We Recommend

• ZhugeLiang - June 15, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Praise the sun!
  • winner2 - June 15, 2012 6:06 a.m.

Another reminder that I havn't beaten this, awesome. I need to beat it so I can be up to speed when this stuff comes to consoles, cause Artorias seems impossible just from knowing that the huge sword that wolf used was his.
  • Imgema - June 14, 2012 4:33 p.m.

The great thing about Dark Soul's difficulty isn't how tough the enemies or the bosses are. There are many games with tough enemies out there. Like Ninja Gaiden 2 for instance. The great thing about Dark Souls is that there is a complete absence of hand holding. There is NONE of it. They throw you in this virtual world and you have to figure everything out for yourself. There are no arrows to show you the way, the world is non-linear etc. There are tons of secrets and stuff to find, but everything is so well hidden so only with effort and dedication you will be able to see everything in the game (unless you use guides). Thats what's so magical about this game. In comparison, any other modern game feels non-interactive where you sit passively, pressing the buttons to see the next cutscene or you just follow its commands to reach the credits. Dark Souls is PURE gaming.
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2012 3:14 p.m.

"A lot of my colleagues get to Anor Londo and find that’s where [their wall is], and they can’t get any further past that. " *grins* hehehe... i know EXACTLY what the "wall" he's referring to here is. And yeah, it a hard part, but it was probably my biggest satisfaction in the game when I was able to overcome it. (Without the help of any other players or NPCs, I might add.) Anyway, considering there's probably going to be a while before we see another "souls" game. (If ever, though thanks to it's sales, I hope we will.) So this new content is sounding like a great excuse to go back and play the game again. Specially because it does sound like a pretty substantial expansion. (3 new areas and 4 bosses is nothing to scoff at in this game.)
  • Rub3z - June 14, 2012 10:40 p.m.

Haha... oh yeah. I know what you mean, too, man. Gosh... that was so hard that after that I stopped playing the game altogether for what must have been months. The wall in question felt like what easily could have been a final boss in any other game. But then I picked it up again later - after my hard drive bricked and I had to start all over again :( - and got past that part, and it seemed like a whole world just opened right up. There was so, so much more stuff to do. Dark Souls just kicks ass, period. Oh and btw... pretty funny, actually... I've picked up Lollipop Chainsaw and I'm switching between playing these two games. Isn't that crazy? Completely different aesthetics, but they're games that both have amazing boss fights... for totally different reasons. I'm pretty sure Lollipop Chainsaw should win an award for the best multi-tiered boss fights I've ever experienced. They have to be seen to be believed. Not best boss fights ever, mind. But certainly some of the best multi-tiered ones by far. Games in the running for the best boss fights would probably certainly have to include Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus, No More Heroes (I only played the second one), and something by Platinum Games (really, just about anything by Platinum will do). But the argument about best singular boss fights (not which title has the best ones) gets a whole lot more complicated... there are definitely some entries from the Zelda series that would have to be included in that one...
  • Rub3z - June 14, 2012 10:47 p.m.

I kind of forgot to give mention to any shooters that could be in the running for best boss fights. There are some really memorable boss fights from the Half-Life series, for example. Or Serious Sam. That's a good one. Yeah.
  • BladedFalcon - June 15, 2012 5:43 a.m.

Well, personally, that "wall" was way harder than the actual final boss XD Only other thing that came close after was the last boss in Lost Izalith.
  • larkan - June 14, 2012 1:52 p.m.

We need to be a little more specific with our petitions next time, as we're getting a shitty port of this game. No graphical options, no 1080p, all the old glitches, bugs, and framerate issues from the console version, and GFWL. This is only going to make people want to pirate it, and not spend $60 on a ported, rushed piece of shit.
  • db1331 - June 14, 2012 1:59 p.m.

This. I was going to buy it on day 1 even though I have it on PC and have already beaten it. I just wanted to support them in bringing a fantastic game to PC. Not if they can't even be bothered to put the least amount of effort into it though. No excuse for a PC game to be capped at 30fps.
  • ParagonT - June 14, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Yeah, 30fps and lower resolution is pretty bad when on a platform that can handle much more.
  • gazzc - June 15, 2012 10:29 a.m.

