• FoxdenRacing - July 29, 2013 9:50 a.m.

It's a case of extreme immaturity all around. Fish needs to get his ego in check...you can't kick a hornet's nest and then blame the hornets when you get stung. And Fish is really, really good at kicking hornet's nests. That said, he's not the only one at fault. Your average shrieking banshee that provides that kind of 'feedback' to game devs seem completely incapable of using words to express themselves, and take their personal crusades [or in some cases, 'competitive gaming'] juuuuuuuust a little too seriously. Just a touch. Maybe a little more than a hair. Case in point, the CoD developers [I have no love for the series, the publisher, or the fanbase, but the devs are cool guys] getting death threats over changing the fire rate of a single gun to address a balance issue? And that's what gaming culture's becoming. That target audience...kids that were raised by their xboxes and never learned manners or how to cope with testosterone, and the man-children that never grew out of being that kid...aren't poisoning the well, because they are the well now. For the first time since middle school in the early '90s, when being a gamer meant you were lower in the pecking order than the A/V club guys and the admission of such was an instant cause for bullying, I'm ashamed to call myself a gamer. I spent my youth living down one stereotype, and amazingly the new stereotype is *worse*.
  • BladedFalcon - July 29, 2013 11 a.m.

I agree that the way a lot of gamers behave is beyond idiotic and immature, And I also heavily dislike being associate with those kinds of twats that take everything into hyperboles. THAT being said, Fish's situation? I'd say that's entirely his own fault. Yes, people in the nets tend to be assholes, but an indie developer like Fish who's only really known for one game? he's not high profile enough to attract the unjustified venom that people like the CoD developers you mentioned, or say, someone like Don Mattrick would. If Fish had expressed his opinions in a more civil, neutral way, I bet you no one would have had any problem with him. Heck, FEZ was largely acclaimed by people in general, so there wasn't any reason for even douches to pay particular attention to him. But no, Phil Fish had to open his mouth wide and big and spout things in ways that were BEGGING for people to react badly to. It was so bad that by the time FEZ finally launched, you already had a good bunch of people saying they wouldn't buy FEZ no matter how good it was, because of Fish's behavior. And it just kept getting worse and worse and worse. So on Fish's particular case? All the venom he got was pretty much all his own doing. Mind, i'm not saying that all the hate and venom he got was warranted, but that he got it in the first place only happened because HE provoked it.
  • FoxdenRacing - July 29, 2013 11:08 a.m.

And I'm not going to disagree with that extremely funny rant. I wasn't saying he didn't deserve backlash [if you in effect say 'come at me, bro', then you don't get to cry victim when someone splits your lip open], but nobody deserves the kind of disgusting bile spewed by the guys that embrace the GIFT (Greater Internet ****wad Theory) rather than be self-conscious of falling prey to it.
  • BladedFalcon - July 29, 2013 12:08 p.m.

I agree that no one deserves that kind of bile. But then again that has ALWAYS been the way of life. Today is this kind of cyber abuse, but the masses have always overreacted and exaggerated their negative response to things they don't like. It's not FAIR, but when has the world or society even been fair? Thus, you learn to adapt. I used to be one of those kids that got constantly bullied at school, but guess what? in elementary and middle school, I often provoked them by calling or making them feel stupid. Of course, the response I got for my insulting was not proportional, but again, it is how it is. I solved this by thus learning to NOT provoke people, and simply ignored them, and thus, by high school I was largely ignored and un-bothered by most assholes. The GIFT as you call it shouldn't exist, but it does, and there's probably not much we can do about it. There will always be jerks, there will always be idiots and bullies. Then only thing we CAN do is to learn how to outbest, outsmart or simply not let them bother us. Phil Fish utterly failed to do that, and instead baited them with the biggest fucking gong he could find, then he got swarmed and he couldn't deal, that's on him.
  • brickman409 - July 29, 2013 5:03 p.m.

I think gamers have gotten so diverse that there really isn't much of stereotype anymore. Video games are becoming more like movies or music where there isn't a real constant trend in attributes of people who listen or watch movies or music in general, but there's stereotypes of people who watch or listen certain genres.
  • robotrigger - July 30, 2013 2:23 p.m.

I completely agree with this. Many websites also provide platforms for "journalists" with no training in the field and no sense of professionalism who model this behavior and encourage others to harass people in the industry. On the other hand, many developers act the same way. It's a shame.
  • TanookiMan - July 29, 2013 9:49 a.m.

