• Danter72 - February 8, 2014 9:40 p.m.

Finally an article I agree with about where video games should be headed. I just registered to the website to PRAISE this article. Lately I have seen a lot of articles about how games should become more like the role-playing board games like D&D where it's all about complete freedom of gameplay and story, articles about how video games should drop their maturity and start making games that are just fun, but this article finally acknowledges what games should become in my opinion. I honestly just play games because of their artistic value and their great potential to share great and deep storytelling and this could only be achieved through the vision of a person and not just a random event made by a machine. I understand people who want to play games just for fun but I recently felt alienated by those articles who completely ignored the audience who actually wants a meaningful and deeply constructed experience out of games.
  • tonypang - February 8, 2014 9:16 p.m.

Resident Evil 4 ~ one of the best games ever made, yet also one of the most linear.
  • Revolt189 - February 8, 2014 2:43 p.m.

I could not agree more with this article. Especially the perfectionists and OCDers out there, open-world game play is almost daunting. I remember playing the Elder Scrolls IV for the first time, and, after reaching the end of the sewer near the beginning of the game, I remarked: "Well now what?"
  • ObliqueZombie - February 7, 2014 8:27 a.m.

Great, great article. Story and characters reign supreme for me, but add in fun game mechanics and I'm set. I enjoy the same open-world games you do--weirdly, to a T-- and our reasons are the same. I wish this "open world" fad would quickly lessen itself so developers stop thinking it's the answer to all their development woes.
  • gilgamesh310 - February 6, 2014 6:03 p.m.

Good article. Linearity reigns supreme in my book.
  • bobob101 - February 6, 2014 1:51 p.m.

What about a game like FF 13, which left an long established line of open wordiness for the prettiest damn tube I have ever played through?
  • sephex - February 7, 2014 5:47 a.m.

That game isn't liked by anybody.
  • db1331 - February 6, 2014 12:13 p.m.

Linearity is fine when it's done correctly. I really only ever notice it if the game is trying to mask it. Like with The Last of Us. It had these gorgeous sprawling views. Dense wilderness, huge buildings, etc. But you could never really venture off the path. Every alleyway had a fence. Every staircase was blocked by a stack of furniture. I remember when I first got to the area with the dam and was looking off into the woods and mountains thinking how badly I wanted to just go in the woods and explore, or walk to the base of that mountain. But I could only follow the little dirt path. I'm not saying I wanted it to be open world. Just a little more freedom would've been perfect. I realize they were limited by the PS3 though. It just makes me wish they had designed it for the PC instead.
  • BladedFalcon - February 6, 2014 12:42 p.m.

Love how you just HAVE to incorporate a jab at consoles even when the topic or even the initial point of your post had nothing to do with that XD It's pretty endearing actually, almost as if it was a built-in feature of your online persona :P
  • db1331 - February 6, 2014 12:51 p.m.

You don't think it's fair to say that designing the game for a 7 year old console limited what they were able to do? It was a great game, easily the best console game I've ever played, but yes I do wish it had been made for PC. Then you would have higher resolution, no plummets in the frame rate when you get to one of the pretty set pieces, AA, less linearity. MODS. I'm not jabbing consoles. I have two. I also have no delusions that either are anywhere near as capable as my PC.
  • BladedFalcon - February 6, 2014 12:53 p.m.

You do realize I was mainly ribbing you, and not being serious, right? :P I know you have a point, it's just that it's ALWAYS the same point you ever make, is all XD
  • db1331 - February 6, 2014 12:58 p.m.

I know. And I love you for it.
  • Tyrlanae - February 6, 2014 12:52 p.m.

Exploration would have really screwed up the pacing of TLoU, though. Joel and Ellie weren't there to explore, they were moving with a purpose almost the entire game. I don't think PS3 or PC made a difference on that one, I think that was a conscious choice to maintain narrative structure and keep the game moving. There was a very clear intent with the direction of TLoU and a more open world had the potential to really mess it up. That's not to say that future entries in the franchise can't be open, however. We may see a different story of a different survivor who is doing just that, surviving. That has the potential to lead to a more open form of gameplay. Now that we've been introduced to the world there's myriad directions they could go from here.
  • db1331 - February 6, 2014 12:58 p.m.

There was still a fair amount of exploration in the game. I thought it was well paced with bits where you could just scavenge buildings for supplies for 10 minutes. In my earlier example about wanting to explore the woods, imagine crossing the river and walking a little ways into the woods, and finding a cabin or old campsite with a handful of supplies. That's all I mean. I don't want to go off and hunt deer or rabbits for an hour before getting back to the main plot. I'm just saying, I constantly felt like I was being funneled somewhere when I played. Speaking of scavenging for supplies, anyone played it on Survivor yet? Good lord are they stingy with the items. Finding even just some tape is enough to make you excited in that mode. It's fun not having listen mode as well.
  • BladedFalcon - February 6, 2014 1:28 p.m.

I have, I platinum'ed the whole game, actually. And yeah, it's a very different experience in that move, makes it feel as if even hard more was not much more than training wheels for this mode. And yeah, they are super stingy with craft items. So much so that if you want to have enough shivs to open every locked door, you have to pretty much avoid ever using a shiv to actually attack or kill an enemy during the entire game, or create bombs or anything that uses the materials needed to create shivs for that matter XD
  • db1331 - February 6, 2014 1:34 p.m.

Haha, yeah it's funny that my first time through the game I was having to leave ammo behind because I couldn't carry any more, and I would craft items just so I could pick up more materials. Now I'm walking around with 4 bullets and a roll of tape. I'm actually having an easier go of it this time around, but only because I know the game mechanics and enemy spawns. But yeah, I'm stingy as hell with my shivs. First time through I shived just about every clicker I came across. Now I sneak by them unless I absolutely have to kill them. And even then, I round 2 or 3 up by throwing a brick and then chuck a Molotov at them.
  • Timstertimster - February 6, 2014 5:37 p.m.

I have that frustration with Killzone Shadowfall on PS4. Awesome set views and no way to explore any of it. Real shame.
  • sephex - February 6, 2014 12:09 p.m.

It's interesting though that you didn't mention Arkham Asylum. Which to day stands as the better game and if Arkham City is better it is only because of the upgraded weaponry and bigger storyline not the freedom it offers.
  • sephex - February 6, 2014 12:02 p.m.

I always lose it halfway through your articles.
  • SpadesSlick - February 6, 2014 11:54 a.m.

Completely agree. I have never minded linearity in games as I find I enjoy the direction and purpose it gives you. Probably the reason I didn't mind FF 13 while the rest of the internet did. Open world is best to dick around in, but I have so many games I want to tackle I just like to experience the main features and get on to the next one.