Topics

DLC Mass Effect

• FlameChucks76 - August 28, 2012 3:54 p.m.

The article makes the great point that any DLC Bioware decides to make at this point is ultimately pointless and unnecessary. If Bioware's true intention was to continue ME3 through the course of DLC, and when dealing with EA it's always a possible outcome, then shame on them for passing off this ending as a clever end all be all situation. The issue I have with the ending is that it completely comes down to irrational thought and an overzealous sense of entitlement on the part of the Catalyst. Creating DLC that takes place during the course of the invasion is completely redundant as the ending has already been decided, albeit in three different flavors. I feel that Bioware really did create this third entry in order to primarily profit from the admiration that their fans have for this series. As someone who has played through these games over the last five years, it's disheartening to see one of the best franchises this generation has produced into nothing more than a cash cow. Holding the carrot in front of your fans only serves to degrade the quality of Bioware as a company and Mass Effect as a franchise.
  • angelusdlion - August 28, 2012 3:30 p.m.

In a world full of oppression, violence, bigotry and depravity the disgusting amount of ire raised by the ending of a video game almost makes me ashamed to be a gamer. Get over it. Please flame me, prove my point.
  • FlameChucks76 - August 28, 2012 4:59 p.m.

I can't really argue with this point because you're right. Yes, there are bigger issues in the world that are way beyond the realm of where we hold videogames. However, being that we are people, and people need ways to leave that kind of stress behind, think of videogames as the last resort for a way of escape. When you listen to your favorite record, watch your favorite movie, or play your favorite video game, that is the moment where we leave the realities that our human civilization has brought onto itself. I'm not saying that these issues in our world don't need fixing, but it's fairly hypocritical to look at the community and only stand to shake your head when you yourself haven't contributed anything to these problems that you have brought up. I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but if you are looking to put down a community who embraces this hobby with as much heart as an overseer has over art, then forgive me for enjoying and loving this hobby of mine.
  • FOZ - August 28, 2012 9:49 p.m.

Cut that shit out right now. Why would you be ashamed of something someone else did? And you can't always be thinking about the bad stuff. So when people go to their entertainment and are let down by that, what's wrong with making a fuss about it? And while I'm sure there were some people who got more angry than was worth, it's not as though dropping some angry messages on forums and comment sections takes up that much of anyone's life. There's plenty of time to go talk about those other things. People don't just forget that world issues exist the instant they aren't talking about them.
  • FierceVoltage - August 29, 2012 9:44 p.m.

The problem with your comment is that you are posting this comment on a videogame website, where discussing videogames is the exact purpose of the website. You are saying that they are more important things than videogames on a videogame website. Yes we are going to get upset about a game we care about, especially on a gaming website, the appropriate place to talk about these things.
  • ParagonT - August 30, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Wait.... So you don't expect a gamer to be concerned with games?
  • BladedFalcon - August 30, 2012 5:02 p.m.

I'm going to suppose then, that you are putting all your efforts and ire into making this world a better place, and not doing useless, redundant thins such as bitching about people bitching about games in a website, right? Hypocrites, don't you just love them? :D
  • Pwnz0r3d - August 28, 2012 12:11 p.m.

I posted a comment on the YouTube trailer for Leviathan. "It sounds great; till you realize you're paying for a glorified war asset." I got flamed for this, with people defending that they're playing for the story. What story? Some girl's father is missing then possessed by a Reaper? None of that matters. We know how it ends. Like you stated, this mission is literally for one war asset and the introduction of a couple new characters that will have no importance to the plot whatsoever, no matter how interesting you are. This superweapon to defeat the Reapers? Yeah, again as you stated, it's obviously a dud because of the endings. However, I disagree with the addition of new endings. The ones we got with the Extended Cut were perfect. THAT'S what we should've gotten. It was still poorly written, (only Samurai Jack can successfully pull off Deus Ex Machinas because it's part of the overall story) but it was the best they could do with what they already established. If this DLC gives us a new ending, that completely ruins the choice option of a new ending. Because we can only get THAT ending by paying for it, and ONE mission unlocked it. That's stupid. Then the next DLC will be the same way. The ONLY DLC that can be acceptable due to the finality of the ending is something about Anderson's Resistance. Because it doesn't interfere with the end of the game, but as a result, will be much more linear. But it could be a whole new campaign.
  • boondocks50 - August 28, 2012 10:39 a.m.

