• MassSaber - September 1, 2011 6:13 a.m.

I'm black have played Games for most of my life and seen many AbS (Annoying Black stereotypes) most of which I forget completely some like Sgt Johnson or Cole grow on me (i'm still pretty miffed at the way Johnson died) This particular example sounds like a white Voice Actor trying sound black and failing at it, but given the fact the Voice acting in this game for the minor NPCs is all over place thats not surprising It's VA'S cock up not Squeenix I think
  • chrisantistas2inchpenis - September 1, 2011 5:57 a.m.

My first thought when I saw her was "She's gonna be on Tdar". Also, in the Hive in Shanghai you can tell one of the bouncers that "You all look the same to me". Isn't that just as bad?
  • Richamundo90 - September 1, 2011 10:57 a.m.

Jensen means lackies look the same to him. It has nothing to do with race. That's looking for racism where there is none. Seriously listen to whole sentences before you accuse something of this.
  • InfinityPrimo - September 1, 2011 5:52 a.m.

You know what I dislike the most tho? People who think racism is some shadowy past that is gone. White people take offense to racism the most because they are often called the racist. I can understand your disdain. However racism exist not just between black and white, but ALL racets of any culture. Whether its ethnicity, religion, color, whatever. Tell me you haven't had a racist thought ever, and I'll call you a liar. You don't have to outright hate someone to know racism. Racism is built in our society. We are pre-programmed to judge each other and with that we have racism flowing through our society. Black, white, Asian, Latino, etc YOU ALL HAVE HAD A RACIST THOUGHT OR TWO. But that does NOT make you racist, however ignoring the fact that racism exists is racist. You can't just pretend that racism doesn't exist and hope it will go away, you must confront it and tear down the walls of racism to completely eradicate it. Sadly too many people are complaining about how THEY are not racist and get "SICK" of hearing about it. BTW the chick in the video...THAT SH!T IS RACIST
  • RandomIdoit - September 1, 2011 12:36 p.m.

I've never had a racist thought, and I'm no liar.
  • InfinityPrimo - September 1, 2011 2:30 p.m.

You see you think that but we all have. I'm not calling you a racist. I'm saying as long as there is men and women in this world of different color you can NEVER say you never judged them based on their color. THAT is inherent racism. You cannot be sure that you never have. Have you ever been scared of seeing a "thug" styled black or Latino? Without speaking to them? IF you're black have you ever wanted to have you ever wanted to be seen as the equal to your white counter parts? This is called "inherent" racism. You cannot get away from it and to say that you NEVER had a racist thought (whether you know it or not) is false... I'm sorry
  • pot - September 2, 2011 9:54 a.m.

Then you admit you've had racist thoughts as well then?
  • VvSch - September 1, 2011 5:33 a.m.

What disturbs me the most is how the voice clashes with the character. It does not fit together at all.
  • inkyspot - September 1, 2011 5:30 a.m.

For all those who are sick of hearing about racism, then why not be a part of the solution instead of the problem. Sweeping dirt under the carpet doesn't mean that your house is clean, it's still dirty, your just hiding the reality from the public, but that can only work for so long. Racism is on many levels, those who have been oppressed and the ones oppressing. While you can somewhat justify the the rants of ones who are being oppressed, why are those who are not being racist against the oppressed? If any of you who are sick care, with me focusing on the Japanese (My ex was Japanese, her father was racist, but whatever), start talking about blacks, or even Latin people and see where that get you, don't make it obvious, casual chatter, see how that go. what the eff have been done to them by Latins/Africans or their descendants. Granted the game is about the future, but this is a reflection of the creative team, and all in all I have met a few people that may have sounded somewhat like that (Granted in my life, only a few), plus the acting on this was horrible that it was funny. You want racism to stop, then stop being racist, you are my brother and sister and I am yours, or just shut up and except the reality of the situation. I won't get more into this, the game is cool, I love that futurist stuff, Deus Ex is up my ally, like Sid Mead, and a whole bunch of other futurist. Game on brothers and sister.
  • Celticlupin13 - September 1, 2011 5:35 a.m.

It's up your ally? So it's up your friend?
  • RandomIdoit - September 1, 2011 12:40 p.m.

one phrase we could all try to live by... "people are people and should be treated the same" -RandomIdoit btw... I already live by it.
  • sirdarkat - September 1, 2011 5:23 a.m.

