer - August 14, 2009 1:16 a.m.

Quite a few surprised me, but I know an odd leap of music. The Caves theme in Pokemon Snap is a remix of The Goddess Appears, the fairy's theme from Zelda: Link to the Past.
  • TedDidlio - August 14, 2009 7:50 a.m.

Fantastic Article Beebop. The Halo thing seems a little more like an easter egg than ripping itself off, but that could be just me.
  • kingWIIthe3d - August 14, 2009 9:31 a.m.

the race/challenge music from mario 64/ocarina of time/ majora's mask is the same. the penguin race(mario galaxy, the mountaain with the penguins and the house), the races on epona(both majora's and ocarina's) are the same. it's just fan service probably
  • revenge - August 14, 2009 11:18 p.m.

i could have sworn to have heard totaka's song in luigi's mansion, i wish i rembered where
  • ieatchocolate - August 16, 2009 6:06 p.m.

Phoenix Wright... come on!
  • Nintendroid426 - August 17, 2009 2:07 a.m.

totaka's song seems really interesting topic for wii/DS owners.
  • AntistaFartedOnMyMom - August 17, 2009 1:55 p.m.

Loved this article. FFIV fan and Mario RPG are my number 2 and 3 rpgs, and loved that song. Just wondering though where the fuck do you find your soundtracks? That stack is crazy.
  • PivotPlurals1 - September 27, 2009 5:41 p.m.

In Link's Awakening DX U.S. Version, if you name yourself ZELDA in all Caps, you get some alternate music which i don't know what it is
  • RushofBlood17 - October 15, 2010 4:11 a.m.

I swear I have heard Luigi whistle Totaka's song in Luigi's Mansion. Like if you walk around doing nothing for too long or something like that.
  • Hellwilder - April 9, 2011 6:48 p.m.

Culex's theme from Mario RPG also appears in the Haunted Mansion boss fight (Big Boo) in Mario Pinball