• ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 26, 2012 10:49 a.m.

Except that Sony owns Blu-Ray.
  • wicko - January 26, 2012 10:56 a.m.

Except they don't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 27, 2012 1:21 p.m.

Okay, they don't have sole ownership, but they have a large enough chunk that they could probably say no to licensing the tech to Microsoft. If I may point out the fact that Microsoft cannot make BD-playing software for PCs; you have to get a third party player to watch BDs even if your PC came with a BD drive.
  • Barnsley Pal - January 26, 2012 9:29 a.m.

You're a man who speaks a lot of sense. I agree on all points.
  • angelusdlion - January 26, 2012 9:37 a.m.

I agree. My first thought upon reading "won't play used games" can't be said here without me getting in trouble. Hint the first word was Bull... My second thought was "I'm not getting one if that's the case.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - January 26, 2012 10:54 a.m.

You can say bullshit as much as you can say fucking bloody cuntnugget.
  • Y2Ken - January 26, 2012 8:11 a.m.

Yep. Pretty much with you on all three points there Dave. Don't have too much of a problem with the online pass if it only blocks online content, anything else just screws over the people who don't have internet connections for their consoles. Ideally the solution would be just for a percentage of all used sales to go to the devs (at least for first 3 years of release say), even if it's not much compared to what they'd get on a new copy they'll still be getting their fiver and that seems fairer. Don't see it happening any time soon though.
  • MidianGTX - January 26, 2012 7:59 a.m.

How about continuing on as they have been? Stick online passes in some games. People dislike them, but they buy them anyway. If you wanna be cheap and avoid giving your money to the people who worked tirelessly to bring you the game, you should be required to cough up a little cash to use their online services.
  • Gex4212 - January 26, 2012 7:39 a.m.

While I buy most of my games New I feel that the used game market helps new IPs become popular which increases the sales of the sequel. Honestly there are a lot of games not worth $60 so the best option is to finish it and trade it in while it is still worth money. Without the used game market people would be a lot more picky about new IPs and cause many games that are known to succeed to have sequels. We would be on Resident Evil 30 and not have Dead Space , Silent Hill and such. There would be no uncharted just Tomb Raider 20. We would still be playing Crash Bandicoot
  • ultimatepunchrod - January 26, 2012 7:29 a.m.

It will not block used games. That's a seriously bad and misguided idea. Here's what publishers should do instead: release a digital version of the game on PSN/XBLA the SAME DAY as it releases in physical stores, and then charge $10 less for it online. It's a file; it doesn't cost anything to ship or package, so it's more profit for the publisher (not all profit since Sony and MS would take a slice of the revenue for the online upkeep), and gamers get a good deal.
  • MidianGTX - January 26, 2012 7:57 a.m.

With the kind of bulk packaging games require anyway, that hardly costs anything either. Certainly not $10 per game.
  • matt_bristol - January 26, 2012 3:13 p.m.

Millions of people connecting at the same time for what will probably be a 10GB+ file? That's not as simple as you think.
  • inkyspot - January 26, 2012 7:18 a.m.

I haven't bought a used game in years, but I should have that option, so if this is true regarding that I will not buy the next Xbox. Simple.
  • smurfantista - January 26, 2012 6:55 a.m.

Instead of blocking used games, why not price games more fairly and create lasting value so people don't want to trade them in? Oh right, that takes work. It's much harder to pay $60 for a game when you don't have that assurance that you could get $30 back for it in a couple of months if you don't like it or want to keep it.
  • TheElephantManchurianCandidate - January 26, 2012 6:39 a.m.

Anything that tries to stop GAME money grubbing is good in my book. I buy all my games new so this won't effect me anyway.
  • gazdog9 - January 26, 2012 6:31 a.m.

I couldn't care less about the kinect / blu ray thing but the second hand game restriction would concern me.I probably only buy a couple of brand new games a year , whereas I'd buy five or six used games
  • xarab4lyfex - January 26, 2012 6:30 a.m.

I love the kinect. It's so bad.
  • ray_gillespie - January 26, 2012 6:25 a.m.

I don't think many people consider the two-sided impact that used games have on developers - for example, I waited until I had sold my copy of World at War before I bought Black Ops. Sure, the devs lose out on money for the sale of the used copy of World at War, but they're getting a sale of Black Ops from me as a result. I definitely can't afford to just keep buying games and never selling any. Eventually digital distribution will mean the end of used games, and when that happens I'll definitely have to buy fewer games simply because I'll have less money to spend on them.
  • farreach - January 26, 2012 6:14 a.m.

well stirring the pot more i heard that the new xbox will give you a STD (even tho Microsoft has been crap and always will be)
  • Dadyo238 - January 26, 2012 7:16 a.m.

O_o
  • Joco84 - January 26, 2012 6:10 a.m.

reckon they'll implement an online-code, similar to Playstation. Anything more drastic and gamers will steer clear of the console!