Topics

ESRB politics

• JarkayColt - January 18, 2013 4:21 a.m.

Being in the UK, I already have to put up with this, but I agree it's a silly idea. I don't really have a much of a problem with a law which states that every game needs to have a rating (as people need to be aware of the sort of content in a game) but they shouldn't have their power of discretion infringed upon. By which I mean, if a 16 or 17 year old feels like they're at a mature enough level of understanding to play an 18/M game, then that should be their choice. As people have said, this won't stop these games being 'bought' by children, as children never buy these games anyway. If a parent & child go into a store to buy a mature game, their intentions should be questioned regardless of whether the staff are legally obliged to do so or not. Just make sure the parents are aware so they can use their common sense. Also, in my case, I can longer buy 18 games from a store, because I always get blockaded just because I don't look 18 and don't have a legitimate piece of this vague concept known as "ID" (for most people who don't have a driving license, you're a bit scuppered; I have a bunch of student identity cards WITH MY AGE ON THEM which apparently doesn't cut it!) However, there's nothing then stopping me from buying the games I'm entitled to buy online from the SAME RETAILER, where they suddenly have little to no checks in place. Pretty barmy if you ask me. And people shouldn't really have to prove their identity every time I just want to buy a piece of harmless entertainment. Like many problems, it's just about EDUCATION.
  • steinmetz - June 30, 2014 3:28 p.m.

It harms alright it harms the community in which we all play I don't want to play games with a bunch of snot nosed little brats with a mouth that would make a sailor go "Damn!"
  • CrashmanX - January 17, 2013 11:44 p.m.

On one hand I can see this being a good idea, in theory. On the other hand I can see this only hurting indie game developers and such while not effecting the sales of major titles in the least. Let's face it, when Jimmy or Susie wants to buy CoD or whatever M rated game, they tell Mommy or Daddy that they want it and if they don't get it they'll die. Then Mom/Dad buy it because they don't want to deal with the kid crying and TA DA. A squeeker on XBLA, Steam, PSN, or wherever, is born!
  • shawksta - January 17, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Okay Hopefully it gets the employees to say no to lone mothers and fathers who were told by their children what games to get.
  • Hobogonigal - January 17, 2013 8:09 p.m.

In Australia we run by a system where if a game is R 18+ or MA 15+, only people of that age or above can buy that content. I don't see how it doesn't make sense, if this wasn't the case then five-year olds could go into a shop and buy a bunch of extremely violent R 18+ games. If parents want to buy the games for their kids then that is fine, but it is another way of ensuring that more power is given to the parents when making decisions. Then again, I got a Nintendo 64 when I was 3 and was playing games like Goldeneye, Ocarina of time and lylatwars by the time I was 5 and I don't feel like shooting people up...
  • oryanbelt - January 17, 2013 7:41 p.m.

The only thing that this bill would do is limit small game creators just like the article stated. There are so many ways around this for what they are trying to implement it for. On an off note, whats the big difference between 17 and 18 years old that they need to separate them in their own ratings? I can understand the need for 'AO' rating for games with explicit content that's above the 'M' rating, but why throw in that extra year in 'AO' compared to 'M'? Every other rating before these has a large gap of time ranging 3-4 years in a persons early life, which I see the point too. Just a random thought
  • Rambo 11 - January 17, 2013 7:37 p.m.

On a side note, we Australians finally get an R 18+ rating for games since the year began.
  • masterjoe123 - January 17, 2013 5:42 p.m.

I'm over seventeen so I really don't care.
  • brickman409 - January 17, 2013 5:31 p.m.

Who is Bill?
  • masterjoe123 - January 17, 2013 5:40 p.m.

He's that one guy who ones that one company that makes consoles.
  • masterjoe123 - January 17, 2013 5:41 p.m.

*Owns
  • LordzOfChaos - January 18, 2013 2:42 p.m.

Are you making a joke or are you that stupid?
  • bebl09 - January 18, 2013 5:34 p.m.

Are you making a joke or are you that stupid? :P
  • brickman409 - January 18, 2013 7:35 p.m.

lol I'm making a joke. Its just the way the title is written, I found it funny
  • LordzOfChaos - January 18, 2013 8:04 p.m.

I know, I was making a joke too (sort of). Humor doesn't translate well on the internet
  • Person5 - January 19, 2013 10:25 p.m.

He likes to sit on the steps of city hall singing songs about what he does.
  • brickman409 - January 19, 2013 10:58 p.m.

oh I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill, and I'm sitting here on capitol hill. lol
  • C.King - January 17, 2013 4:44 p.m.

plus side maybe some more genres will strengthen since the fps are gonna cripple, enough with the soldiers and thugs as main characters! give us a new motive and way to achieve it that doesn't involve filling people with lead.
  • obviouslyadouche - January 17, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Parents could still buy games for kids, this would change nothing. It says they have similar legislation in Europe and guess what, cod still sells great there.
  • mafyooz - January 18, 2013 4:39 a.m.

Very true. I live in the UK and have an 11 year old stepson. Because both myself and his mum are into games we are well aware of the type of content that is in individual titles, so restrict what he can play (and what we play while he's in the room) accordingly. But other kids at his school, some as young as 8, have told him that their parents have bought them things like Black Ops 2 for Christmas!