I find the game extremely racist; it shows white people in a bad light having us murder and kill innocent people. Why can't these games stop making all the bad characters white? Oh wait hold on ... ::rereads the article:: The complaint is about a character you can actually miss? And not the fact that once again white people are the evil psychos that want to rule the world and murder everyone? Oh well then no its not racist. /sarcasm I'm tired of the OMG its a minority in a video game and they have a character flaw; my butt hurts because we can only show minorities as epitomes of awesomeness and bad assery and anything less is racism.
  • InfinityPrimo - September 1, 2011 5:39 a.m.

Negative. I have no problem with portrayals of "typical" behavior but this IS not typical black behavior anymore. To act like these things don't exist is actually racist in itself. Now I'm not calling you a racist, not at all, but to brush racism aside and NOT see that this portrayal of a black women is in fact racist is actually racism to the core.
  • luttman23 - September 1, 2011 5:07 a.m.

Did a black woman do the voice? Because if a black woman did the voice it's not racist. That's how it works. If a white woman was putting on a black voice then it's racist.
  • InfinityPrimo - September 1, 2011 5:42 a.m.

you're joking right? Even IF a black woman did the voice its racist. She did "gullah" voice for a black woman, IN 2027!!! That ish is racist no matter what. I don't know who got the notion that when black people say something about black people that sh!t isn't racist. That sh!t is actually WORSE!!
  • jmcgrotty - September 1, 2011 4:59 a.m.

"Is Deus Ex Racist?" Odd question. But I gotta say that no, it isn't. I don't see any way in which a long-distance runner (or a sprinter for that matter) has any advantage in the game. As a response to the actual issue in question: No. There is absolutely no reason for any game to be questioned about it's political correctness. EVERY game on every format/console/etc should have absolute freedom (with some obvious exceptions) to say and do whatever they want without being blamed by some pissant whiners of being insensitive. If there is every anything in ANY game that offends you, just turn the system off now and go read "choose your own adventure" books instead. Anyone who supports any PC-ness in any fashion can go get f****ed. (Again, there are obvious extreme exceptions to this rule, but it basically only comes down to illegal sex acts (Pedophilia, beastiality, rape).)
  • inkyspot - September 1, 2011 4:57 a.m.

I'm sick of racism bullsh*t too, so why don't people just stop being racist and that will solve everything... wait, they won't. Still a good game though. Japanese are know for their racism. I found the character over the top, but funny. I just bought it was more bad acting which made it funny.
  • Celticlupin13 - September 1, 2011 5:36 a.m.

You can't comment twice!
  • zak-mciver - September 1, 2011 4:24 a.m.

Im sick of all of this racism bulls**t theres nothing offensive at all. Should other people complain saying that this makes white people seem like murderers like Jensen can be? it's ridiculous always has been and people should just leave it, When i came across it i thought it was funny as it was diversifying the characters rather than everyone being serious. The only people that seem to notice these 'Racist' things are stuck up pencil pushers who like to cause a stir (not talking about GR) but i think all gaming news websites unless there is an extreme should all just ignore this time of crap and stop promoting it cause honestly I never noticed until now. *rant over*
  • kclay - September 1, 2011 3:49 a.m.

While I personally haven't spoken to her in game, from what I've read in the comments it seems as if she is quite knowledgeable of what is going on around the area, much more so than one would expect out of the normal homeless in the rest of the game. So with that said, a bit of wild mass guessing here, perhaps how intelligent she seems compared to how out of place her dialect and accent is a clue that there's more to her than meets the eye. Maybe she's an undercover agent of some sort who simply fails miserably at blending in and the devs just didn't have time to flesh out her story but liked the questions her presence would raise (by which I refer to the oddness of it all, not claiming the devs would be trying to play up the alleged racism). That said, we'll just have to wait and see if the devs come out and explain the character. Since if she was just a throwaway NPC from the start, then yeah, it would be a bit stereotypical and racist. But if it was originally a hint that something was amiss and led to a sidequest, then it's not bad at all since the entire point would be to for her to be a flashing neon sign that something is obviously wrong since no one you meet in the game sounds anything near what she sounds like. Great bit of fridge logic/easter egg or blatant racism? Who knows. (Sorry for the wall of text.) tl;dr maybe racist, maybe not, context matters.