• Spybreak8 - November 18, 2010 4:21 a.m.

Gotta love the checherboard background, looks like they were using Photoshop and didn't use a background haha (although I don't know if Photoshop was around/prominently used then). Those eco friendly cases suck ASSS!
  • newwavebossanova - November 18, 2010 4:18 a.m.

Hey Brett! In regards to PS2 boxes, I dunno if it's just in my case (no pun intended), but I bought Okami (got your attention?) off Capcom's official store months ago. It was the Greatest Hits version but it doesn't have the memory card holder. So it's sorta weird how PS2 boxes started without one, had them afterward, but now are back to not having them. But it might just be a specific recent batch that doesn't have them or something.
  • garnsr - November 18, 2010 4:17 a.m.

I hated it when the Genesis cases switched from plastic to cardboard. It seems like that was also around the time that instruction books stopped all being in color, and only first person games, and a few other companies', continued to be in color (except Sega, for some reason.) Today it's rare to see a color booklet, or even a booklet that has any real information in it. I heard that when Sony launched the Playstation they bought Saturn cases from Sega for the first few.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - November 18, 2010 3:46 a.m.

Such an interesting feature! Great work Brett!
  • CH3BURASHKA - November 18, 2010 3:44 a.m.

Thanks, Brett, that was really cool! I've also thought that framing box-art in a "Platinum Hits" frame is a travesty - it more or less ruins the box art by shrinking it AND fucking up the color balance. I have the same complaint for Kinect-era Xbox banners - the "white plus green swish" fucks up the balance. That Black Ops box art is fucked up royally due to the mix-and-match look. As for creativity, it is a bit sad but I think it's ultimately good, both for organization and distinction. Seeing as how now the console labeling is only on the border, that leaves plenty of room for artistic creativity - I don't see the need to start fucking with the placement of the Xbox/Kinect logo. PS Those initial NES boxes are classy as fuck - sprites in "movement", sideways title and a black background? Sign me the fuck up. I hope that Nintendo's Wii 2 repeats that box art, though I seriously doubt that will happen.
  • GayforGilbert - November 18, 2010 3:29 a.m.

Another quality article about things no one thought they wanted to know (but secretly did) from one Brett Elston. More to the topic, I really like the new 360 boxes, what with the swoosh and all, but I also, like everyone else, hate the missing slices from the case. Hopefully companies will come to their senses and stop trying to appease the "green" crowd.
  • ventanger - November 18, 2010 3:27 a.m.

I always liked the Sega CD and Saturn large plastic jewel cases, unfortunately they were fragile as hell and if the hinges didn't snap over time, the clear plastic casing did. Sorta like stained glass, beautiful and fragile.
  • GangsterJew92 - November 18, 2010 3:23 a.m.

This is why I read GamesRadar.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - November 18, 2010 3:21 a.m.

Great article brett.. but wait. Lunar was rated MA-13? I've heard it had a few mature themes, but I thought it was a more child-friendly game.
  • porjos - November 18, 2010 3:20 a.m.

Article = Badass
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - November 18, 2010 3:15 a.m.

@TDUBBS http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/08/the-story-of-ea-and-the-pirate-genesis-development-kit.ars The whole story behind EA's carts. Interesting!
  • WonsAuto - November 18, 2010 3:06 a.m.

@TDUBBS -- EA cartridges looked way different because of how their battery back-ups were designed, IIRC. I have a ton of EA Genesis games, and they all have this little yellow doohickey on the side with a lightning bolt on it.
  • bar1scorpio - November 18, 2010 3:04 a.m.

Sooo.. Imagic was a Progressive Rock band?
  • Tenfey - November 18, 2010 3:01 a.m.

I love game box-art. If only I had kept all of my game boxes throughout my life. Such a waste . . .
  • TDUBBS - November 18, 2010 2:55 a.m.

This is more of a cartridge based question, but what was the deal with EA's cartridges during the Genesis era? If I remember correctly they were much different from Sega's other cartridges.
  • Grif - November 18, 2010 2:43 a.m.

Wonderful article
  • ViolentLee - November 18, 2010 2:41 a.m.

You missed the boat on Greatest Hits-style packaging -- only mentioning it on Xbox. What about the ugly green spine and omission of disc art for PSone Greatest Hits, or the stupid red of PS3?
  • NightCrawler_358 - November 18, 2010 2:32 a.m.

Very interesting! i've always liked the DVD case sizes and it confuses me that PS3 went with a totally new hybrid. I did like the CDs but i always broke them, and now shelves are made for DVD cases!
  • n00b - November 18, 2010 1:56 a.m.

you guys got a nice selection i though i was the only one who got battalion wars on game cube
  • WonsAuto - November 18, 2010 1:56 a.m.

This is exactly the kind of aesthetic nonsense I'm obsessed with -- I do the same with sports teams' uniforms every year! As for specific feedback, I think the obnoxious blue semicircle on Move-compatible PS3 games is also worth noting. I wouldn't mind it so much but I just barely got over the fact that they changed the packaging at all.