• gazzc - May 22, 2012 11:43 a.m.

Doom3 was very dissapointing, it was just another space shooter and did not feel like doom, missing all the main ingredients. Doom4 needs to have good levels, huge mazes where finding your way to the end is half of the fun, with key cards, open areas too and not just linear corridors. I want levels where you get to chaingun through masses of demons, think more like serious sam, not a small room with 5 enemies. And screw fancy upgradeable weapons, just give me the classic doom selection - powerful, satisfying and each one having its prefered uses. The final thing that really must be done right is the audio. I want to hear the distant roar of a pack of pinkies and the stomp of a cyberdemon long before I can actually see them. That is what really made doom scary. Oh and for the music, they can just rip it right off the CD of the playstation version because that was perfect, I still can't listen to it without feeling a little creeped out.
  • db1331 - May 22, 2012 11:50 a.m.

It was an awful game, completely unplayable without the duct tape mod that let you use your gun and flashlight at the same time.
  • GR HollanderCooper - May 22, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Weird, my copy must have been bugged - I managed to play it without that.
  • db1331 - May 22, 2012 1:40 p.m.

You might have low standards then.
  • TheVoid - February 19, 2014 1:53 p.m.

In Coop's defense (there's a first time for everything, I suppose), to accuse him of having low standards just because you don't agree with him is pretty damn low in of itself. Personally I also liked Doom 3, and to see you cite it as "completely unplayable without the duct tape mod" tells me that, to an extent, you missed the point. You see, the whole "shoot your weapon OR use your flashlight, but not both at the same time" mechanic was just that...a game mechanic, central to what the developers set out to do. Sure it was highly unrealistic and seemingly out of place in a game that poured the details on so thickly, but once you came to terms with the fact that this was a pre-determined "rule" that you had to abide by, it it did manage to generate some real thrills that the duct tape mod spoiled entirely. For example (and apologies if my memory is not entirely spot-on - it's been a while), I recall one particular section that involved escorting a scientist through a near pitch-black maze-like area rife with hissing machines and stalking demons. Having to constantly trade off the comforts of "seeing what's ahead" and "weapons free" - especially when it was so easy to mistake a hissing machine for a pouncing demon - made for some incredibly tense gameplay that would have been completely lost on those who opted for the duct tape mod. In fact, I'd wager the duct tape mod made that (and many other) aspects of the game nearly forgettable in the same way that "god mode" made Doom 1 and 2 a boring slog-fest. I think of Doom 3 and I immediately recall instances of my flashlight painting a target, trading flashlight for gun and then nervously shooting into the darkness, hoping that the demon was still where it was a second ago, aided only by the gun's muzzle flash to confirm or adjust. It added tension, which was central to the entire Doom 3 experience. I've played and beaten Doom 3 three times - twice "vanilla', once with the expansion pack (and each time on incrementally stronger PC), never opting once for the duct tape mod, mainly because that mod offered nothing but a game-breaking experience. It was a cheat that rendered the whole experience moot. Am I saying Doom 3 was perfect as is? Nope. I whole-heartedly agree that the "monster closets" felt woefully out of place, even if they only existed as tongue-in-cheek "call backs" to the earlier Doom games. I further imagine it doesn't hold up particularly well these days - it was a graphical revolution for it's time but unlike truly classic games (Doom 2 being a perfect example - a staple on my hard drive since release) Doom 3 was more the product of it's time rather than a "timeless" experience. But for it's time it was innovative and often damn scary and will sit in my memory as a largely worthwhile experience. So how about toning down the rhetoric a bit there, db1331? To accuse Coop (and seemingly anyone else that appreciated what Doom 3 was going for) of "low standards" when you yourself missed the point completely by tearing through it with a game-breaking mod is, at best, a lousy platform to be standing on while casting such judgments.
  • db1331 - February 19, 2014 1:56 p.m.

How did you even land in this thread? This thing is almost 2 years old...
  • TheVoid - February 19, 2014 3:58 p.m.

I noticed that after posting my comment. The article is actually on the home page currently, and if you check the date of the article it references today. Perhaps Coop made some update and reposted it (which seems to happen with some frequency across the GR staff these days), especially with a new Doom just announced. But seeing how I missed it the last time I stand by my comment!
  • db1331 - February 20, 2014 6:31 a.m.

Well I'd also like to add that even the game's creators appear to have admitted that the "flashlight or gun" mechanic in the original game was complete bullshit. In the Doom 3 BFG edition that came out last year, the flashlight is now mounted on your shoulder, so you can actually see wtf is going on in the game while you have a gun out. So I stand by MY comment that the original game was unplayable without the duct tape mod, unless you hate yourself.
  • TheVoid - February 20, 2014 2:07 p.m.

I think the issue I (and Coop) are having is with your language: 1. I've played and beaten the game multiple times, so, it's not "unplayable" as you say. And I doubt Coop and I are alone - I know plenty of people who played it and...(wait for it)...enjoyed it. So...unplayable by your standards, which doesn't necessarily make our standards low. Why the need to cast judgments? You didn't like it - fine. I liked it - EQUALLY FINE. I think it's the berating that I'm taking issue with more than anything at this point. 2. "Appear to have admitted that the "flashlight or gun" mechanic in the original game was complete bullshit". Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the mounted flashlight in the BFG edition optional? I seem to recall them keeping the "vanilla" version of the game intact, which voids your position. And again with the heavy-handed verbiage: "admitted...was complete bullshit". Uh...don't think anyone at Id ever said that, and it's a leap to make that assumption just because of that inclusion, which was more likely based on that particular mod's popularity. And before you go there: just because a mod was popular didn't mean the game without was bullshit. 3. "Unless you hate yourself". Ok, maybe you are just being a wise ass or whatever but really? Comments like this totally paint you as a basement-dwelling "mom make me a sandwich" mouth-breather. Try proving the stereotype wrong for a change and maybe try taking the high road instead. We can talk about these things in a civil manner you know - doesn't have to be baby-level chest-beating all the time.
  • db1331 - February 21, 2014 5:07 a.m.

1. Millions of people like Nickelback. That doesn't mean they're a good band. 2. A quick Google search seems to point to the shoulder light being the only option. Looks like you couldn't play it like the vanilla version even if you wanted. 3. Lighten up, Francis. You also need to update your stereotypes.
  • Corsair89 - May 22, 2012 12:13 p.m.

I agree, especially concerning the audio. One of my biggest problems with Doom 3, other than the ridiculous darkness, is that the guns sounded like toys. The machine gun sounded like a bb gun and the pulse rifle sounded like a kid going 'phew phew phew'. It bugged the shit out of me the entire game.