Topics

Nintendo

• Japanaman - March 25, 2011 8:07 p.m.

CNN: Claiming Nintendo's Null & Void.
  • Japanaman - March 25, 2011 8:06 p.m.

I'd like to poke that guy with a stylus until he declares the 3DS the "Must-Have Gaming Device of the Decade." and even I don't think it's that great of a device. First of all. that look is not 1990s. It's 1980s as in Dual Screen Game & Watch and remember this buddy... 1980s stuff is popular again! It has black and blue which is so 80s and the stylus and cartridges have been around during the DS line. Also, the Nintendo console is something to last! The reason for iPods breaking in one year? New iPods! Nintendo doesn't release a console every single year so you don't have to spend $200 every single year on a new iPod. So: Nintendo in 5 years? $249.99. iPod Touch in 5 years? $1,175.00 and that's the cheap one. He is the reason people hate CNN, gamers in general, and why 3D will die. Thanks a lot man, for killing Nintendo. I hope you're happy playing your Halo. And you know what? Halo is like Xybots or Berzerk or Wizard of War. It's based upon 1980s game design too.
  • Aletheon - March 25, 2011 8:02 p.m.

I truly hate guy's like this. He is one of those super shallow and trendy human beings that are little more than robots with pre-approved opinions and zero creativity and personality.
  • Omrikon - March 25, 2011 7:52 p.m.

Well it makes sense why CNN chose this guy to do the review for this, since JP Mangalindan is apparently a writer-reporter for Fortune Tech, which is an affiliate of CNNMoney.com. He's actually done numerous articles on consumer tech and trends, which in my book makes him an officially licensed tech blogger. Nonetheless, I don't think he's approaching this with the proper perspective. Despite the advances in mobile tech, mobile gaming is still very unremarkable, with games like Angry Birds making millions simply by being a decent catapult game with nicely drawn graphics. This means that until things change, portable gaming systems like the 3DS (and maybe the NGP) are the end-all be-all of QUALITY portable gaming. Most of his gripes with it are quasi-justifiable at best. Issues like pricing and battery life are so common and expected that it's like complaining that rain is just too moist. Newly released systems are always expensive, and with it having 3D capability without the use of glasses, it would have been a miracle for it to have great battery life too. As for the design, it is pretty much the same thing Nintendo has been using since the DS, so though not especially innovative, who cares? I can't really find anyone who thinks the layout and the presence of solid buttons for playing is somehow inferior to the current state of affairs with the mobile gaming touchscreen model. Still, maybe there's a glimmer of a point in the midst of all of this. It's entirely possible that mobile tech will continue to advance to the point where it can integrate mobile gaming to the same degree it has with stuff like taking photos, listening to music, reading ebooks, and providing directions. But I honestly don't see it happening for a while, since as all technophiles SHOULD know, videogames are amongst the most hardware intensive things that computers in general have to deal with. Sure, mobile phones and tablets can handle Bejeweled and World of Goo, and if approved by companies like Nintendo, could easily run emulations of older systems like the Sega Genesis or the Super Nintendo. But they most assuredly are not yet capable of handling the types of games that modern portable systems feature, which is pretty much the entire reason that the portable systems are created and sold.
  • maltba63 - March 25, 2011 7:52 p.m.

How in the world can he compare a gaming system to a phone/mp3??? Somebody needs to shoot that man.
  • PolarBearsInHeat - March 25, 2011 7:48 p.m.

He looks sorta asian too. But of course, he can't be, because he knows nothing about nintendo
  • tuomotaivainen - March 25, 2011 7:48 p.m.

*Learn2DoResearchNoob I should Learn2Spell XD (sorry for double post)
  • Nintygameplayerperson - March 25, 2011 7:47 p.m.

If that day comes where a mainsteam news reporter knows what the hell he or she is talking about when it comes to video games, the world will end.
  • tuomotaivainen - March 25, 2011 7:47 p.m.

JP Mangalindans facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/jpmanga Go ahead and send him your hateful "Learn2DoResearchNood" messages!
  • Amnesiac - March 25, 2011 7:46 p.m.

Research? Him look on box back!
  • rabidpotatochip - March 25, 2011 7:43 p.m.

Actually, I have a plausible theory: this guy is from the future. He's come to deliver a warning that an entire generation of gamers will grow up on Halo if we don't do something soon!
  • db1331 - March 25, 2011 7:40 p.m.

LOL. I just watched the video. Not only did he say he grew up on Halo, but he said he was a hardcore gamer because of it. WOW. That is the funniest shit I have heard in some time. You are not hardcore because you played a game they sell at 7-11. You are a slave to marketing and hype. That's why he's an Apple fanboy too. Let's bash the 3DS for not doing something innovative while praising the iPhone and iPod touch.
  • therawski - March 25, 2011 7:39 p.m.

This is the reason I get all my news from Gamesradar.com!
  • SirNinja - March 25, 2011 7:35 p.m.

One wonders how this guy's review would have changed if the proposed Halo DS game (remember that?) came to fruition. (For one, he'd probably know a lot more about the history of cartridges and styli in Nintendo handhelds...)
  • Alroos13 - March 25, 2011 7:34 p.m.

"Hardcore gamers, like myself, who have grown up on Halo..." Yeah, I guess I'm a casual gamer who grew up on Zelda and Castlevania.
  • WarWasp - March 25, 2011 7:31 p.m.

Is he forgetting that the Wii sold for $250 at launch? This guy is a jackass.
  • theretrofish - March 25, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Man, I guess I don't need a 3ds anymore now that I know what a piece of crap it is.
  • DeeEss - March 25, 2011 7:22 p.m.

Wait! This one has a stylus?! What will they think of next?
  • tomthespesh - March 25, 2011 7:21 p.m.

If he "Grew up on halo" shouldn't he be like 10? I'm 19 and I would say I grew up on Mario 1, 2 & 3 for the NES and games on the N64. But yes in concurrence with GR the guy is a fool and so is CNN (are they usually bad? I don't watch it as I'm the wrong side of the pond)
  • Z-man427 - March 25, 2011 7:19 p.m.

Th iPhone/iPad/Touch are fairly robust platforms for game apps. However, these apps are usually fairly limited, save for a few. They're the games that you play on the crapper or at the DMV to pass the time. They're not games that you sit down to play for hours on end like those put out on Nintendo handheld systems, IE; Pokemon or any of the rest of the wealth of handheld RPGs on their systems for that matter. The bottom line is that they're two completely separate platforms and shouldn't be compared as such. Yes, there are some small similarities such as gaming wherever you want to, but that doesn't mean they're competitors. I do have an iPod Touch and I enjoy the game apps, but as I said before, they're not the big engrossing "play for hours" types of games that are often released on Nintendo's handhelds. That said, I will be buying a 3DS as soon as I can get my hands on one.