Techland has released a new patch for the console versions of Dead Island, which the developer promises will improve stability and network performance while tweaking the gameplay for an optimal zombie-offing experience. Most of the fixes in the new patch are the same as those introduced for PC players last month, but being as that update gave players more to do and a smoother time doing it, that's no bad thing at all.
Dead Island diehards will perhaps be happiest about the extra ten levels added to the game's level cap, together with tweaks and boosts to the game's XP allotments in general. There's also new weapon mod blueprints and improved rewards to be found about the levels.
Here's the complete fix list from Techland, which will helpfully fix enough so that the developer can start working on new content, instead of fixing the stuff that shipped sort of broken:
- Level cap raised to 60
- New blueprints for weapon mods added
- Infected damage reduced
- Infected no longer interrupt player attacks
- A series of improvements to subsequent playthroughs implemented:
- quest XP rewards adjusted
- XP rewards for challenges adjusted
- in subsequent playthroughs XP is awarded for all quests completed in co-op
- Purna’s ammo carrying capacity increased by 50%
- Character state from a save game can now be loaded when using the Start from Chapter option
- New balancing option added: enemy levels can now be adjusted independently for each co-op player
- Players respawn with more health
- Picklock skill level required to open a lock is now clearly indicated
- Improved rewards in weapon crates
- All weapon crates now contain rewards
- Kick ability balanced, now requires stamina
- Items can now be picked up instantly; this is reflected in adjusted animations
Fixes and interface improvements
- Fix: players are no longer left without a weapon after dropping the equipped item and healing with a medkit.
- Fix: equipped items no longer swap mysteriously after drinking an energy drink
- Tweak: healing with medkits from inventory works better, makes smarter choices of medkits
- Fix: loot from dead enemies is now always identical for all co-op players
- Fix: Purna no longer finishes her Fury with fists equipped
- Fix: map tracking after death
- Fix: zone info in the quarantine zone (City of Moresby)
- Tweak: respawn point selection is now smarter
- Improved stability and network performance in co-op
- Quest and reward fixes implemented
Earlier this month, we started hearing rumors of a Dead Island sequel, with Techland registering the trademark for something called Dead World. Before work starts ramping up on this all-but-inevitable sequel, though, there's still plenty of Dead Island left to go around, with the game's first DLC, Bloodbath Arena, due later this month for any survivors still enjoying the cleanup on Banoi.