I kinda hope that he goes back on his word, I really enjoyed Fez and was looking forward to a sequel. That said, I don't think it's going to happen. Even if he did start working on Fez II again, the ridicule he would get from the gaming community would just cause him to suspend development again.
  • larkan - July 29, 2013 9:25 a.m.

I don't think anyone feels bad in this situation. It would've served him much better to ignore the comments and just go about his business. Anyone who has Andy Kaufman as a profile pic is obviously looking for attention in any way, shape, or form. Obviously he had some talent, and if he would've applied half of the time he spent lashing out at people and making enemies, he probably would've had another game or two completed by now. Oh well, at least Blow has enough common sense to keep to himself about this. Internet trolls are everywhere, and they don't care about how you feel, and will say whatever they can to get under your skin. In today's world, you'd think people would learn by now to just quit feeding them.
  • winner2 - July 29, 2013 9:07 a.m.

Good, he can suck something unpleasant.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - July 29, 2013 9:05 a.m.

I wouldn't want to work in the games industry either, it's a constant storm of negativity and hate. Also worth noting that the compare your life to mine then kill yourself line is a quote from Futurama. He still shouldn't have said it but it does change how I viewed the conversation.
  • BladedFalcon - July 29, 2013 10:22 a.m.

I'd just like to point out that the storm of negativity and hate isn't exclusive to games, more so that's just the way the internet works. Furthermore, while a lot of developers get a lot of flack, Phil Fish was practically BEGGING for it, with pretty much everything he said was continuously aggressive, abrasive or outright hostile comments. Most people in the games industry tend to fare just fine, specially when they either mind their own business, or are good nature or just polite to others. Heck, some can even turn it into a positive thing. Take Tak Fuji, the Konami developer that EVERYONE made fun of on his 2010 E3 presentation. He could have been like feel Fish and lash out at everyone that made fun of him, but you know what he did? he laughed along, and now he has thousands of followers that think he's awesome.
  • slimjim441 - July 29, 2013 10:27 a.m.

^
  • Redeater - July 29, 2013 10:49 a.m.

One of the stupidest moves on his part was his tweet about Nintendo. He tweeted something along the lines of "Nintendo fans are all retarded babies" just to see how fast it would spread and then laughed when people rightly took offense. That's some Amanda Bynes level shit right there.
  • TheMcFinder - July 29, 2013 7:07 a.m.

wow. didn't know the creator of fez was a big flubbering vagina.
  • sandplasma - July 29, 2013 7:06 a.m.

I wouldnt be surprised if Mr Fish kills himself one day. Guy just seems unstable. He can dish it out but never take it.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - July 29, 2013 5:52 a.m.

Damn. Is it the week of hate?
  • GR_AndyHartup - July 29, 2013 6:40 a.m.

It isn't the Week of Hate until WE SAY it's the Week of Hate!
  • wadesmit - July 29, 2013 6:44 a.m.

I hate that.
  • GR_AndyHartup - July 29, 2013 6:45 a.m.

That isn't allowed yet.
  • BladedFalcon - July 29, 2013 6:53 a.m.

I hate that it isn't allowed yet!
  • BladedFalcon - July 29, 2013 5:45 a.m.

Yeah... Kinda hard to feel any sympathy for Fish, considering that the main reason he was criticized and attacked so much was because HE KEPT ATACKING AND ANTAGONIZING OTHERS HIMSELF. If you're a dick to everyone and everybody, OF COURSE everyone's going to be a dick back. So no, Fish doesn't even get to play the victim, and the fact that he's even attempting it is just beyond pathetic. This being said, the people here that are already wishing him to die? For your sake people, I hope those are sarcastic comments, because if even a single one of you actually means it, then you're stupider, pettier and more pathetic than he is. He may be a top notch asshole, but that kind of hyperbolic comments and attacks only serve to show how many of Internet users need to fucking grow up as well.
  • lovemeorshootme - July 29, 2013 6:05 a.m.

The compare your life to mine then kill yourself comment was made by Phil Fish to Marcus Beer who he was having a argument with.
  • BladedFalcon - July 29, 2013 6:20 a.m.

I get that. Him saying it was beyond reprehensible and wrong. Others applying that back to Phish feels a bit like stooping to his level, at least to me.