• Urkrenty - April 16, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Hideo Kojima actually had nothing to do with the NES Version of Metal Gear. He even publicly expresses his hate for it.
  • carlos-daniel-pierre-resto - April 17, 2012 8:12 a.m.

He had notting to do with mg2 snakes revenge for nes with was different then mg2 on msx which he did work on. He did work on the 1st mg on nes ,but not on the 2nd.
  • Urkrenty - April 17, 2012 11:29 a.m.

"According to Kojima's account, the NES port was developed by another Konami team at Tokyo without his involvement, who were given the source code from the MSX2 version without the consent of Kojima or anyone who worked on the original MSX2 version" That's a wikipedia quote, but still.
  • carlos-daniel-pierre-resto - April 17, 2012 8:13 a.m.

• mothbanquet - April 17, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Kirby's Adventure was one of the first games I played through to completion as a kid. It was pure magic, simple as that.
  • BladedFalcon - April 16, 2012 7:29 p.m.

I still firmly believe that Megaman 3 is better than Megaman 2 *crosses and and frowns* Seriously, it has better music, the bosses are cooler, and it even has extra stages and call backs from MM2. And not to mention that it lacks that bullshit Alien Wily fight. Opinions are opinions of course, but I don't really think MM2 was perfect... Also, my opinion isn't really colored by nostalgia since i played them both for the first time in the Megaman 20th anniversary collection for the GameCube, and I played 3 right after 2, so I had them both fresh in my mind and ready for comparison.
  • AlbVega - April 17, 2012 12:20 a.m.

I have always liked 3 better as well. The spirits of MM2 bosses were a HOLY SH*T moment and a great way to imply that, in MM universe, robots are alive, an idea that books or movies often ends up looking silly.
  • Hig1134 - April 17, 2012 9:08 a.m.

I finished all 8 games in the original MM series and, even though some share your opinion, I have to disagree. Both games are fantastic, but of all the original 6 games on NES, MM2 had the cleanest graphical look. Something about the play control just felt better too. Thirdly, the music was clearly the best in MM2. The iconic theme of Metalman's level, the excellent drum part at the beginning of Woodman's level, the boss music is easily the best in the series(best of all time IMO),first stage of Dr. Wily's castle anyone?? I'm not saying you are wrong, by any means. Just a counter opinion. As a huge fan of the series...I love having these debates!! Cheers!
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 11:10 a.m.

Hah, well good! I love having debates as well, as it might have been evident in the past >> *Coughs* Anyway, I honestly don't remember right now the minute graphical details between the two games, but I honestly don't remember seeing any stark difference between them graphics-wise. Same thing about the controllers, having played them back to back, i don't really recall feeling the controls in MM3 better or worse in either way, to be honest. As for the music, I heavily disagree. You bring up Metal, which yes, is unarguably fantastic, same as the boss music. However, the MM3 intro blows any other intro out of the water by far. And Magnet's Man theme is also incredibly good. The game over Jingle was better too, and then I could also argue there are some underrated, awesome tracks as well, Such as hard man's catchy theme as well as Gemini Man's ominous one. Speaking of bosses, I still think the ones in MM· are far cooler in general. Sure, MM2 Had Metal Man and Quick Man who are both bad asses... But then you have stinkers like bubble man, an antropomorphic fat log, (Wood Man) A glorified fan with extremities, (Wind man) And a what looks like a washing machine with a head sticking out. (Heat Man) MM3 on the other hand, has a fucking NINJA. (Seriously... I think as fan favorites go, Shadow Man's one of the highest up there.)Magnet Man and Gemini Man who are also pretty badass. And while needle man's design might be a tad dubious, he more than makes it up for being the toughest son of a bitch in the game. (In my opinion, at least.) Sure, it still has some stinkers, Top Man comes into min, specially. But i honestly think the awesome/shitty ratio is in favor of MM3. And well, again, I point towards the fact that MM3 offers more content, and even calls back to some of the bosses of MM2. And to me, the final boss fights were better in MM3 as well XD So yeah. I AM willing to defend MM3 with tooth and nail here. Ball's on your court my friend!
  • Hig1134 - March 5, 2014 9:42 a.m.

AWWW...crap man. Here we are, almost two years later, and I didn't even see this reply until today. Crazy! You make great points, and I do agree with MM3 offering more content, with the MM2 boss stages. They were really challenging as well. This debate is an old one for sure. I think both games have fair arguments going for them. I actually really liked MM4 and MM5 too, while MM5 gets a generally bad rap from most. I liked it for its challenge. It's the hardest of the 6 games on NES, IMO.
  • talleyXIV - April 16, 2012 7:56 p.m.

I was literally about to scream at my computer screen because Super Mario World wasn't in here, but then I realized that it was NES not SNES.
  • aequitas13 - April 16, 2012 8:28 p.m.

Fantastic list... Jackal was the only game I remember playing the crap out of that didn't make it. Love that game and it's 2 player glory!
  • Hig1134 - April 17, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Jackal was awesome!
  • TheBlipi0 - April 17, 2012 8:14 a.m.

great list for sure... Nice one putting Adventure Island on there, when i first played it i was like "whats this Wonder Boy wannabe?" but it was really solid. I think i played thru DW3 about 4 times... same with FF. And Mega-Man 2 and Punch Out were ones i would play thru regularly, i can remember coming home from school and playing thru MM2 in a sitting many a time... i felt Gunsmoke was a pretty good arcade port too, it would be on my list
  • Hig1134 - April 17, 2012 9:15 a.m.

I must have finished MM2 1000 times....I still play it on my Wii. XD
  • SunnyvaleTrash - April 17, 2012 10 a.m.

Blades of Steel!
  • kachigop - April 17, 2012 11:02 a.m.

The editing could be a little better here, "Featuring smooth controls and slick level design, he game was praised for its smooth play control and fantastic level design", but overall a great, nostalgic list.
  • alexandre-bret - April 17, 2012 11:33 a.m.

Use to play the hell out of Bases Loaded 2 and Al Unser Jrs turbo Racing. not amazing games but they were addictive. Mega Man 3 was really good Id put it in my top 3 for sure
  • alexandre-bret - April 17, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Forgot Double Dragon 2 was amazing
  • n00b - April 17, 2012 1:20 p.m.

Typo for blaster master he game was praised for its smooth play control and fantastic level
  • ViolentLee - April 19, 2012 6:01 p.m.

Is that Hudson Hawk on the final page? WTF? Also, Mega Man 2 is so damn good. I even made a music video where Dr. Wily taunts Mega Man about how he's going to die. Go to YouTube and search You Are Going To Die Dr. Wily.
  • corey77 - September 12, 2012 7:33 a.m.

Great list.. Some of my personal Fav's not listed: Solomon's Key Castlevania Jackal Super C Rush N Attack Life Force