• through.the.key.hole - December 9, 2014 8:47 a.m.

Ubisoft had a tough year but what do you expect when you trade quality for quantity. Assassin's Creed Unity made a step in the right direction... you know because you are actually doing assassination missions, but the story was pointless in the scope of the series. (Ever since they killed off Desmond I don't even think Ubisoft knows what is happening in the series other than they need to put out one, two, or five games every year!!!) However I am a little surprised Watch Dogs didn't make it on the list. I don't understand why so many people hated it. I think it was pretty well done overall. Good gameplay, decent story, and it didn'tgave any major bugs that i saw. I thought it was a fresh approach to that type of open world urban crime style of game. Sure there was plenty to be improved upon but it kept me interested for the whole game.
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2014 10:27 p.m.

Spider tank was a major bug. Watch Dogs got game of the month back in May, and the only thing I wasn't able to do was beat the drinking mini game. There is room for improvement and an overarching sense of design by committee, but I loved the asymmetric multiplayer and flavor the hacking aspect brought to the table.
  • through.the.key.hole - December 10, 2014 8:50 a.m.

I thought the hacking was great and there were lots of fun and interesting things to do around the world. However I was left feeling like the hacking could have been taken a couple steps further... I don't have any specific ideas of how it could have been made better but I just think that if they were to make a sequel they should delve into the hacking mechanic even more and build upon it just as Arkham City took everything great about Arkham Asylum and enhanced it by 10! Overall I was very pleased with the game and had lots of fun just driving around causing mayhem.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - December 9, 2014 9:48 a.m.

The Platinum Chalice Awards were better.
  • tuomotaivainen - December 9, 2014 11:04 a.m.

Lol go figure Destiny won. I wonder how much of that $500 million went towards buying out Gamesratard to promote yet another FPS title.
  • GR_AndyHartup - December 9, 2014 11:39 a.m.

Roughly $0. Thanks for commenting.
  • GOD - December 10, 2014 12:26 a.m.

While I greatly disagree with Destiny getting top spot, I'm not consumed by confirmation bias to the point of even thinking for a moment there were payoffs. People don't go into games jarnilism for the (nonexistent) money but because the enjoy writing about games. Kudos for keeping your cool. With that being said, perhaps a GR+ community poll for GOTY would provide a more constructive outlet for people to state their favorites rather than rant about what numbers they disagree with? It could be a Platinum Chalice Award for "most highly rated by people who visit this specific site" or something along those lines. It would probably have more involvement from the sites normal traffic than just the vocal minority.
  • GR_AndyHartup - December 10, 2014 1:21 a.m.

Yup - watch the site today... We're opening the debate to you guys.
  • GOD - December 10, 2014 1:27 a.m.

GR+ showing its true colors. You've been in the pocket of big community all along.
  • brickman409 - December 9, 2014 1:44 p.m.

I just realized that you guys changed the name of the site to Gamesradar+ and now there's a section for movies and TV. It's like this place is turning into IGN. It's not a huge deal, but still kind of lame.
  • DarknessFisT - December 9, 2014 1:57 p.m.

Did not expect Dragon Age Inquisition to be the best RPG but did it actually have any competition???
  • Jacko415 - December 9, 2014 5:39 p.m.

Dark Souls 2
  • josh-coats - December 10, 2014 9:49 a.m.

Dark Souls 2 is an action game that people claim is an RPG because fantasy. The RPG competition for DA:I this year was Bravely Default, Divinity: Original Sin, South Park, and Child of Light.
  • edward-la-guardia - December 9, 2014 4:52 p.m.

Destiny at number 1? No, no, no...you guys must have been loaded when you wrote that. Not to mention putting Alien: Isolation so high and putting Mario Kart 8 and Shovel Knight so low.
  • through.the.key.hole - December 9, 2014 10:49 p.m.

After reading this list I'm trying to decide what my number 1 pick would be. I tried to play as many of the newer gamessage as possible but $60 a pop is tough on the wallet. I really enjoyed The Evil Within but there were some serious story problems and it wasn't really scary... just incredibly gory. I like Watch Dogs quite a bit but I think it needed to be a little more refined. Assassin's Creed Unity just frustrated me more than anything even though I still think it's a step back in the right direction. I honestly think the best gaming experience I had all year was P.T. I was completely mesmerized at how completely I was brought into that world... not to mentioned how terrified I was to turn the corner in that damn hallway. I think P.T. is the most revolutionary thing the game industry has ever seen. Think about the doors that this has opened and the creativity this will inspire. It was a spectacle of both marketing and design. Hands down the best thing to happen to gaming this year!!!!
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2014 11:26 p.m.

I haven't played yet, but P.T impresses me from all I've seen of it. Having the one hallway leaves so much room for detail, but because the designers didn't want to give away that it was coming from a big name studio they notched things down in some respects. So you get this perfect level of imperfection. The constant descending steps before each loop, its subtle and smart.
  • profile0000 - December 10, 2014 8:41 a.m.

I was surprised to see Destiny at the top spot. Not because I think it doesn't deserve it, but because I didn't think a lot of the GR+ staff played it. I only remember Houghton reviewed it and a couple people talking about it on RadioRadar. Looks like more staffers liked it than I thought! I totally understand people hating the game for its "lack" of content, almost nonexistent storyline, and brutal loot system, but man, if you have a couple of friends and all decide to co-op it together Destiny can be absolutely fantastic. It's such a great way to just sit back, have some colorful shootouts, and chill with some friends. Considering how many classes I skipped this semester for Destiny, I would have to agree with it being in the top spot on this list.
  • josh-coats - December 10, 2014 9:41 a.m.

Does this list not include PC exclusives? If not, then I find the omission of Divinity: Original Sin to be surprising.
  • universaltofu - December 10, 2014 12:13 p.m.

They didn't ever review it, they gave the one from last year a 'great' though.