• ZeeCaptain - May 23, 2013 2:03 p.m.

Microsoft shows one more reason that their not making a game console, their making a DVR with built in BluRay dvd player and Social Media. Oh and I suppose the left over funds for screwing gamers can be put to good use, why don't we just throw in some angry birds,
  • ZeeCaptain - May 25, 2013 4:46 p.m.

That is interesting but frankly the Xbox one doubling as a DVR was more of a plus side to some folk so you kinda just rained on a few parades. Nevertheless, the console is stacking up to be riddled with issues that should have been taken care of before being announced, and the fact that they are still with-holding information and releasing information quietly so no one notices is suspicious to say the least. Are they scared because of the negative reaction they have received so far? Same may be said for Sony as well, they've gracious enough to let MS go out on stage first and make a fool of themselves, so where is Sony, did they quickly run back home to change their act? Maybe whats eating me most is the ridiculous notion of trying to please everyone and bring in new people to the flock, its ridiculous, its a waste, you simply can't please everyone, your only going to end up pissing everyone off because no one get what they want, the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 26, 2013 5:28 a.m.

I agree, while the Kinect has always been a nagging interest, I never payed much mind to it, as it always seemed to be there for the said parlor tricks of using the social media apps and for things such as selecting movies with the flick of the wrist. I notice most of my arguments come down to social media, i'm not anti-social, though I do like to start a fight here on GR ever so often, Still whoever in console creation mistook the gamer as a social creature was sadly mistaken. I'm not abhorrently against these features, some gamers like these features, but I don't like how they are making a big deal and spending more time fine tuning the experiences for non-gamers, in the hopeless notion they can somehow attract the non-gaming community to buy a product that's main purpose is to game, if this succeeds and continues how long until the console is not about gaming?
  • larkan - May 25, 2013 9:16 p.m.

I personally think they need to offer some sort of extended warranty on these new systems. The failure rate of the first two generations of the 360 were unacceptable, and I definitely see this system filled with bargain quality parts. I know you can buy an extended warranty from the places you actually purchase the system, but I believe a show of good faith by Microsoft is needed here. I went through two 360s that were taken very good care of, and swore off on any more MS products afterwards, and I know I'm not alone here.
  • KishouTenpi - May 23, 2013 10:33 a.m.

So, all the money I've invested into downloads from YOUR service and all the games I bought for YOUR console are effectively deemed backwards? Wonderful....
  • The_Tingler - May 23, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Okay, so where exactly has he got this magic 5% figure from? They've only done two consoles before and 360 launched only offering backwards compatibility for Halo 2. I play old games all the time and I'm 99% sure that Microsoft will start releasing "Xbox Classics" on Xbox Live within a few months of launch. The Batman Arkham games in particular I'll be definitely playing several years from now. And what about GTA5 or Arkham Origins? How many gamers won't want two Xbox consoles in front of the TV, so will stick with the 360 to play the games they really want? Then there's the "upgrade" angle, which is important to me. If I can sell my 360 and replace it with an XBONE I'll gladly pick it up straight away, because I can still use it like a 360. If not, well, I won't buy it until a certain amount of exclusive must-have games build up, which will be probably Xmas 2014 at best. I bought a Wii on day one because it could play GameCube games. Short answer for you Mr Mattrick - if you had full backwards compatibility with 360 I'd buy it despite all the negatives because it'd replace my 360 completely. Now because it doesn't I will have a straight choice between PS4 and XBONE, and at the moment the PS4 is massively ahead of the game.
  • larkan - May 25, 2013 9:18 p.m.

It's simple, if they don't allow you to play your old games, they can do "mega HD" re-releases and charge you more money for upgraded textures. That's exactly what they've been doing with games from the PS2/XBOX/GC era.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 26, 2013 6:04 a.m.

