• Mike657 - March 14, 2012 2:44 p.m.

I absolutely love everything about Mass Effect, literally everything in the series, except for two things: the From Ashes DLC, and the ending. I've heard pretty convincing proof that a good portion of From Ashes is actually buried in the code somewhere, indicating that at least some of it was made way before certification, but whatever. Ten bucks isn't a problem for me, and I liked the DLC, so I can get over it. I think the ending (Everything onward from the star-child's "Wake Up") is broken in multiple ways. For one, its reminiscent of classic sci-fi like 2001: A Space Odyssey, and not at all suited (in my mind) for Mass Effect. The child being the same one from Shepard's dreams is never given the slightest explanation, and like many point out, your choices prior to the last five minutes have no bearing on the ending except for your number of options. Plus, there's no closure on the characters or the rest of the galaxy. Heartfelt goodbyes BEFORE the ending don't cut it for me, we have no idea what happens to them or what the aftermath of your decision/sacrifice is. But I can overlook all that. It's their story, they can go where they want with it. What genuinely angers me about it is that it literally does not make sense. The child's stated reason for using the Reapers is to impose order on chaos. The chaos being that advanced organics always create synthetics that always rebel, and will eventually destroy all organics. So, in order to prevent this, the star-child.....creates a race of synthetics that wipe out all advanced organic life. Sure, they "store" them in Reaper form, but genocide is genocide. It's the stupidest, most hypocritical reasoning I've ever heard, especially since I had the Geth fighting with my fleet of organics just outside the Citadel. Are we really supposed to believe that the best way that an apparently God-like being can come up with to keep the peace is to kill everyone capable of fighting? I have no problem with an ending I don't like personally, but I do require them to make sense.
  • Mike657 - March 14, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Oh, right. There's also zero explanation as to how your crew got back on the Normandy from Earth or what the hell it was doing flying away from the most important event ever while Shepard was still on the Citadel. That also bugs me.
  • nukehugger - March 14, 2012 6:12 p.m.

What about the indoctrination theory? I don't think that was their plan all along, but it explains some of those things. If you have 5000 usable war assets and chose destroy you wake up with Shepard alive, and if the theory is true, free of indoctrination. I won't go into major detail because you can just look it up on the Bioware forums, but I'll explain a little. Shepard is around reapers all the time, after you get hit with the beam everything is odd, the Reapers created the Citadel and had the things colored deceptively as a safeguard. I'm not saying they planned it, but its the best explanation as of late.
  • AxiamWolfe - March 14, 2012 7:32 p.m.

I haven't bought or played the game after hearing all the negative feedback coming from the internet, but I personally want to believe in the indoctrination theory. It's the only way I can make sense of the endings otherwise. The theory goes a bit meta, but there is some evidence to support it. Whether you want to believe in it is, of course, your own choice.
  • IsaacShadow - March 14, 2012 2:17 p.m.

I ain't over the endings but there was no sense of closure. And certain parts didn't make sense. Like the Normandy fleeing even after Shepard stops the Reapers.
  • Diosjenin - March 14, 2012 1:51 p.m.

I love how he says "polarizing" as though opinion is split down the middle.
  • thing1amc - March 14, 2012 1:51 p.m.

I (and a pretty fair majority of fans and critics) actually love the ending, though I understand why its so divisive. I'm not really sure how they could possibly incorporate so many decisions like people are asking for, though. And honestly they don't owe their fans anything. They've provided this amazing journey, so I think fans should just be happy. I think the reason that responses online have been so negative is that people that hate the ending are more inclined to complain over the internet, rather than those who love the ending to praise it.
  • elilupe - March 14, 2012 12:21 p.m.

I have a problem with this explanation Bioware is throwing out. If this were a game like Journey, or Shadow Of The Colossus or something, which is thoughtful and emotional, the answer, "The ending is supposed to be strange so it is open to interpretation" would make sense to me, and I would accept it. However, this isn't about Journey or Shadow Of The Colossus, this is Mass Effect 3, a game in which you kill hundreds of aliens and humans and bang hot alien chicks. People are not playing ME3 for it's abstract ending that doesn't give any closure, they are playing for the thrills a giant space epic can give them. Bioware, stop just saying you are listening to the fans and actually stop to listen.
  • mothbanquet - March 15, 2012 7:21 a.m.

