Topics

jrpg Square Enix

• ChiChiRocket - January 22, 2013 5:59 p.m.

Just got my hands on a copy of Radiant Historia last week. The combat is really interesting. I've found in many cases, with position manipulation, I can almost completely wipe out a group of enemies before they even get a chance to take a turn.
  • tonypang - January 22, 2013 5:34 p.m.

What??? No The World Ends With You on the list? Dual screen battles, touch screen input on one with rhythm based input in the parallel world with actions on one screen affecting the other.
  • tonypang - January 22, 2013 5:35 p.m.

Why restrict to turn based only?
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 22, 2013 5:53 p.m.

The World Ends With You was awesome, but the purpose of this article was to focus on turn-based JRPGs, so it didn't really fit. Agreed--its battle system was awesome (even if it hurt my hands a little).
  • Vistyle - January 22, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Glad to see Resonance of Fate acknowledged. While not an exemplary example of an RPG it definitely had its strong points. I just wish several higher quality games hadn't come out so I had finished it...yet another game on my backlog of Old Games Deserving Attention.
  • Nocturne989 - January 22, 2013 4:47 p.m.

I liked the Press Turn system used in Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga games. Made protecting your weaknesses and hitting your opponents much more crucial and rewarding.
  • slimjim441 - January 22, 2013 4:02 p.m.

I'd want to put Paper Mario and Fire Emblem on this list, but not really because of how unique or innovative they are. I'll admit it's just because I love Paper Mario and Fire Emblem. Good to see Mario & Luigi RPG series though.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2013 4:31 p.m.

Not to mention that fire Emblem is an entirely different genre altogether, gameplay-wise...
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - January 22, 2013 5:53 p.m.

^_^
  • slimjim441 - January 22, 2013 11:49 p.m.

It's turned-based strategy JRPG, a minor skew off turn-based JRPG. Not that wildly different. Besides, did I mention that Fire Emblem is Fire Emblem? ...sorry, I'm kind of on a huge FE kick right now while I'm waiting for Awakening to come out. Stupid Gamestop won't let me pre-order it though, the dirty fascists. My plan is to pick it up while I pay off Dead Space 3, then play it while I wait for the midnight. I'll probably just play FE all night and forget about Dead Space 3...
  • BladedFalcon - January 23, 2013 5:41 a.m.

Er... Yes actually, they ARE wildly different. RPGs are games in which battles are only a part of the gameplay, are usually very small on scale, short on length, and the rest of the gameplay is focused on other things such as exploration and/or puzzle solving in some cases. Turn Based Strategy games are largely focused on large scale battles that can potentially last hours, and that's pretty much the bulk of the gameplay. And that's without even getting into detail about the gameplay of the battles themselves, which work very differently altogether in both genres, even if they are both turn based. Not to mention, if you were to include FE here, then how about Advance Wars? Jeanne D'Arc? FF Tactics? VP: Covenant of the plume? All strategy games taht have pretty much the same kind of gameplay that Fire Emblem has. I get it that you're excited for a new FE, hell, I am too, that game is one of the main reasons why I got a 3DS in the first place, and I've been a FE fan ever since the first game came out for the GBA. But it's precisely because I like it a lot, (along with all other TURN BASED STRATEGY GAMES, Not effing RPGs like people bafflingly call them, including you GR... I haven't forgotten about you Putting X-Com alongside actual RPGs >_>) I know there's enough difference from one genre to another, and I know better than to mix them up, huge fan or not.
  • slimjim441 - January 23, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Dude, don't get your jimmies all rustled. I get that FE doesn't belong on this list. I also get that you recognize that I/we both really like FE. Now, mechanically, turn-based and turn-based strategy are relatively different; that much is true. But here's what I'm talking about: when it comes down to it, they're all still turn-based JRPGs. That doesn't mean we can through FE and Valkyria Chronicles and all that other shit in the same list as Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun, and all that, because you're right, they don't boil down to the same gameplay mechanics, but they still boil down to the same theme. You know what I'm saiyan?
  • BladedFalcon - January 23, 2013 3:07 p.m.