It's not even that, it's stupider than that, the HD re-release would at least not be so blatantly a slap in the face, but what they'll do is let you buy your favorite, or rather what they deam your favorite 360 games are, and you can get them from their online market place, never mind you have the disc for it, that's just so much materiel for arts and crafts now. Pretty much to cut it short its what they did with the original xbox games on the 360 marketplace but worse, because you could at least put the original discs end and not bite a 10$ fee for a game that only worth a buck at gstop.
  • FAT47ITY - May 23, 2013 7:54 a.m.

So I'm backwards now, huh? I guess my money must be backwards, too. It's going back into my wallet!
  • Ensoul - May 23, 2013 7:37 a.m.

Have they mentioned anything about games from the Xbox Live arcade? What about Games on Demand? I've actually picked quiet a few retail games from their Download service and I don't even want to think about how much I have invested in the Arcade. I seriously doubt my Hard drive has the room to hold all my digital content before everything goes the Halo 2 route,
  • BarbwireTino - May 23, 2013 7:30 a.m.

I get the feeling that Microsoft doesn't like gamers. I am not going to be getting an Xbox One but I am going to suggest it to my Grandpa as he likes TV, Sports, dogs and hates video games.
  • PatHan-bHai - May 23, 2013 9:27 a.m.

dogs! Lol
  • FoxdenRacing - May 23, 2013 7:23 a.m.

I understand that emulated back-compat isn't really feasible, technology-wise...the 360 [3 cores at 3.1ghz] occasionally struggled to emulate a 733mhz Xbox. There's no way an 8 x 3.4 or so will get the job done. To support it, they'd have to put a Valkyrie chip in the One, and all the hardware to support existing peripherals [as it's suggested all your current controllers will soon be worthless], and probably have a separate OS [I'm betting what's there won't be compatible with what will be] which would drive the price up substantially. That said, it still sucks. Especially for the early adopters, and the guys that aren't like me and do mind having their entertainment centers cluttered with systems. That doesn't forgive this guy for being a smug jerk about it, though. I'm getting some serious flashbacks to Ken Kutaragi running his mouth about PS3, and we saw how well that went. From one of the best-selling systems of all time...the PS2 had a greater margin over GCN/XB1 combined [155 million vs 46 million] than Wii sold in total [109 million vs 98 million]...and PS3 is struggling to get out of 2nd place for more than a quarter.
  • wittynickname - May 23, 2013 6:50 a.m.

I find it darkly amusing when these companies try to tell the public what they want, in that passive-aggressive way that has the lurking-in-parentheses undercurrent that "you're not cool if you disagree." Like when Sony assured us that rumble was a "last generation" controller function, then noticed every corner of the gaming universe calling bullshit. And suddenly it was "well, we hear you, but it's just IMPOSSIBLE to build it into the new controller!" And everyone remotely mechanically minded called bullshit, and a few months later rumble was quietly reintroduced. Money talks, though. It doesn't even matter if the five percent figure he quotes is accurate; the console manufacturers have already noticed how we fall over ourselves to buy HD remakes and Anniversary repackaging of old games. They know we have no spine. They know we'll grumble and bitch, then hand over our wallets.
  • mothbanquet - May 23, 2013 6:14 a.m.

Wankers.
  • CUFCfan616 - May 23, 2013 4:30 a.m.

no one wants old games which is why something like good old games does terrible business...
  • PatHan-bHai - May 23, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Have you ever actually being to GOG's website........or traversed it's forums?
  • Shinn - May 23, 2013 2:16 a.m.

They'd rather spend that money making their drm more pervasive and restrictive.
  • Technodude - May 23, 2013 1:08 a.m.

Does anybody working at Microsoft even play games? What the hell kind of statement is this? I know many people that regularly enjoy playing old school titles (myself included): the reason why I still attempt to revive my 60GB PS3 now and again to play crash bandicoot and crazy taxi. It could be that I happen to know more people who use backwards compatibility regularly but there's still a market for things like this - GAME in the UK still sell PS1 games for crying out loud! For a company that just release a console that claims to do everything all the devices in your living room can do but not offer backwards compatibility, it seems a little hypocritical don't you think? Even though the PS4 doesn't technically support backwards compatibility at least Sony look like they're making an effort for the streaming service. Because they know what the console should be about - GAMES.