Exactly. The ending just doesn't FIT. The ME series has always given us a universe that is rich and, in a lot of ways, believable. Abstract symbolism and hypotheticals has never factored into it and it doesn't fit now. All they needed to have was a Return of the Jedi-style galactic party...
  • samsneeze - March 14, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Wasn't listening to the fans how we got here in the first place? I think. Maybe I'm mistaken.
  • samsneeze - March 14, 2012 12:39 p.m.

The thing that upset me the most about the ending was the lack of an actual boss. I've been playing games for a long time and I expect there to be an end boss dammit. Interactive cutscenes are not that fun or engaging. Even though the previous two game's bosses were jokes, I still thought they were fine and at least trying to change up the monotony of the game's enemies. I lol'd when that one guy said Mass Effect 3 had really great Multiplayer. [SPOILER] Also, the old man telling the little boy about Shepard's sexual escapades is pretty hilarious.
  • badgraphix1 - March 14, 2012 1:06 p.m.

It seems nowadays that Bioware/EA defends every poor decision they make.
  • Hydr0ponicK - March 14, 2012 12:11 p.m.

So from reading all the comments on this issue it seems to come down to people hating Bioware but willing to forgive them through DLC. I bet that DLC will cost money which may have been EA's plan all along. If you fanboys get pissed at a product then stop buying/supporting it. Upcoming DLC would be a good start...
  • Predinator2 - March 14, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Bioware's writers have a right to put in any ending they want to THEIR story. Heck Liara could have been a reaper agent and murdered everybody and we still would have no right to complain.
  • Bloodstorm - March 14, 2012 1:06 p.m.

You always have a right to complain, they just have a right to not care about the complaining. Wouldn't be smart of them, but it is their choice.
  • OD-Apache - March 14, 2012 11:20 a.m.

We are questioning the game, but for all the wrong reasons. He's still skirting the issue, they'll fully comment in a week or so...I hope.
  • sh33phead - March 14, 2012 11:07 a.m.

Fans: "Why BioWare, Why!? We loved you! We trusted you! How could you do this to us, please for the love of God make it all better, tell us it's all just a devastating publicity stunt". BioWare: "Deal with it" *shades*
  • larkan - March 14, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Of course Bioware isn't going to change the ending, they lured us in with the promise of something great, took our money, and gave us the reach around. They'll continue this trend with DLC, as we'll end up getting 4 or 5 $10 DLC packs that will help "flesh out" the endings I'm sure. The answer is simple people, quit buying games if you're tired of getting screwed out of your money. This is a business, creating a product and selling to us, the customers. There is no express written guarantee that we will enjoy the endings, or the gameplay, or the shitty looking animations. They've already made their money, and know that even if the ending was crap, the sheeple will flock to their next game and make them millions more. So really, if you bought the entire ME series, and are now pissed about the ending, you really have only yourself to blame for wasting your money. Learn from your mistakes and think twice before preordering that next super awesome game you've read so much about.
  • usmovers_02 - March 14, 2012 4:12 p.m.

ME 1, 2, and 3 are great games with great stories and characters. The ending sucked for many people. Does that suddenly mean we all wasted our money? No. We got 60-80 hours of awesome games with lots of replayability. So the ending is anticlimactic. The series still rocks and I'm currently doing a 1-3 playthrough despite not liking the ending.
  • Tispower - March 14, 2012 10:48 a.m.

Also thanks GR for keeping opinion out of it unlike Kotaku (Grrrrr) :)
  • n00b - March 14, 2012 10:17 a.m.

so... is is as a wtf ending as Evangelion have not started yet ME3 btw
  • mothbanquet - March 15, 2012 7:23 a.m.

At least Eva got messed up before 5 mins from the very end so you (sorta) knew what you were in for.