• Urkrenty - April 16, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Hideo Kojima actually had nothing to do with the NES Version of Metal Gear. He even publicly expresses his hate for it.
  • carlos-daniel-pierre-resto - April 17, 2012 8:13 a.m.

He had notting to do with mg2 snakes revenge for nes with was different then mg2 on msx which he did work on. He did work on the 1st mg on nes ,but not on the 2nd.
  • mothbanquet - April 17, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Kirby's Adventure was one of the first games I played through to completion as a kid. It was pure magic, simple as that.
  • slimjim441 - April 16, 2012 4:25 p.m.

This list is supreme. I had almost all these games back when my NES still worked (RIP). The only thing I disagree with is SMB2. That game was shit and undeserving of the Mario title (which it never even was a Mario title in JP. They had the real SMB2). And Metal Gear was was kinda crapped out on the NES, but it's still a fun game.
  • J-Fid - April 16, 2012 4:14 p.m.

Even though its not the best Super Mario, I believe that Super Mario Bros. is well deserving a spot on this list. EVERYBODY knows and loves that game.
  • r200reviews - April 16, 2012 6:53 p.m.

Totally. That's the only game that I think was missed.
  • J-Fid - March 5, 2014 11:32 a.m.

Two years later and it's there! Woohoo.
  • smashpro1 - April 16, 2012 4:10 p.m.

River City Ransom is my favorite game of all time.
  • garnsr - April 16, 2012 3:52 p.m.

"Not only ability to fly the revolutionary for gameplay and level design" Huh? That doesn't sound like an English-speaker writing that.
  • mockraven - April 16, 2012 5:54 p.m.

I saw that, too. Reading it made my brain hurt. I'm surprised the editor let that one slide (if there is an editor, that is). On topic: Great list! I even got to play a few of those games. I never had a NES (it was too expensive for me when I was a kid) but I had friends who had one.
  • samsneeze - April 16, 2012 3:52 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Super Mario Bros. 3 is the best Mario Bros. game. It definitely deserves its spot on the list. I disagree vehemently with Final Fantasy being higher than Dragon Warrior III though. That just isn't right. BattleToads Double Dragon is one of my favorite things on the NES though, that and Kirby's Adventure still get lots play.
  • samsneeze - April 16, 2012 3:53 p.m.

Also, no mention of StarTropics? I'm honestly a bit disappointed.
  • Redeater - April 16, 2012 4:13 p.m.

I remembered that game fondly until I bought it for wiiware. Can't speak for anyone else but for me that game aged roughly.
  • samsneeze - April 16, 2012 4:33 p.m.

I don't know. I'd say it has aged about as well as everything else on this list. But, personal preferences and all that like you said.
  • Person5 - April 16, 2012 6:38 p.m.

a lot of the games on this list haven't aged too roughly at least from personal experience, but I never played StarTropics so I can't speak for it
  • samsneeze - April 16, 2012 7:34 p.m.

I wasn't implying that any of the games aged badly, just that they all show age some shape or form. I don't think StarTropics is any worse off than the others, in that case.
  • TheBlipi0 - April 17, 2012 7:47 a.m.

I'll give a shout out to Star Tropics too, great game..
  • Scoob - April 16, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Pretty hard to argue with this. If there was one, it would be replacing Adventure Island with part II. The first game was just a reskin of Wonder Boy from Sega.
  • Cyberninja - April 16, 2012 3:48 p.m.

I liked yoshi.
  • XanderGC - April 16, 2012 3:43 p.m.

Obviously not every game could make that list, but I am agreeing with your selections. I personally would put Bubble Bobble at the top of my list but that is just my personal preference. Besides Duck Tales gave us the Moon music and who doesn't like that?
  • Redeater - April 16, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Couldn't possibly agree more with #1. My all time fav and will remain so until I die.