• CombatWombat101 - May 27, 2010 7:53 p.m.

@ scsmith1: This is crap games running on GOOD technology. Oooooohhhh, I went there. Before I get flamed like hell, let me just say that I love Valve and pretty much everything they do... I'm just getting really goddamn tired of the Source engine. It looks... passable, at best. Give us Source 2.0!
  • Drumdoctor - May 27, 2010 7:41 p.m.

I have a friend who says Quantum of Solace was actually a fair game. ReCaptcha: Tweeted this No I didn't! I don't have twitter!
  • scsmith1 - May 27, 2010 7:36 p.m.

Sin Episodes: Emergence (episodes?) on Source.
  • oryandymackie - May 27, 2010 5:53 p.m.

Finally, someone agrees with the whole 'Vaseline' thing. I tried to point this out to various people (gamers), but they simply looked at me strangely and wandered in the other direction.
  • kor2disturbed - May 27, 2010 4:32 p.m.

Quantum of Solace wasn't that bad of a game, at least not crap level. Same thing with prey it may not have been Gears of war/uncharted level but it was sure as hell worth a try. Lastly OF: Dragon Rising ruled and you guys seemed to love it in the review, I know I'm just repeating what people have been saying but it's true!
  • jackburnt - May 27, 2010 2:42 p.m.

I loved Sewer Shark, but I was horrible at it. Didn't even get past "Dogmeat."
  • crumbdunky - May 27, 2010 2:30 p.m.

:@rainbowstalin-Why? KZ2 hardly got critical kickings and is still widely regarded as one of the three best looking console games of all time. The only people who found it "crap" were those, imo, who either didn't realise that not every shooter must control like Halo or COD or thinks EVERY game must be made with their preferences to the fore rather than the devs trying to do what they wished and make the game have it's own ID! Seriously, KZ2 isn't perfect by any means(I particularly found the fact EVERYTHING made you seem like you were playing as a amazingly height challenged midget off putting!)but it collects some really unnecessary brickbats when it's clearly a VERY competent(at worst) game-even the first was a good game that just suffered from severe over ambition. Stop picking on GG!
  • Seabread - May 27, 2010 12:11 p.m.

You'll find the 'vaseline' look is a trait all UE games share, even BAA and GoW. they can't get the surface reflectance values right. things looks like they're glowing as opposed to reflecting light.
  • Benjamin333 - May 27, 2010 11:02 a.m.

Wait, scrap that last comment. My mistake: Fallout 3 is a good game running on crap technology. This is a list of CRAP games running on GOOD technology. Confusing.
  • Benjamin333 - May 27, 2010 10:58 a.m.

@NamelessTed Good call! My only regret with the article is forgetting Fallout 3's outdated Gamebyro engine (my God, it's creaky). Apart from that, I stand by all of my personal choices. I'm sorry you disagree with me. It's interesting reading how you'd have written it differently :)
  • NamelessTed - May 27, 2010 10:37 a.m.

I am sorry Benjamin but there are so many things wrong with this list. First, as many other people have mentions, Prey? Really? Secondly, Sonic Adventure? Maybe people don't actually like this game but me and all my friends liked it when it came out. Sonic Adventure 2 was also good. Sonic didn't really get bad until after that. Third, how is FMV a good technology? Having real actors play out scenes for a video has never, and will never be a good idea. Last, but not least, Unreal Engine 3. I find it hard to say that UE3 is "great technology". I think it is fair to say that most games that come out using the engine are below average games. In fact, the best games that use Unreal Engine 3, like Mass Effect 2 or Batman: AA, the dev team had to significantly modify the engine. I should also mention that the two Bioshock games are on Unreal Engine 2.5, not 3. So, those games don't count as an example of why 3 is good. Go and look at Mass Effect, that is a great game but it runs like pure garbage with dropper frames, screen tearing, and low framerate. The biggest issue that plagues almost every single game running Unreal Engine 3 is texture loading. Gears and Gears 2 are both guilty of this. ME2 and Batman are the only two games that I can think of that don't have this problem. I don't know about you, but I don't want the texture to load on my screen 10 seconds after I am playing, that is crap. I think I could put together a pretty solid list of great games that run on crap technology. Fallout 3 would definitely be on the top of that list, and the Gamebryo engine is one of the most outdated pieces of junk of anything this generation.
  • CombatWombat101 - May 27, 2010 10:13 a.m.

As much as I loved Dark Sector, and even though it's got a 72 on Metacritic (which actually surprised me), I'm surprised it wasn't included, since I know of far more people that hate it or think it's thoroughly 'meh' than people who love it. The Evolution Engine impressed the hell out of me; DS still has some of the nicest-looking videogame fire ever.
  • philipshaw - May 27, 2010 9:41 a.m.

I would say the latest PES game has a great graphics engine but the game is not great
  • kaiben - May 27, 2010 9:30 a.m.

Prey was a very good game and I don't know why it's on this list.
  • Benjamin333 - May 27, 2010 9:11 a.m.

'Benjamin Griffin, I'm calling you out. Prey is a great game.' 'So are you a freelancer, intern, or 13 for calling Prey bad?' Wow, I had no idea Prey was regarded so highly! I played it through to the end and although it starts well (the bar scene/invasion was fantastic) it tends to overuse gimmicks. The use of portals was interesting but limited, and I personally felt the level design a bit too mid-90's Doom/Quake (grab the key, break the spirit barrier, etc.) Also, as Eric said, another reviewer may have scored Operation Flashpoint higher, but not everyone on GR necessarily shares the same opinion. And to iluvmyDS, I'm a 21-year old freelancer :)
  • TheBoz - May 27, 2010 8:53 a.m.

Forgot to mention Night Trap on the Sega CD too, and then there was Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga, at it's best moments it could bring itself up to average. I also class Pac Man, that to me has to be the most overated game in history. Pong has to be a toughie, great technology for it's time but as a game, was it really any good?
  • TheBoz - May 27, 2010 8:48 a.m.

God, that takes me back, all the crap FMV games like Psychic Detective and Voyeur. Megarace too, looked totally awesome for it's day, it was in essence Power Drift meets Bladerunner. BUT as a game, sucked big time.
  • iluvmyDS - May 27, 2010 8:01 a.m.

Now I feel like a dick because the rest was pretty good :x
  • iluvmyDS - May 27, 2010 7:59 a.m.

So are you a freelancer, intern, or 13 for calling Prey bad?
  • johnprezioso - May 27, 2010 7:13 a.m.

Prey was a fantastic game. WTF Gamesradar?!