I can handle lower res textures, I can fix a motion sickness inducing fov with third party software, I can dust off an xbox controller if that's what the game is balanced for and GFWL really is not THAT big of an inconvenience, but if it is capped to 30fps there is no way I am buying. I am a PC gamer and I did not spend serious money on top end hardware to play games at 30fps. I paid out good money so I can run all my games smoothly at 60+fps and no matter what you console boys think, I can see the difference.
  • Rainbow-Carnage - June 14, 2012 4:02 p.m.

Shitty port??? There are three new areas, four new bosses, and a bunch of new armor weapons and items. I guess you just can't please some people.
  • BladedFalcon - June 14, 2012 4:22 p.m.

Them PC fan-boys care more about their precious specs and technical hullabaloo, rather than actual content. It's the way they are, let them be XD
  • larkan - June 14, 2012 10:39 p.m.

It's not about being a fan boy, it's about using things to their full potential. There is a reason I buy some games on my PC and not my PS3 like Just Cause 2, RE5, Dead Space, Mass Effect any FPS imaginable...they play better on the PC. I don't like wasting money on games that are shipped as turds with a slight polish, simple as that.
  • BladedFalcon - June 15, 2012 5:27 a.m.

Well it was either that, or the PC wasn't getting a port at all. And they aren't giving a worse version than the original product, but pretty much the same one, only, with you know, more content. If for you that's a shitty thing, which it clearly is. It only goes to prove my point right. You guys care more about specs than actual gameplay and content.
  • ObliqueZombie - June 15, 2012 9:06 a.m.

I agree, at least we're getting it, but it's kidna like getting that game the original Xbox had on the cusp of the 360, and then they re-sold for the 360--same price and all--with the same graphics and problems, instead of optimizing it. It's just a bummer to know they're not gonna flesh it out as much as it could. Alas, I already have it for my Xbox, and it's still one of the coolest and best RPGs I've ever played. I can't really say it's horrible on the console, even bad at all. It still just a bit of a slap in the face knowing people with nice rigs can't play it and optimize it the way all PC games are.
  • ParagonT - June 15, 2012 12:26 p.m.

I have to say, if content and game-play is all that matters, then we wouldn't be upgrading systems. Higher graphics and specs can really put you in suspension of disbelief more so than lower specs. Another thing is that I'm sure that judging by what I've read around the inter-web, people would rather have an optimized game molded for the system than a dlc weaved into it. Gamers who play PC did not choose the content over specs, it was not an option, so I think that entitles them to be able to dislike it. Anyway, they stated they will be giving minimal mouse and keyboard support because they say they have fine tuned the game for controllers. Which is funny, because if the gamer who plays on PC did not have an Xbox, why would they think they would have one laying around? I think some people (not saying you) does not understand the idea of getting ports because consoles have always been the focus as of late.
  • gazzc - June 15, 2012 10:37 a.m.

That is probably true to some extent, they would have been better off spending the dev time making extra graphical tweaks instead of new bosses. I know so many people who will not buy this just because it is expected to be poorly ported. If they made the mistake of thinking PC players want the same thing as console players then they must deal with the consequences. They could have just thrown in DX11, FXAA, high res textures and an adjustable FoV and the whole PC community would be dying to get their hands on it.
  • Shadow Of Death - June 14, 2012 6:55 p.m.

And...Console players are getting that content eventually too. I'm not saying I won't get the PC edition personally, but in terms of quality ports, this game will be really low on the list. One will need some good hardware to counter (to a degree) the shittiness of this port. They're new to this, but why couldn't they at least use the PS3 textures (which are better)? It's either laziness (Can't be arsed), incompetence (don't know how), or some weird legal reason (Textures appear on the PS3 version, so they can't appear on any other version?). I hope at least, they release this game at reduced price point (Any higher than the standard PC price of $50+tax would be a bit much for a late port with some timed DLC added. $40+tax would be much more agreeable). I can only hope that the next 'Souls' game will come out on PC at the same time as consoles, and they'll know better how to do it then.
  • CrashmanX - June 14, 2012 4:52 p.m.

Oh I'm sorry. Next time we just won't make a petition that better for you? It's not really a "Rushed POS" so much as they've said it before, THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Have you ever played any other From Software game? None of them are designed for PC, they never have been. This is their first experience of coding something for PC, cut them some slack. So go ahead, pirate it. I'm still buying my copy for $60 on day one in hopes that they release more PC titles and improve on what they've been doing. They're not EA ya know, they do learn from what they've done.