I just dont care anymore. As much as i used to boast about how this was one of the greatest franchises to my friends, in the end it disappointed. Ill watch a playthroughs of this and other DLC on YT when its out. Past that, im not investing any money or time into playing Mass Effect anymore because like you said we already know how it ends, and for me it was mediocre so whatever
  • RebornKusabi - August 28, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Sorry, I used to be a fan of the series then that ending happened. I know this article was flame-bait and I get that, so I won't be... theatrical about disagreeing with your statement on complainers and whiners but I will say this- that ending was trash. Overly nihilistic, needlessly and violently grim and jarringly convoluted compared to the rest of the game. God-child Deus Ex Machina endings are some of the laziest type of endings around. I wasn't expecting my Shepard to survive, but I was also not expecting every ending to be me destroying the universe by detonating Mass Relays that cause Supernovae when they explode ("But that's not what happened though!" you say, well then maybe you should go replay the "Arrival" DLC for ME2). Listen, if you like dark and angry and 90's style endings, that's fine. But don't be a bitch when you hear other people complain about it just because they dare speak up against your favorite thing. I love Scott Pilgrim and Dark Knight Rises but you won't see me act entitled when other people voice distaste in those two things. So stop flame-baiting for hits and comments.
  • BladedFalcon - August 28, 2012 2:14 p.m.

Erm... I think you replied to the wrong person?
  • ParagonT - August 30, 2012 9:06 a.m.

I think he did as well.
  • brazmanoqk - August 28, 2012 9:32 a.m.

You mentioned at the start of the article that your choices mattered in the end, I don't see how? No choice you made had any effect apart from blue, green, red?
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 28, 2012 10:46 a.m.

Just because they didn't effect an ending cinematic doesn't mean they didn't happen. The Quarians are dead in my universe.
  • DictatorStan - August 28, 2012 12:22 p.m.

That's all well and good, (not really good but you know) but the fact that the Quarians are dead didn't mean anything to the outcome of the game. They were just an asset that was replaced by the Geth if I remember correctly. I love the idea in this article though.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 28, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Sure it did. In my universe they were dead, just because the Geth didn't show up to high-five me and save the day doesn't mean I didn't choose them.
  • FlameChucks76 - August 28, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Personally I feel like this is a cop-out kind of statement. To say that because the Quarians being dead changed the outcome of the game is like saying replacing your coke with pepsi will offer a better taste. To some they will never notice the different between either one, especially if you empty out the coke and fill that can with pepsi. Ultimately the choice of keeping either Geth or Quarian didn't matter because you still ended up making a choice at the end of the game as to how to deal with it. Even if you had gone through with either Geth or Quarian, the outcome is the same. The only difference is the backdrop of the scene. Had i known that all of my choices were mainly for a pure aesthetic for dramatic effect then I probably wouldn't have wasted my time bringing peace to an ongoing conflict between the Geth and Quarian races. I high-fived both races and even with their help, didn't do anything different in regards to how the endgame went had I not had them with me anyways.
  • Blaze38 - August 28, 2012 8:10 p.m.

Bro you are missing the point he is trying to make. Everyone's Mass Effect Universe is differen't! Also what I want to know is what kind of ending were you looking for anyway? A Fallout 3 style where it recaps all your choices? A one where every single person that you ever made a choice with in mass effect all jump and have a glorious "We did it!" freeze frame momment? The point of mass effect wasn't how all your choices effected the ending its about the journey and making those choices along the way. Its the personal feelings about everything and sense of power you had to make those choices.
  • ParagonT - August 30, 2012 9:14 a.m.

I agree with his statement more than yours to be honest. At the end of the game, it didn't matter who you picked, everything went to crap anyway (before the patch). Besides that obvious statement, I think it's weird to say that the "effect" of your choices does not matter compared to the "journey", when the games title sorta says otherwise. Cause and effect my friend, that's what the game was about, but the ending makes that a moot point by taking out the "effect" if you will because the effect that you're given is based on a choice at the end that is detached from any choices you've made so far.