• Darkhawk - September 9, 2010 8:28 p.m.

Mario Kart 64. Royal Raceway. Third turn, right under the end of the bridge. You can line it with bananas and other obstacles to knock people right off the course into the water. It's pretty much always deadly. Shells, Lightnings, anything: they'll do serious damage on that turn every time.
  • Doctalen - September 9, 2010 7:45 p.m.

Damn Ridge Racer was my first game for the NG4. I remember that curve well. I also remember there being another bitch curve a little bit down the track.
  • BoltActionRevolver - September 9, 2010 6:30 p.m.

@theamazingmrpotato That was to say good-by to the Honda NSX. There was a couple points where hee did find the game differend from the track
  • BoltActionRevolver - September 9, 2010 6:27 p.m.

"Seca's Corckscrew is two corners" Wheres that pussy.... Oh, right, sitting in n00b parking. People are saying "Wheres this" or "Wheres that" but it was an enjoyable read all the same. Thanks
  • foamguy - September 9, 2010 6:20 p.m.

you like racing games alot dont you?
  • RonnyLive19881 - September 9, 2010 5:50 p.m.

Where is Mario Kart's DK mountain and pretty much every F-Zero GX track? Hell Beetle Adventure Racing had better turns than the first 3 Grand Turismo's... other than that you made a fine list. If you added Snow boarding I think SSX would have had a few honorable mentions too. If there a SSX game this gen? I loved Blur for the Wii but I want a glorious HD one!
  • FoxdenRacing - September 9, 2010 5:43 p.m.

@JoeGBallad: I prefer Usui's C130 for its blind-faith turn-in [a double-apex left where the corner gets a LOT sharper at the second apex], but that's a good one. Can't believe I forgot about it! Granted, in the Initial D arcade, I mostly ran Akagi and was a rain specialist. Used to be one of the top 10 RX8 drivers in the country [3rd ed], back when I was in practice. But alas, the scoreboards are gone now and I couldn't break 1:35 anymore, let alone be flirting with 1:30.
  • NanoElite666 - September 9, 2010 5:26 p.m.

I'll always love the corkscrew section of of the Deathdrome track in Jak X. Yeah, technically not a corner since you end up doing a full circle at least once during the segment. But I'll be damned if it isn't satisfying to start at the top, kick your car into a slide, and mash the booster, and just boost slide down the entire thing. Will probably never get old. Now that I think about it, Jak X had a lot of corners that were great fun to try to boost slide through.
  • JoeGBallad - September 9, 2010 4:59 p.m.

Love the Ridge Racer hairpin. My own favourite has to be the S-curve in the high-speed section of the Akina DH (it's in pretty much every drift game ever, but most importantly it's THE Initial D track). Bugger it up and you've ruined any chance at getting the most out of the high-speed section, but get it right and you feel like a racing god. Oh, and I disagree TFUPrivateIron. Outrun 2 (2006, online, etc.) is one of the most beautiful driving games in existence. It is pure videogame gorgeousness.
  • theamazingmrpotato - September 9, 2010 4:57 p.m.

laguna secca has just been on top gear on dave. where jezza compares the GT version to real life. Co-inky-dink.
  • sklorbit - September 9, 2010 4:50 p.m.

brings back some controller breaking memories
  • BodyDamage - September 9, 2010 4:48 p.m.

that spa corner is GOOD. man its good. f1 2010 is going to be the effing tits for sure. the third to last left hander at the rock wall on deep forest in gran turismo is wonderful. you have to set up for it as far back as 2 corners and its super tricky to nail. dip the right rear ever so slightly over the line into the grass on the approach but don't clip the curb on the left too hard on the way out or it'll launch you right into the stone. get through there in a hurry and that whole back straight is yours for some serious passing.
  • FoxdenRacing - September 9, 2010 4:44 p.m.

Crud...I forgot one other epic turn. Smokey Mountain, turn one, Gran Turismo 3. That long, long final straight, leap off the hill, and immediately after landing...SHARP LEFT TURN! The turn can be taken with an awesome level of epic by throwing the car just right at the beginning of the jump, so that it's already slowing and sliding the instant it hits the pavement. Slide some of the speed off, the tires bite, hang the back bumper just a hair's breadth from the outside wall, and power into the dirt part of the track...
  • FoxdenRacing - September 9, 2010 4:40 p.m.

I'm surprised that the final turn of Maple Valley Raceway in the Forza series didn't get at least an honorable mention. The better you are at racing, the harder the corner gets...easy to take if you wimp out across the top of the hill, its real challenge comes when you come out of the long uphill horseshoe with the tires screaming and can run the next section flat out. Screaming down the hill with a full head of steam, that final corner will make or break your race. Turning into it with only a heartbeat-long blip of throttle takes a lot of guts and even more faith; throw it at the inside wall in a suicidal dive, get so close that gravity itself pulls the paint from your door and puts it on the wall, hang on tight across the bumps trusting the car will stick, and settle in just inches from the pit wall. Done properly, it's a beautiful thing...the wall looming ominously on the right falls away to the open air of the straight...and a huge advantage over wimpier opponents as you scream towards the line. Nip the inside edge, and your car's as good as destroyed, thrown right into the end of the pit wall. Panic on the bumps and adjust your line, and be thrown into the pits themselves, or worse, slide to a stop sideways in front of a herd of charging cars. Come in too high and you end up in the grass...or even worse, slamming the concrete right in front of an ambulance just WAITING for you to screw up right then and there. It's been a few years since I've picked it up, but F-Zero GX had a few wicked ones as well...one on a Mute City track that's a sharp right-hander right after a long straight and amazingly tight hairpin; screw it up and pinball everywhere, but figure out how to scream through full-throttle and you'll fly past the competition...while hitting the recharge strip. It's also got that wicked left-right chicane on the one Big Blue track. The corner that seems impossible, once nailed, is a thing of beauty. Same for the 90* right, hairpin left combo on Surface Slide. Another honorable mention goes to the hairpin roughly halfway through the Nurburgring's Nordschleife. The road eases right and suddenly drops away, with the only indicator of where or when to turn being an enormous tree...the sharp downhill followed by a low-speed banked hairpin left. In the Forza series, it even comes with a helpful hint written right on the pavement: 'Blip!'
  • JohnnyApplesperm - September 9, 2010 4:28 p.m.

Interesting idea for an article, nice job Justin. I cannot count how many times that stupid corner in Grand Valley has completely f*cked me over. God I love that game. And I think it was in GT2, I spent several hours trying to complete a 1-lap run of Laguna Seca for one of the license tests... you can guess which corner always gave me the most trouble!
  • TFUPrivateIron - September 9, 2010 4:28 p.m.

Why does OutRun 2006 look like it was made in 1998?
  • oufour - September 9, 2010 4:25 p.m.

no comment.
  • Ensoul - September 9, 2010 4:23 p.m.

I'm far from a racing or care guy but I remember Turn 2, Grand Valley. First time I took it with the Corvette; back end slide out from under me so fast it felt like I was driving one second and making gravel donuts the next. Burnout: Take down had some good corners I thought.
  • scsmith1 - September 9, 2010 4:20 p.m.

Looking forward to an article about left turns.
  • ventanger - September 9, 2010 4:03 p.m.

This is the second or third greatest article about corners ever.