• speno93 - February 26, 2010 11:52 p.m.

there was this awesome from from The Settlers 3 where if you were playing on a pirated copy ,all your armouries would produce pigs instead of weapons! it was really cool. good article GR, loved the OF one.
  • JizzyB - February 26, 2010 11:40 p.m.

I have nothing against clever ways of guarding against piracy, but AC2 requiring internet connectivity sucks. I play single-player games WHEN my internet goes out.
  • doublekillz - February 26, 2010 10:28 p.m.

You should check out the one from the people who made DJ max. Pentavision's DJ max Trilogy had a pen drive that came with the game, without that little thing you couldn't play the game at all. Sucks for pirates, but i'd suck if you lose that little pen drive.... But im glad that Pentavision is doing something to go against pirating.
  • civver - February 26, 2010 10:08 p.m.

Pretty interesting. It's just sad that the pirate will always find ways to subvert it.
  • Ampatent - February 26, 2010 9:46 p.m.

Really interesting, I didn't know about any of these methods. It's too bad today's developers are too lazy to be creative in their anti-piracy.
  • garnsr - February 26, 2010 9:38 p.m.

What a seriously rock 'n' roll article. I remember Secret of Mana having a section where you had to go to certain screens with certain seasons, in order, and I thought that was a way of keeping non-Japanese readers from playing the import. Not piracy protection, but along similar lines.
  • Yazin_al-Dayni - February 26, 2010 7:48 p.m.

i heard a lot about the Arkham protection thingy, didn't have any problems with gliding in the pirated version though.
  • ventanger - February 26, 2010 7:29 p.m.

Haha, I thought Meryl's number on the back of the case was just a cool bit of interactivity, like plugging the controller in the 2nd slot. I didn't even realize until now it was an anti-piracy feature.
  • oryandymackie - February 26, 2010 4:58 p.m.

I'm a legitimate customer, but Bill Gates is so evil he'll take away your profile, saves and Gamerscore simply because you were foolish enough to attempt to use a mate's 360 to install an update to your hard drive - via Live.
  • Bossco - February 26, 2010 4:26 p.m.

I remember dail-a-pirate and having to look through pages of a book in Amiga adventure games. I remember pirated Amiga games always had the name of the person that cracked them in the loading screens. Kind of like a calling card
  • EnragedTortoise1 - February 26, 2010 4:04 p.m.

ANd another thing: If pirated, Spyro 3 would delibrately freeze up and crash and be generally buggy, plus it would crash and loose all your saves right before the final boss fight.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - February 26, 2010 4 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Earthbound would freeze up right before the final boss battle if it was pirated.
  • Xplosive59 - February 26, 2010 3:36 p.m.

most games such as spore let you play th game but do not give you online content if you have already installed it on another computer
  • Fallen_Pumpkin - February 26, 2010 3:32 p.m.

The Batman Arkham Asylum made me laugh pretty hard :P
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - February 26, 2010 3:24 p.m.

spirit tracks has something that doesn't let you use the train whistle so you can't get past the pigs, then when the pirates fixed that, every time you try to load a file it says it's corrupted The mgs one is kinda pointless i looked for the package for like an hour and gave up and looked on the internet (it didn't occur to me that it was the game package and i had it just right to my gamecube) so any pirate with that problem can do the same
  • JackSkellingtonsSkin - February 26, 2010 2:48 p.m.

The MGS one was the one that jumped to my head. I think most people tought it was really cool which is why it was probably the best anti-piracy trick. Shame everyone knew the code about a week later anyway.
  • Fiirestorm21 - February 26, 2010 1:16 p.m.

Haha, awesome. The Operation Flashpoint and Batman Arkham Asylum examples are particularly amusing to read.
  • dante1924 - February 26, 2010 12:39 p.m.

What about the earthbound piracy measure? You get up to pokey and beat him, and the game freezes! When you reboot it, ALL of your save data is gone! The never ending boat ride is evil. And the two moogles will slice your neck in your sleep.
  • allthegoodnameswheretaken - February 26, 2010 12:09 p.m.

Stupid DRM.. I miss the good old days of turn to this page and this line =)