• brizzie - December 21, 2011 10:31 p.m.

The weapon consisted of a blade of pure plasma emitted from the hilt and suspended in a force containment field. The field contained the immense heat of the plasma, protecting the wielder, and allowed the blade to keep its shape.-Wookieepedia, seriously just look it up
  • - December 21, 2011 11:50 p.m.

So you're saying lightsabers are scientifically plausible because the Force will take care of the tough bits?
  • brizzie - December 29, 2011 3:19 p.m.

Almost everything is scientifically possible but we can't wrap our heads around any supremely advanced ideas because we are quite...primitive due to several occasions of retrogress rather than progress. But like ninja said it would just be a force not THE force.
  • gopikmin - December 21, 2011 7:51 p.m.

the force probably is what gives a lightsaber its shape. for a question, How about the science of Kirby's stomach if there is any?
  • - December 22, 2011 2:26 p.m.

Now THAT's a good question. I am totally writing that down and calling a gastroenterologist. Thanks for the question.
  • KolbitosFruitJuice - December 21, 2011 5:32 p.m.

Sci Fi Science with Michio Kaku. I thought they gave a pretty good theoretical explanation of how a lightsaber could work. Plasma based, using carbon nano-tubes as a power source. Seemed like a decent idea for one so uneducated in the ways of theoretical physics as myself.
  • ZhugeLiang - December 21, 2011 5:53 p.m.

Carbon nano-tubes... awesome...
  • Dmancapri - December 21, 2011 7:44 p.m.

That dude has a fetish for carbon nano-tubes they're in like every episode.
  • - December 21, 2011 11:48 p.m.

@Dmancapri He loves carbon nanotubes and nanomachines because nobody knows what they'll be able to do. So technically nobody can tell him he's wrong when he says nanotubes will give us lightsabers. Trust me when I say that both topics are quite a bit more mundane than he makes them out to be.
  • - December 21, 2011 11:45 p.m.

I loathe Michio Kaku. The guy's a brilliant scientist, there's no debating that. But he'll also say anything if it gets him on TV. He's made a very lucrative career by making people believe every scientific breakthrough they want to see is 5-10 years away. He's also been called out numerous times by experts in other fields asking him to stop pretending he's an expert on anything besides physics. He's been caught offering some genuinely stupid ideas on how evolution works, for example.
  • inkyspot - December 22, 2011 4:55 a.m.

I totally agree, but I still love listening to him, great for just the entertainment aspects alone.
  • gamingfreak - December 21, 2011 4:39 p.m.

Damn you science!
  • Plan10FromOuterSpace - December 21, 2011 4:36 p.m.

a thousand dollars for a plasma torch? Im sold...
  • reiku_uk - December 21, 2011 4:34 p.m.

And this article alone summarises why I love you guys...
  • - December 21, 2011 11:53 p.m.

We love you too. Seriously, we talk about it all the time and our friends are sick of hearing about it. We called you last week at 3am, but hung up before it started ringing.
  • reiku_uk - December 24, 2011 4:30 p.m.

I never knew... If I thought for a second you reciprocated these feelings I would have... I don't know what to say. My heart feels like it's going to explode... I baked you a cookie that says forever on it.