• Stabby_Joe - March 24, 2010 1:25 p.m.

Some people who are complaining about bias need to understand something very simple: this article is about what THEY hate, what THEY feel about some games and genres. It's not supposed to cover every game and genre. Just because YOU hate this or that doesn't mean THEY have to feel different for the sake of "balance", it's not the point of this article.
  • Howetzer - March 24, 2010 12:06 p.m.

@jmcgrotty, nice post way to stick it to GR! lol @pikachu200, liberals or should I call them backdoor deal making peices of constitution shredding garbage liberals are the last people who should be calling anyone a tool right now. You're all Obamas, Pelosi, and Reids' tools.
  • pikachu2000 - March 24, 2010 11:49 a.m.

@WhiskeyBit, GOP Tool: This is Hate Week, anything goes, even your precious little GR. These guys are too afraid to bash the games and the genres they really love and went the sissy route yet again this year. Their hate is so weak and boring.
  • jmcgrotty - March 24, 2010 6:23 a.m.

Wow. Mark me in the category of disagreeing. Sorry for the book this is probably going to be turned into. For the second time in like a week, it is inhuman to badmouth Dragons Lair! I love the game and the conversion on Blu-Ray is great. Sure, it is a case of trial and error for a lot of the rooms, but they are grouped in a way to never cause it to be unplayably repetitive. And I know that Heavy Rain was reviewed by someone different than who didn't like Dragons Lair, but Heavy Rain got a decent score for a game that has some similar basic characteristics. As for RPG's... again, I know that different people wrote each entry, but it is really a cheap way out to include both JRPG's and Phantasy Star. That's like saying "I hate Fast Food. By the way, I also hate McDonalds." I will say though that the comment for Phantasy Star was dead on. Phantasy Star was good only in #3. I will say I do agree with the general comment on JRPG's. They don't do anything new anymore. Luckily there are already hundreds of great, playable ones out there. Please, PLEASE apologize for putting Metroid on the list. I literally played it just this afternoon and I was thinking "Dang this game still rocks!", while lamenting how the series was 100% downhill afterwords. The biggest strike for Metroid: It peaked at game #1. With FPS'es (the incest-addicted uncle in the world of video game genres), you flew waaay too far off the reservation with this POS statement: "first step in shooters becoming the only genre"... are you on fking crack?? Who the hell besides some worthless 11 year old kid who hasn't learned how to masturbate yet plays them anymore?? Last but not least, arcade beat'em-ups were a blast as a kid and in a real arcade setting, they still do. Playing it at home doesn't lend itself to that type of game, so by judging it under those conditions, you're not really judging the game. You were right about 2600 games. They do suck. Even for nostalgia purpose, they blow goats. I was a ColecoVision guy growing up anyway.
  • iluvmyDS - March 24, 2010 5:30 a.m.

I don't hate this article.
  • bigdon - March 24, 2010 5:04 a.m.

Gauntlet - We knew it would go on forever, yet we still plunked tokens in 2 at a time. Without the money aspect, it is now obvious that I could have bought a new bike with the cash dumped in to this game.
  • RebornKusabi - March 24, 2010 4:38 a.m.

*Sorry for double post, I'm O.C.D. so I hate spelling errors >_<* The first sentence is supposed to read "I actually [thought] about what my choice..." Sure wish there was an "Edit Post" button -_-
  • RebornKusabi - March 24, 2010 4:36 a.m.

I actually though about what my choice would be for a couple of minutes after I finished reading the article... and I can't come up with any. I would say FPS games BUT for every gung-ho space marine or military shooter, there is a BioShock or Fallout 3 in it's place. I would say JRPG's BUT with this genre, I just go into "hibernation" from the genre every couple of years and come back and play a new Final Fantasy or a new Disgaea for instance. I finally come to the realization- I hate absolutely ZERO game genres >_> I do agree with Brett though, I tried to "blind" re-play Metroid recently and that game was ****ing impenetrable! Oh and while I was was around for Dragon's Lair in the arcades, I played it once, had it kill me in 3 seconds of play and declared it sucked lol
  • infestedandy - March 24, 2010 4:28 a.m.

