• slimjim441 - May 25, 2012 1:37 a.m.

Redeads gave me nightmares when I was a kid... I think Super Metroid would also qualify as pretty gruesome. I mean, on death, your armor exploded, exposing Samus to the (apparently horribly) toxic atmosphere of Zebes where she immediately disintegrated. Hardcore. Just saiyan.
  • ObliqueZombie - May 25, 2012 1:26 a.m.

I'm glad I got to return to this article, thanks to the your Facebook page. There are some fucked up games out there, namely Waxworks and Heart of Darkness. I seriously shuddered at some of them. The blank stares... those cold, lifeless stares...
  • Tasty_Pasta - November 29, 2010 7:04 p.m.

This was a good list, but it could've used some Laura Bow.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 29, 2010 3:33 p.m.

So glad to see Cannon Fodder on there; a clever old game that didn't get half the attention it deserved. I remember that hill getting full really fast; ambushes, traps, and plenty of ways to die that could only be avoided by repetition and memory...poor Jools.
  • kangaroocory - November 29, 2010 12:15 a.m.

i was watchig the waxworks video and my freind walks in and goes, "What the hell are you watching!?" Right at the spikes part. Ouch.
  • SwampRock - November 28, 2010 11:20 p.m.

Now I know some games I need to play...
  • Assassin297 - November 28, 2010 4:39 p.m.

Those death animations from Heart of Darkness remind me a lot of Limbo. Weird that death animations like that, relatively free of blood and gore, are more disturbing to me than anything out of Gears of War.
  • guiarherodrummer1998 - November 28, 2010 4:18 p.m.

creepy.
  • Nap1400 - November 28, 2010 2:17 a.m.

Does this amount of spam always happen during the Christmas season?
  • slowdrum13 - November 28, 2010 12:03 a.m.

hey goshops.org, learn english you communist chinamen
  • slowdrum13 - November 28, 2010 12:02 a.m.

super mario 64 is not retro, it was only 14 years ago. i have wines older than that.
  • PureSpirit - November 27, 2010 11:56 p.m.

O_o The Kirby death was so creepy! I never knew that was possible in a retro video game...
  • Clovin64 - November 27, 2010 8:13 p.m.

That Waxworks game is horrifying. And I watched the entire video. Scary stuff.
  • Smurftastic - November 27, 2010 6:09 p.m.

I played through Mario 64 and never drowned, actually I didn't think that Mario would because that seemed graphic for a Mario game compared to the deaths in older versions.
  • MikeT - November 27, 2010 5:27 p.m.

I really don't get the whole shoe spamming thing on video game websites. Who do they think they are fooling?
  • bloodyshadow - November 27, 2010 3:06 p.m.

Holy shit... Adbots GALORE!
  • bloodyshadow - November 27, 2010 3:05 p.m.

I think it's crazy that no one ever mentions the "Mustard gas" death in Mario 64. It's WAY worse than the drowning. I was actually shocked when I first saw it. The way he falls back, covers his mouth and then twitches until he dies is just.... HORRIBLE!
  • philipshaw - November 27, 2010 1:56 p.m.

I do remember the Mario 64 drowning being a bit graphic. But how in the hell is heart of darkness a E for everyone game?
  • humpiedumpie - November 27, 2010 8:27 a.m.

I hate the Zelda zombies, most of the time they are no problem to kill at all, but sometimes, when one is humping you the other zombies will be waiting to hump you afterwards. Like a humping train...wait what?
  • Overlord153 - November 27, 2010 5:46 a.m.

I couldn't watch that whole Waxworks thing because i don't want nightmares when I go to sleep. @LIKEUCARE The article says retro games for a reason.