"when it comes down to it, they're all still turn-based JRPGs." "you're right, they don't boil down to the same gameplay mechanics, but they still boil down to the same theme. You know what I'm saiyan?" I do get what you're trying to say, I don't think I agree with it though. Mainly because I see the theme itself to be very different by nature. In a way, JRPGS are far more anchored in story and character interaction, even more so than gameplay itself. In contrast, in TBS games, the story and characters are often secondary to the gameplay or battles, even you have to admit that story or characters aren't FE's strong points, only exception to the rule here that I can think of is FF tactics. And it's just- to me, the TBS genre isn't really as linked to JRPGs as you suggest, because if so, you'd be suggesting that TBS games are mostly Japanese by nature, and as games such as X-com or Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars show us, that is simply not the case. I think you only see them to be linked or similar by association and that in general, most TBS games tend to come out from Japan, maybe, but upon closer inspection, I genuinely think they are overall separate genres altogether.
  • slimjim441 - January 24, 2013 12:29 a.m.

Point taken; then we both acknowledge that what it REALLY boils down to is the fact that I wanted to talk about Fire Emblem. Paper Mario still would have been nice to see on the list though.
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2013 5:34 a.m.

Well, you got what you wanted then, kinda? :P And well... Paper Mario is great, but pretty much uses the same basic system that Superstar saga does, so I imagine that putting both of them on the list would have felt a tad redundant XD (And, at any case, I would have put Super Mario RPG before superstar saga or paper mario anyway, since that's where the system was truly born.)
  • slimjim441 - January 24, 2013 10:52 a.m.

I personally put the Paper Mario series above the Superstar Saga series. However, Bowser's Inside Story was amazing. Unfortunately, a lot of people just forget about Super Mario RPG...
  • BladedFalcon - January 24, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Which they shouldn't, Super Mario RPG was pretty darn fantastic, and in a few aspects, arguably superior to both paper mario and mario & luigi. Anyway, regardless of which might be considered better, I think we both can agree that listing at least one of them here was enough, since really, the core of the battle mechanics IS kinda the same in all 3 kinds of Mario RPGs.
  • slimjim441 - January 25, 2013 12:40 a.m.

Agreed. Back to Fire Emblem, Ilyana is a worthless mage and should never be used in the stead of Soren. I almost feel like I ruined my game by wasting experience on her to try to make her worth while...
  • BladedFalcon - January 25, 2013 5:46 a.m.

Afraid I don't know what you're talking about. As much as I wish I could have, I haven't played either of the radiance games on consoles, the first one because it came way too late in the gamecube's lifespan, and by then I was so tired of the system's shitty game catalog that I had sold it before I even knew that game existed. And the second because it was on the Wii, and screw the Wii. Instead, how about dat FE: Awakening demo? have you tried it yet? Dunno if that was present in the console FEs, but the different difficulty settings they offer are pretty cool, and they significantly alter not just damage of units, but the amount of enemies and positioning you have to deal with. The hardest one present in the demo was simply insane.
  • slimjim441 - January 25, 2013 1:09 p.m.

I've tried my had at all the difficulties as well, I'll probably do what I usually do and stick with the second difficulty setting, typically normal. They might have another difficulty in Awakening like Shadow Dragon had, except those difficulties were like fuck hard. Also, I think it's a smart move that they're adding the casual feature. I'll never use it myself, but I think it could help bring in more new players who seem overwhelmed with the perma-death structure. I'm REALLY looking forward to Awakening, but Gamestop decided to bone me over again and not let me pre-order it because 'it's not in our system anymore.' I really don't know why I shop there anymore... Anyway, I understand the whole thing about a microscopic library for GCN and just being sick of Wii, but you owe it to yourself to play both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. They're both tremendous, and Radiant Dawn is by far my favorite game in the series. It's huge. Like, 50+ hours huge. Save data from PoR even carries over to RD, as long as you played on Normal mode. It's worth it. But Ilyana is still useless.