• elpurplemonkey - August 24, 2010 6:21 a.m.

Am I the only one who actually liked the Fallout 3 ending? I felt like it added more weight and finality to my actions and I didn't care that I couldn't go back. I mean, the solution is simple- just do everything you want to do in the game before you finish it. Just taking what David said in the article, "I absolutely hate finishing an RPG set in a vibrant world which I know contains plenty more stories I haven't even touched yet, and then being forced to reboot that world back to an earlier save in order to see more of it." Well then simply complete those stories before you beat the game. There's nothing wrong with the developer trying to tell an engaging story (and if no post-game exploration is part of their vision, who am I to argue?)
  • Genericpenisjoketista - August 24, 2010 4:52 a.m.

Here's an idea for Fallout: Make a world that people will want to explore (not something ugly and boring, like the Capital Wasteland), put more variation between the aesthetics of the NPCs (and hire maybe... 30 more voice actors in addition to their current 4), give the main character a voice and give conversations cinematic camera angles and actual motion, make the gunplay fun (funplay!) and DON'T RIP THE CUSTOMERS OFF BY SELLING THEM AN INCOMPLETE GAME. Oh yeah, and give the game a half-decent story, too. Radiation that generates from a water purifier? What??? Fallout 3 sucked and it successfully stopped a long-time Fallout fan from looking forward to New Vegas.
  • MergedLoki1 - August 24, 2010 3:41 a.m.

Just gonna be like fallout3, they will 'end the game' and then come out w/DLC to extend it (at the price of $10 - $20 of course).
  • mayday991 - August 24, 2010 1:59 a.m.

at the end of red dead dead redemption i felt like the ending was really final,and it let me keep playing.
  • Cwf2008 - August 24, 2010 1:24 a.m.

AGAIN?!
  • FauxFurry - August 23, 2010 10:42 p.m.

Most of the games with post-game content tend to be very linear or didn't have much of a plot to begin with(especially Fable 2). I can see why they would be reluctant to give an open-world role playing game with multiple endings post-game exploration elements. That doesn't mean that there isn't a feasible work-around for Obsidian if they choose to use it,though. The old reliable 'Continue+' method used in games such as Chrono Trigger/Cross,Breath of Fire 4 and Rogue Galaxy would work just fine here, setting the player character back to a scene slightly before the end of the game but with all of the items and experience they acquired in the end-game portion with new side-quests opened up for them to use them in. This way,there is no ret-con needed and the story maintains its sense of closure after the climax. Everyone(with reasonable expectations)wins.
  • bradmillow0 - August 23, 2010 9:54 p.m.

I do prefer post-game exploration in rpgs, but I usually finish everything I can find before this point anyway, so I don't care that much. I would like a DLC to continue the game though.
  • Doctalen - August 23, 2010 9:38 p.m.

DID BETHESDA LEARN NOTHING FROM FALLOUT 3?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • EDfromRED - August 23, 2010 9:22 p.m.

I'm VERY dissapointed to hear this, the excuse that the end game "slides" will be extensive & detailed, allready has me pre-dissapointed. So after 100+ hours I'm going to be treated to a slideshow -Whoopi! Sounds like deja vu all over again. The original Fallout 3 ending was lame, with your characters demise robbing players of the joy of exploring the gameworld. Broken Steel and the subsequent DLC thankfully fixed this, and provided some of the games most stellar & enjoyable content. It sounds like such a no-brainer not to repeat past RPG missteps that causes such an uproar. I'm hoping I'm proven wrong and the New Vegas ending seems satisfactory and complete, but "slides" did not hack it in Fallout 3.
  • LordGremlin - August 23, 2010 9:14 p.m.

Isn't it bloody obvious that they will SELL post-endgame exploration as a DLC?
  • el_kazzanova - August 23, 2010 8:47 p.m.

man damn i like great endings, but finishing an open world game without even knowing idf u did everything and not been able to explore it later is as annoying as having game with bad ending.
  • JamesT - August 23, 2010 8:29 p.m.

It's actually a big enough mistake that I generally question their ability to learn from past mistakes (broken steel was a much needed fix to FO3), and their commitment to the project. I think that I'll wait till the consensus comes in to buy this game, if I buy it at all. My only hope is that this doesn't discourage Bethesda from making Fallout 4.
  • ryno - August 23, 2010 8:13 p.m.

post endgame exploration=good lack therof=bad
  • Hayseyboy - August 23, 2010 7:55 p.m.

DISSAPOINT.
  • Xplosive59 - August 23, 2010 7:33 p.m.

ok, now i hope the end is as good as MGS3's cause that is the only justification to cut a sandbox game short for an ending. Considering that Bethesda tried to do the same thing but failed and led to a crap finish. if you have to cut off a game for the ending at least make it memorable and good
  • miked00d - August 23, 2010 7:27 p.m.

Anyone else feel that obsidian are just fucking lazy? First of all they cant be bothered changing the graphics engine at all, now they cant be arsed simply altering the game world. bring back bethesda.
  • pinoklin - August 23, 2010 7:25 p.m.

i agree completely with this because in my case i always play the whole game before the ending, like in fallout 3, i drained every quest and explorable area of loot and baddies before i even knew that optimus prime was at our side.
  • Clovin64 - August 23, 2010 7:17 p.m.

When FFXIII's main quest finished, the narrative came to a full stop, but there was tons of stuff to do after the main storyline that you probably couldnt have done before and the final chunk of the Crystarium gets unlocked. To me, this kept the feel of progression even though you return to before the storyline ends.
  • Apollomasque - August 23, 2010 7:15 p.m.

Personally, I saw Broken Steel as a godsend. It dealt with the lousy ending to the game and let you progress further in the story. It was much needed and very welcome. The changes weren't THAT major and overall, it just felt like an upgrade and improvement. I do hope they perform the same little retcon in New Vegas. I don't want the ending to sneak up on me and leave me with things unfinished like in Fallout 3.
  • FlagrantPilgrim - August 23, 2010 7:09 p.m.

I totally agree with the latter half of this article. An absolute end fits games like Uncharted 2, which has a predetermined plot, but if I buy a role-playing game, I want to play out my role as I see fit.