Oh and one more thing, there's such a thing as CLASSIC gameplay. Some games, and I really mean some, are able to bypass time and always be good. Take Super Mario Bros. 3. It's an old game yes, but its simplistic nature and design is a natural fun factor you can always revisit. Always. Bret's example of Metroid NES is perfect and the same can be said for Zelda NES. But take Mega Man 2 or even A Link to the Past on the SNES and you'll ALWAYS be able to go back. And yes, the XBLA version of TMNT was horrifying. It wasn't the NES version of the game and once I found that out I just couldn't buy it with those infernal MS points. Thanks for screwing us with Turtles in Time as well Ubisoft.
  • infestedandy - March 24, 2010 4:23 a.m.

There's a formula all games follow when you break them down to their essential elements. Every genre has shifted a little as time has moved om, but lets be realistic here; JRPGs have remained true to their past. Now, shooters typically do have the laconic, muscular dudes with big weaponry but JRPGs always have what Mikel said and it's annoying. Having characters you care about like in Mass Effect is the direction I like much better.
  • TURbo - March 24, 2010 4:15 a.m.

@Chris Antista Why didn't you put Super Mario Brothers? That would have gotten tons of responses. About hating that a reference to the original Super Mario Bros would always get more diggs, and you hate it, and its old to you.
  • garnsr - March 24, 2010 4:13 a.m.

I'd write almost exactly the same thing as Mikel, down to being in the Midwest. The Suikoden games were about the only JRPGs I played on PS2, otherwise I've only played the remakes of Dragon Quest on GB/DS in the '00s. It just seems like all Japanese games are falling into the same patterns as RPGs. There's a reason the Japanese are questioning whether their games industry is falling apart, because they haven't been able to change enough from the tried-and-true.
  • WhiskeyBit - March 24, 2010 3:58 a.m.

Oh yeah, @pikachu2000, quit harrasing GR, you liberal tool!
  • WhiskeyBit - March 24, 2010 3:48 a.m.

*sigh* if only shooters actually had solid storylines. Actually, it would be almost impossible to develope a game with a 110% good storyline without detracting from the game's overall gameplay quality. For instance, Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising (book) is a war scenerio about a Soviet-NATO clash. Even though it has to do with all out war, 95% of it is dialogue, whilst the tiny remaining portion only has a trace of actual action. Which i have no problem with at all because its a great book, but the point is, if a shooter had a great story, it probably would not be classified as a shooter at all.
  • phoenix_wings - March 24, 2010 3:38 a.m.

I could go for some classic TMNT: Turtles in Time. After I played the newer one, I was just disappointed. It's really put me off of anything TMNT.
  • minimaxi - March 24, 2010 3:37 a.m.

Ravenbom speaks the truth. couldn't have said it better
  • JustTheBoBreaker - March 24, 2010 2:50 a.m.

I'm with Hank the Tank on this one. TMNT arcade game on XBLA was fun but ultimately did more harm than good to my chilhood memories.
  • sgloomy - March 24, 2010 2:28 a.m.

and this is why i try (for the most part) not to revisit things that i loved when i was a little kid. it will just ruin the memory because our standards are much much higher now
  • pikachu2000 - March 24, 2010 2:27 a.m.

I don't mind JRPGs. I am getting tired of Western RPGs, FPS, and open world games and their doom and gloom lifestyle, their ever so depressing characters and crappy realism. Damn, those games just make you have a bad taste in your mouth when you finish and Give me happiness anyday over hate. Hey Games Radar, do an article adout the reasons why gamers hate open world games and Western RPGS. You guys are way too baised against most of the games that are not made in America. This is called Hate Week? You idoits are suppose to hate everything.
  • CatrParrot - March 24, 2010 2:10 a.m.

I used to love Quest 64. I tried playing it again recently, but after playing a ton of much better RPGs over the past ten years, I realized just how truly mediocre it is.